Extremely stupid chain slack question????

NIN

Reaction score
Visit site
Straight up I am totally new to wrenching on my own bike. When adjusting my chain slack per the owners manual, with it on the center stand and adjusting it to spec, I notice that the chain comes into contact with the rubber attachment located on the top of the swing arm right above the measuring point for adjusting the slack. Does the centrifugal force when the chain is under load keep it off of this when running or am I a total idiot and have the slack wrong??:confused:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Straight up I am totally new to wrenching on my own bike. When adjusting my chain slack per the owners manual, with it on the center stand and adjusting it to spec, I notice that the chain comes into contact with the rubber attachment located on the top of the swing arm right above the measuring point for adjusting the slack. Does the centrifugal force when the chain is under load keep it off of this when running or am I a total idiot and have the slack wrong??:confused:
Tell us how you a measuring the slack and which point of the chain are you using to measure the slack?
Nelly

NIN

Reaction score
Visit site
I am using the using the point referenced in the manual, which is one of the mounting points for the chain guard/wheel hugger on the swing arm just behind the rear sets. I then got the chain to the tightest point, and with a metal ruler I measured from the bottom of the swing arm to the top of the chain, then pulled the chain all the way up. I then adjusted it until it had right under 2 inches of free play. All this was done with it on the center stand, and I also used the Motion Pro chain alignment tool to make sure it was lined up.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am using the using the point referenced in the manual, which is one of the mounting points for the chain guard/wheel hugger on the swing arm just behind the rear sets. I then got the chain to the tightest point, and with a metal ruler I measured from the bottom of the swing arm to the top of the chain, then pulled the chain all the way up. I then adjusted it until it had right under 2 inches of free play. All this was done with it on the center stand, and I also used the Motion Pro chain alignment tool to make sure it was lined up.
The chain adjustment is done slightly different in the Haynes manual.
The measuring point for the ruler is taken from just behind the chain slider.
Pull the chain down to measure the run out and then push the chain up to measure the run out. Subtract the second measurement form the first to get the slack measurement.
Don't move the ruler when taking either measurements. Check the entire chain as there are likely to be more than one tight spot. Ensure that there are no tight or kinked links.
Have you got a link for the chain adjustment tool your using?
Nelly

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
You have the slack near enough to right to relax about it. :)

My personal suggestion is to maintain the MAXIMUM slack allowed, using the tightest point in the chain as your reference. The plastic guard on top of the swingarm is there to protect the aluminum from the chain...... Yamaha would not have spent the money to develop that part if they didn't think it would be hit.

If a chain is kept at the tight end of the adjustment range, you risk stretching it. A loose(r) chain will out last a tight chain by a large margin just due to that. Not to mention bearing and sprocket damage.....

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

My personal suggestion is to maintain the MAXIMUM slack allowed, using the tightest point in the chain as your reference. The plastic guard on top of the swingarm is there to protect the aluminum from the chain...... Yamaha would not have spent the money to develop that part if they didn't think it would be hit.

If a chain is kept at the tight end of the adjustment range, you risk stretching it. A loose(r) chain will out last a tight chain by a large margin just due to that. Not to mention bearing and sprocket damage.....

+1. Normal for chain to touch the plastic guard at the top. Remember that when you're sitting on the bike, suspension compresses and the chain won't be nearly as close to that guard as it is when the bike is on center stand.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Agreed - these bikes are much happier on the loose side of the spec.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When the bike is on the center stand the control arm comes down giving the chain a different angle. Once the swing arm is straight aka when your sitting on it the chain does not ride on the plastic guard, follow the instructions Nelly gave you or purchase a Haynes manual Hardcover is only 25$ ish on amazon very worth it. As long as its in specs it will be fine give it a small test ride check for excessive noise coming from the chain, i am sure you did it right you are just second guessing yourself, i had the same questions the first go around. but +1 on the loose side of the measurement i think you will get more miles out of sprockets bearings chain etc. Keep wrenching only way to really know what stuff is made out off.:rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When the bike is on the center stand the control arm comes down giving the chain a different angle. Once the swing arm is straight aka when your sitting on it the chain does not ride on the plastic guard, follow the instructions Nelly gave you or purchase a Haynes manual Hardcover is only 25$ ish on amazon very worth it. As long as its in specs it will be fine give it a small test ride check for excessive noise coming from the chain, i am sure you did it right you are just second guessing yourself, i had the same questions the first go around. but +1 on the loose side of the measurement i think you will get more miles out of sprockets bearings chain etc. Keep wrenching only way to really know what stuff is made out off.:rockon:

The owners manual has instructions on the adjustment procedure.

If you need a genuine Yamaha SHOP (PDF) manual, PM me with an address and I'll e-mail it for free...

NIN

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome. Thanks for all your help. Time to hit up the Clinton Lake loop West of Lawrence:Sport:

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
As everyone says, It sounds like you are good to go. Yes it will hit on the upper chain plastic guard on the center stand.

A happy chain is a slappy chain, :thumbup:

Too tight is not good.

Marc

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome. Thanks for all your help. Time to hit up the Clinton Lake loop West of Lawrence:Sport:

The purpose of the those chain sliders (top and bottom) is to keep the chain from making contact with your swingarm as the suspension moves up and down...