Exhaust Mod Question!

fazer117

Reaction score
Visit site
So today I fired up my bike to go to class and head out towards the highway. I'm doing the limit in the center lane when out of the blue a pickup truck just cuts me off and gets in my lane. I got to brake soon enough, preventing any accident... (thank God).

This incident got me thinking, and I have decided to make my bike LOUDER! :rockon:

I was looking around online to see for a suitable exhaust system and I found some that both looked and sound great... but the real question is the $... I'm a college student and at this point I cant afford to buy a $550~+ system, so I'm thinking about just putting straight pipes on my bike like this dude:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTTK2vlAkHg]YouTube - FZ6 w/ straight pipes test run[/ame]

The setup this guy has cost him around $50 (flex pipe, tips). The sound of the straight pipes sounds KILLER in my opinion.

What are the pro's and con's of a straight pipe setup?

Are the pro's > con's?

I'd like to hear some opinions before doing any sort of modification on the exhaust on my bike :Flash:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't get an exhaust just to be more audible, you might get lucky and it might have that effect but relying on it is just asking for trouble.

If you butcher your standard pipes and get defaulted your in for trouble, might be an idea to try and get a second hand set and rip the guts out.
Otherwise if your looking at a proper aftermarket exhaust thats just the price you pay. Worth it too if you ask me, but I just saved for a while for mine.
Also videos can be a bit inaccurate at actually showing the note your going to get and the volume, but I'd say from that video as a straight through that exhaust is extremely loud, which probably means you'll draw attention, and not always the good sort.

Up to you in the end, I think you get what you pay for, most people who have done a mod like this tend to end up with an aftermarket exhaust anyway, but you would want your stock exhaust for resale (if thats a possibility in the future)

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
Take that $50 and your stock exhaust to a welding or muffler shop and have them cut it open and remove the baffles. I did this and it sounds great.

fazer117

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the different viewpoints! I was reading up on straight pipe setups and I found that installing them would create way more back pressure into the engine when the throttle is eased off, this creating a problem in the long term.

I guess I'll just have to save up some money later for an aftermarket exhaust :confused:

Tony Basson

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the sound of a pipe is purely for enjoyment, not safety. My experience is that you normally only here a loud bike when it is next to, or ahead of you, and not behind. So, it won't help the average comatose motorist avoid trying to kill you.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
So today I fired up my bike to go to class and head out towards the highway. I'm doing the limit in the center lane when out of the blue a pickup truck just cuts me off and gets in my lane. I got to brake soon enough, preventing any accident... (thank God).

This incident got me thinking, and I have decided to make my bike LOUDER! :rockon:

I was looking around online to see for a suitable exhaust system and I found some that both looked and sound great... but the real question is the $... I'm a college student and at this point I cant afford to buy a $550~+ system, so I'm thinking about just putting straight pipes on my bike like this dude:

YouTube - FZ6 w/ straight pipes test run

The setup this guy has cost him around $50 (flex pipe, tips). The sound of the straight pipes sounds KILLER in my opinion.

What are the pro's and con's of a straight pipe setup?

Are the pro's > con's?

I'd like to hear some opinions before doing any sort of modification on the exhaust on my bike :Flash:
Lol. I see a comment from someone familiar on that page! :D I remember being really surprised it wasn't more poppy sounding like when you run just the headers on a bike (c'mon, you all know you've done it to see what it sounds like when swapping over pipes/cans). In fact, you can hear what I mean at the end of the vid below of my old bike:-
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKmBvenT6ro[/ame]

allaboutatv

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a vid and sound clip somewhere,will try and find it ,meanwhile here is how you can do it .

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/15495-drilling-out-baffles-guide.html

that doesn't do much and is a waste of time IMO. alittle different sound but nothing louder. that straight pipe video the OP posted actually does sound good. And i believe that loud pipes can help with safety, i know several times while in my truck i have heard bikes before i have seen them.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep the cat, and just put a straight pipe instead of the muffler.

Cheap, just one pipe.

Louder, but I guess not to loud.
Keep your stock muffler stock. Don't go ruining it.

And raise your CO level.