Factory installed HID projectors

Oliver

Reaction score
Visit site
When will Yamaha start replacing the halogen lights with HIDs and projectors like they did with the R1 back in 2004? Would spare us a lot of retrofitting. I suppose it would make the bike a bit more expensive but I can't think of any other disadvantages.

It's one of those "extras" that probably won't make it to the FZ6. Remember that it's a budget bike, and the niceties like projectors, adjustable suspension, good seats, monoblock calipers, etc, are reserved for the bieks that cost $8K+.

If you haven't seen them yet, check out the HID retrofit threads in the mod section.

I have my parts on the way from eBay. Total cost should be under well $250, which is probably a lot less than Yamaha would charge for that option ...

I've actually read them several times and I like the idea of doing such things myself. Unfortunately I don't have neither the time nor the right tools/skills to perform any such modifications right now.

I believe Fizzer6 over on sportbikes.net offered to perform the mod for ~$550? You send him your headlight unit and he installs the projectors and all wiring. You simply need to plug and play into your wiring upon return.

That's still cheaper than a factory option would run you ...

That's a nice way to go unless you happen to live in Sweden in which case the shipping alone would cost a fortune

For what it's worth, I was one of the original people to do the projector retrofits into my FZ6 (headlights now owned by Lazamus). I had no idea what I was really doing and certainly didn't have the right tools, but I made it work. All I had was a bench vice, a hand saw, and a dremel. I should have had a more powerful wheel cutter/grinder instead of the dremel as the lack of torque made the job take forever. Nonetheless, it is totally doable if you have the patience to do the job a little at a time to make sure it is done right. I bought an extra headlight (used) as the donor for the project in order to keep my bike usable during the process.:thumbup:

As others have said, the FZ is a budget bike and will likely never have the luxury of projectors or adjustable suspension. It's just the nature of the beast.

Back