EZ Pass ... Where to mount it?

NJ GUS

Reaction score
Visit site
In NJ, you can have multible tags on the same account. I had the standard white one stuck to the back of the windscreen with the adhesive stickers it came with but it was too easy for someone to take it. I have the black license plate unit also. I used heavy duty velcro and stuck it ti the front of the radiator. (not in the cooling area.)It's pretty much invisible and tucks nicely behind the fairing.

View attachment 4359

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
New Jersey may have one of the lowest gas prices in the country, but you guys end up paying for it in other ways, like tolls. One thing I like out west, no tolls roads! Or at least very little of it. It cost you a damn fortune to travel across the NY State Thruway from Buffalo to Albany. You guys in the NE are getting ripped off.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
New Jersey may have one of the lowest gas prices in the country, but you guys end up paying for it in other ways, like tolls. One thing I like out west, no tolls roads! Or at least very little of it. It cost you a damn fortune to travel across the NY State Thruway from Buffalo to Albany. You guys in the NE are getting ripped off.

Property taxes are highest in the country. Toll roads and property taxes are killer here. I pay 5k a year on a $100k house.

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
EZ Pass in MA (Fastlane) comes with extra-strong velcro tabs for car windshield. If you call them up and ask, they will mail you an extra set of velcro that you can use on the windscreen of the bike. The velcro is VERY strong, so there's no way it'll just fall off.

MTA - FAST LANE FAQs

My bike happened to already have those velcro tabs on the windscreen when I bought it, so far it's working great.

Postal1979

Reaction score
Visit site
That is correct. Keep in mind however, some toll booths have a gate that will not open unless you have the device on you and it can be red.

Also, keep in mind that the device has to be positioned with the back slightly facing up for it to work (same company makes all devices for different states)
Tucking it in between the bottom of the wind-screen and fairing works well, but as someone stated it can "jump" out when hitting a nice bump.

I have mounted mine under the fairing, it works through plastic and it's invisible to thiefs.

I am not sure about different states, but in Illinois and Indiana you will get picked when blowing a tool in EzPass (I-Pass) lane. I have gotten a ticket with nice license plate picture before purchasing the unit.

Cheers!

I actually emailed Ipass about something for a motorcycle and they said they are in the works to make something smaller for them. They also said just keep it in your pocket, if it doesnt go off they will check your plate in database and just remove the toll fee from acct. no limited number of times. I did ask about it cause on the website it says that after numerous times of them having to look in database that they will charge more, but they said for bikes they wont. I actually had a lady on the phone tell me to tke it out of my pocket and hold it up.. I told her Im not going to take my hands of the bars. She was like oh.. then she was stumped. .. but they just need to make a small little black ring that can be screwed onto bars that wont look ugly.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks. I have 2 bikes (Vstar 1300T and FZ6) so I end up using the velcro/sticky stuff that comes with EZpass on the Vstar 1300T windshield; works very well.

I'm trying to figure a good place on the FZ6. I like the suggestions here (e.g., under the fairing) but I need to easily remove it to put it onto the other bike.

I've been putting it in my tank bag but if I don't bring the tank bag, I have no place to put it.

Any good place to put the EZpass that is easy to get at so I can remove it occasionally?

Also, I've never covered it on the Vstar 1300T and it is in clear view on the windshield -- never worried about it being stolen because I think as soon as you report it stolen, the next user will get bagged.

Another thing, I'd like it in such a way so that if the velcro gives out (e.g., it wears out), the EZpass will fall into a place on the bike that can be recovered.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Velcro it to the windscreen

The screen is a smoke style Puig. Do you think it will still be readable? I was contemplating the screen but way down at the lowest part so it's somewhat easy to remove but you don't really notice it.

I've not tried it but I'm hoping if the velcro wears out, it will just fall and not fall through onto the ground.

Thanks.

Dennis

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Last Saturday I went to Orlando via 528 (toll road) using my SunPass (prepaid toll) inside the left pocket of my mesh jacket.

I checked my account today (both my car and the bike are registered to that device) and the toll was deducted only from one location (back and forth) from several of them.
I was riding the high speed lanes. I did not ride the while lane and actually was trying to make sure I was not blocking the device as I was going under the sensors.

I'll wait to see if I get any notifications for "failing to pay tolls".
I'm not aware of them having a better (or any) system for the bikes (which pay the same toll as a regular car or SUV!!!!).

Initially I was temped to put the device under the windshield and the instrumentation cluster, but was thinking it could just fly away.

I'll investigate different options found here...

Another time, there were 3 bikes riding this same road and it was a pain since one bike will stop in front and pay for the three of us, but we had to go as the person in the toll booth will signal us!!!!!!!

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
When I got my TXTAG for the toll lanes in Houston I was told to fix it to my windscreen. I told a little lie and said I didn't have one so was told that I could just put it in the pocket of my jacket or my "saddle bag". I put it in the front pocket of my tank bag and it's been just fine since then. YMMV.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How about inside the fairing? you should be able to take off the left or right side panel install it and reinstall the panel?

darkstofknightz

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a EZ pass and I just throw it under the seat. I registered it to my bike, so they check to see if I have a EZ pass before they mail me any tickets. Shortly after I got my EZ pass I installed a swing arm license plate mount and since thats been on I haven't really had to pay any tolls :thumbup:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have any good ideas where to mount it on an FZ6N? Used to keep mine on the underside of the windscreen but now that I am naked, not quite sure where to put it. I live in NY, and the only type of tag we have is the big bulky white one.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have any good ideas where to mount it on an FZ6N? Used to keep mine on the underside of the windscreen but now that I am naked, not quite sure where to put it. I live in NY, and the only type of tag we have is the big bulky white one.

Don't know what it is like in NY, but ere in Illinois, I don't even carry my ipass (same as ez) anymore, as they do "video" or vtolls. Basically, try check the license plate of my FZ6 and deduct automatically. So, I just leave the unit in the jeep.

There is no extra charge and I've had no problems doing it this way for over a year. I had called to see where else I could mount it on the bike and she told me to not even worry about it.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know what it is like in NY, but ere in Illinois, I don't even carry my ipass (same as ez) anymore, as they do "video" or vtolls. Basically, try check the license plate of my FZ6 and deduct automatically. So, I just leave the unit in the jeep.

There is no extra charge and I've had no problems doing it this way for over a year. I had called to see where else I could mount it on the bike and she told me to not even worry about it.

Scorp

Unfortunately it doesnt work that way here. You need the tag to trigger the gate or it will not open. This can result in additional charges or fines.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately it doesnt work that way here. You need the tag to trigger the gate or it will not open. This can result in additional charges or fines.

I forgot about the ones with a gate :(

All the ones for me will either be open road lanes at highway speed or exit ramps that don't have a gate.

Sorry.

I will say this: The interlock strips they supplied with my unit is pretty impressive. Used to have mine on the inside of the windscreen and despite speed/nasty bumps, that thing stayed on solid. I imagine if there is a place to tuck it under the cluster it would hold.

Some people have strapped them to their arms, put them in jackets, etc. you could also go this route--http://motorcyclepass.com/

Sorry if some of this is repetitive.

Scorp

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot about the ones with a gate :(

All the ones for me will either be open road lanes at highway speed or exit ramps that don't have a gate.

Sorry.

I will say this: The interlock strips they supplied with my unit is pretty impressive. Used to have mine on the inside of the windscreen and despite speed/nasty bumps, that thing stayed on solid. I imagine if there is a place to tuck it under the cluster it would hold.

Some people have strapped them to their arms, put them in jackets, etc. you could also go this route--http://motorcyclepass.com/

Sorry if some of this is repetitive.

Scorp

Yea man, those plastic velcro like mounts that come with the EZpass are very strong, and I have never had mine fall off with thousands of miles of use when I used to have it on my windscreen. I have tried the jacket pocket method before, and for some reason it did not trigger the gate. I am wondering if I pulled apart the EZpass if there would be some small little chip inside that I could attach to the front of the bike..

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if the 2008 has the same perch I used on my 2006.

You see those 3 velcro stips? That's is where I attach my Ez-pass tag. You can remove it easily if you have to (like when the @#%$#^ gate doesn't go up).

I simply call ez-pass every few months to get more of these strips.. so now I have a supply.

Edit: Duh. your bike has no fairing!!

Last edited: