Exhaust odor/smell in clothes?

SIMN

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello

Is it common for fz6-n/s to make your clothes smell exhaust/gas after just a 10 min ride? My pants smell bad, someone else have this problem? Sorry for my english but its not my native language :(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, you shouldn't have that at all...

Sounds like you may have a leak where the header bolts to the head.

There's a gasket that fits in between the header and head:

Parts #3: Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W EXHAUST Diagram

Also, check the tightness of the header nuts and or any cracks in the area (extremely un-usual and NOT likely)

It IS possible that your CAT, and /or joints are leaking (basically under the seat) and the fumes are being pulled into the "low pressure area"
behind your legs while underway. There's also gaskets where the CAT plugs into the rest of the system.

*You need to give the exhaust system overall a good going over, there's a bad leak somewhere for it to stick to your clothes...

Last edited:

SIMN

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, you shouldn't have that at all...

Sounds like you may have a leak where the header bolts to the head.

There's a gasket that fits in between the header and head:

Parts #3: Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W EXHAUST Diagram

Also, check the tightness of the header nuts and or any cracks in the area (extremely un-usual and NOT likely)

It IS possible that your CAT, and /or joints are leaking (basically under the seat) and the fumes are being pulled into the "low pressure area"
behind your legs while underway. There's also gaskets where the CAT plugs into the rest of the system.

*You need to give the exhaust system overall a good going over, there's a bad leak somewhere for it to stick to your clothes...

Thanks you Scott,

Going over the exhaust later today. My thoughts were that it is because we have our pipes right under us (bellow our butt) and thats why my pants smell. Do you think it can be the gasket that fits in between the header and head? Because my jeans smell right in the butt? Im just thinking :confused: But very useful post, thank you again

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the smell is at the back of your pants, I'd be thinking, a leak around the CAT and just the draft right at your back is pulling it up.

That or its leaking out the sides, behind your legs and again upwards.

A cigarette(use caution obviously), or some sort of smoking object held near each joint as the bike is running (maybe some rev's) should help pin point down any leakage....

Is the bike new to you??? If so, the previous owner may have knocked out a gasket or who knows.

Your the FIRST, anyone's posted here about exhaust smell on their clothing...

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be the second one to post about the smell. My family members always complain when I come in from a ride, saying that I stink. I verified that the exhaust isn't leaking at the y-pipe and cat delete. Guess I'll try to take the headers and cat pipe off and replace the gasket on the headers. Would be a good time to polish them too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SIMN

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be the second one to post about the smell. My family members always complain when I come in from a ride, saying that I stink. I verified that the exhaust isn't leaking at the y-pipe and cat delete. Guess I'll try to take the headers and cat pipe off and replace the gasket on the headers. Would be a good time to polish them too.

How did you check for leaks? And where on your clothes do you smell?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As for where its coming from, it kinda depends on where the smell is on your clothing.
If it was up by the header, yes it'd get blown back but just the wind should dissipate a
good part of it..

Often, with an exhaust leak, you can also hear it. IF a head to header gasket is bad, that NEEDS to be
repaired at least for the engines sake as it can cause damage..

Question for both of you please...

Do you have an aftermarket fuel controller installed???

If its running on the richer side, I'd think you'll be more likely to have those "richened fumes" attach to your clothes.

My "sniffer" works EXTREMELY well, and I don't have any exhaust odors on my clothes...
(I can smell someone smoking 3-4 cars ahead of me while underway at up to 40 MPH)...

A very close inspection should find it, listening, the lit cigarette smoke rising, etc...

Last edited:

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
How did you check for leaks? And where on your clothes do you smell?

I DO NOT have a fuel controller installed on my bike. I have a cat delete pipe that I didn't put on and a Scorpion slip on that I did put on. I have no doubt that my bike is running rich because of it, only problem with that hypothesis though is that I still had the stinky exhaust problem when I had the stock exhaust on. I've had the problem pretty much as long as I can remember. A few years ago I had a knucklehead(I found out about that later) mechanic change the clutch when one of the plates broke. He told me pieces of the clutch went into the belly pan so he had to take the headers off and drop the belly pan. My hypothesis is that he just reused the old gaskets and one of them tore/cracked while he was taking it off/on and he just ignored it.

I think I might ride down to where you are at Townsernd so you can smell my bike. lmao :D

As Townsend suggested having a smoking object placed near the joints on the exhaust should reveal where the leak is. I will be doing that before I do start taking anything off.

I just went and smelled my pants after riding into town today and they smell like they are freshly out of the dentists office. All parts of my pants. Smelling my shirt however I definitely get some strong exhaust tones. I sound like a professional wine taster, lol. hmm. :mikebike:

I will report back when I check for a leak.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Come on down!!!!!! You next on the "Price is Right"!

Now I have the open Scorps but left the CAT in... Perhaps there's that much air un-scrubbed / ? with the CAT delete...

Is the air pump still in the valve cover (for crankcase fumes to get burned off)?...

Your more than welcome to come on down, BUT, buy all new gaskets and we'll swap em out. The exhaust nuts have already been
broke loose so those shouldn't be an issue...

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the air pump still in the valve cover (for crankcase fumes to get burned off)?....

What do you mean? I am not familiar with this.

Haha thanks for the invite, if you didn't live so far down the Gulf I would definitely stop by just to shake the hand and buy a beer for the guy who has easily helped me the most on this forum! I have family North of Tampa but you're quite a ways from that. Maybe someday thanks for the offer!

So I think I may have found the leak or at least A major leak. I tried the cigarette trick you recommended but didn't yield any results. That is until the bike on a cold night started to warm up. Moisture started spitting out of the joint on the y-pipe/cat delete. Check out the photo you can see. Quite a bit of moisture I might add. How can I fix this? The stock exhaust had some sort of weird net gasket thing, but I don't think it will fit with the Scorp y-pipe with it being a much smaller diameter. This all adds up though, because I noticed when I took off the Stocker to put on the Scorp the gasket thing was like halfway on the joint. It was sticking out, and not flush in the stocks link pipe like it is supposed to be I think?

IMG_20161013_202751.jpg

ATTACHED: You can see all the moisture on the coil over from the joint where it was spitting out on that side.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A pic says a thousand words!

That clamp is NOT the correct clamp for the exhaust, its for a car .

The stock, Yamaha clamp is attached to the muffler pipe. Aftermarket pipes have a full wrap around
clamp that seals much better and spreads the "load" over a MUCH wider area (approx 1" vs 1/8" )

You'll likely end up calling your aftermarket pipe manufacturer and ordering the correct clamp.

If you have more clamps like that, PITCH EM and get the correct ones.

Click on the below parts fisch:
Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W EXHAUST Diagram

Part #18, is the proper gasket that SHOULD be in there. It could very well be buggered up or missing.
It's somewhat fragile so installation can easily destroy it if your sloppy / in a hurry...

You'll notice that clamp for that joint is part of the muffler and is MUCH wider than that car clamp...
(can't order it from Yamaha).

Unfortunately, who ever tightened down that clamp (which squeezes down in a VERY NARROW POINT) may
be an issue. You may end up bringing both pipes (where clamped) to a muffler shop and see if they can open up/
un-do what / IF that clamp damage may have done (one really tight spot where it tightens down). If it's not
visibly crimped, you should be ok.

Get the correct clamp(s) and new gaskets ordered (and line up a muffler shop just in case)...

Also, I used the stock Yamaha gasket with my Scorps (with the CAT), again, that gasket is easily destroyed.
Slow and steady. Per the below link from Scorpion, you DO use the stock Yamaha gaskets

I could only find the cat delete pipe(shown below) but you can see the style clamp needed.
Call / e-mail them about the exact clamp(s) you'll need...

http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/siteadmin/site_images/uploaded_documents/1521_01~_eya-84-cr_00.pdf

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Discard this as you please, but when I fitted my GPR Ghost exhaust the stock gasket wouldn't fit, absolutely no chance. So I fitted it with no gasket, just using one of those all round clamps that Scott mentions. It had a slight puff on first run up, but must have coked up or just sealed itself since, as there's no sign of a leak now.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
A pic says a thousand words!

That clamp is NOT the correct clamp for the exhaust, its for a car .

The stock, Yamaha clamp is attached to the muffler pipe. Aftermarket pipes have a full wrap around
clamp that seals much better and spreads the "load" over a MUCH wider area (approx 1" vs 1/8" )

You'll likely end up calling your aftermarket pipe manufacturer and ordering the correct clamp.

If you have more clamps like that, PITCH EM and get the correct ones.

Click on the below parts fisch:
Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W EXHAUST Diagram

Part #18, is the proper gasket that SHOULD be in there. It could very well be buggered up or missing.
It's somewhat fragile so installation can easily destroy it if your sloppy / in a hurry...

You'll notice that clamp for that joint is part of the muffler and is MUCH wider than that car clamp...
(can't order it from Yamaha).

Unfortunately, who ever tightened down that clamp (which squeezes down in a VERY NARROW POINT) may
be an issue. You may end up bringing both pipes (where clamped) to a muffler shop and see if they can open up/
un-do what / IF that clamp damage may have done (one really tight spot where it tightens down). If it's not
visibly crimped, you should be ok.

Get the correct clamp(s) and new gaskets ordered (and line up a muffler shop just in case)...

Also, I used the stock Yamaha gasket with my Scorps (with the CAT), again, that gasket is easily destroyed.
Slow and steady. Per the below link from Scorpion, you DO use the stock Yamaha gaskets

I could only find the cat delete pipe(shown below) but you can see the style clamp needed.
Call / e-mail them about the exact clamp(s) you'll need...

http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/siteadmin/site_images/uploaded_documents/1521_01~_eya-84-cr_00.pdf
I hope the pipes aren't crimped....

So I just ordered this one: MIKALOR SUPRA HEAVY DUTY STAINLESS STEEL MOTORCYCLE EXHAUST CLAMP | eBay

In the 51-55mm variation.

I think I might try to drill off the tac weld on the stock clamp to use in the mean time.

The exhaust did leak when the stock exhaust was on too? I guess it was just because I had the gasket on wrong.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know with my CAT on and just doing the Scorp slip on's (I installed myself), it did use the stock yamaha "gasket" inside (it didn't get tore up).

As stated earlier, it's NOT hard to bugger it up. Unless Scorpion changed something, get a new yamaha gasket and just go slow.

That clamp looks like the Scorpion clamp. (I'd oil up the threads on the clamp and any moving parts only so you can get it as tight as possible)

Again, if the outer pipe is crimped in, a muffler shop should be able to use an "expander" to open it up.
BUT obviously, NOT TOO FAR or it'll never seal...

As for Payneib's fitment, I believe him but that's comparing two different systems.

Last edited:

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I know with my CAT on and just doing the Scorp slip on's (I installed myself), it did use the stock yamaha "gasket" inside (it didn't get tore up).

As stated earlier, it's NOT hard to bugger it up. Unless Scorpion changed something, get a new yamaha gasket and just go slow.

That clamp looks like the Scorpion clamp. (I'd oil up the threads on the clamp and any moving parts only so you can get it as tight as possible)

Again, if the outer pipe is crimped in, a muffler shop should be able to use an "expander" to open it up.
BUT obviously, NOT TOO FAR or it'll never seal...

As for Payneib's fitment, I believe him but that's comparing two different systems.
Okay thanks. I'll just try to use the gasket I have because it is still intact. Where does the clamp go exactly on the joint? It sits flush with the end of the y-pipe right? Or is it back like a 1/4 of a inch like the stock one is?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll see slots in the outer pipe so that can be pulled in to the "inner pipe" / gasket.

Just get the new clamp in the middle of those slots, which will likely be close to the end.

There's a WHOLE lot more surface area getting clamped together vs that old style automotive clamp had.

The stock torque for that clamp is 15ft lbs. If your gasket isn't tore up, it should be fine...

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll see slots in the outer pipe so that can be pulled in to the "inner pipe" / gasket.

Just get the new clamp in the middle of those slots, which will likely be close to the end.

There's a WHOLE lot more surface area getting clamped together vs that old style automotive clamp had.

The stock torque for that clamp is 15ft lbs. If your gasket isn't tore up, it should be fine...
Okay thanks. I'm having a hard time getting the old gasket out but I've only had a couple of minutes to try. I'm talking a slim flat head and carefully jamming it between the seal and pipe to break it free. It's really stuck.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay thanks. I'm having a hard time getting the old gasket out but I've only had a couple of minutes to try. I'm talking a slim flat head and carefully jamming it between the seal and pipe to break it free. It's really stuck.

Spray some liquid wrench all about there. There's many heat cycles to help it mate with the metal...

I don't think I removed mine when I did the swap (its been awhile, 6-7 years).

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so I got it removed and removed the entire exhaust. For the meantime until my clamp gets here I am going to move one of the can clamps to the Y-pipe. However I have a problem. As someone else stated in another thread the gasket is the same size as the Scorpion Y-pipe. Did you just 'scrunch' it down and force it into the Y-pipe? I feel like this will not work. Are you sure you are using the stock gasket?

Same Size:
DFLbQ5o.jpg

Cat-Delete looks oval
DPOSzVJ.jpg

Y-pipe looks oval
TvDEHkg.jpg

Do you think that I could pick up something like this at the auto parts store if it fits? Bosal Exhaust Gasket H4000449370BSL: Advance Auto Parts

I believe the ID of the Y-pipe is 51mm, or maybe that is the OD?

Last edited: