• Huh???

Votes: 19 13.4%

• Total voters

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Well as many of you know, I am considering dumping my exhaust under the bike and getting rid of my undertail exhaust. This has obviously led to some questions about how this would impact the performance of the bike.

One of the biggest issues I have come up against is the issue of backpressure, is it or is it not needed? Well thanks to various posts from Wavex over time, I have learned that I should probably investigate a little bit before I do anything to rash :eek:

Over the course of the past several months, I have fabbed up a system that I wanted to try (kept the cost under $100 so far), before actually installing it on the bike, I decided to do some research on backpressure and exhaust in general.

Talk about your 'Dark Art'! Well, I read several internet articles on the subject and not surprisingly they all managed to contradict each other. So...I got off of my butt and visited a couple of local mom and pop mechanics shops (auto and motorcycle).

The Fiction Camp:
All of the conversations pretty much provided the same information, basically that if I did not have an EGR Valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) then reducing the back pressure would make the engine perform better and get better gas mileage, as long as I get the engine tuned when I was done.

I asked them why there was so much missinformation about backpressure and they essentially said that the problems that people have experienced by increasing exhaust flow are often blamed on a lack of backpressure, when the real culprit is either, they did not tune the engine correctly after the modification, or they increased the size of their exhaust pipes, which reduces the exhaust gas velocity and causes positive pressure near the end of the pipes, messing up the exhaust pulses.

I asked them why some people think that backpressure increases torque, they said because it does, a little bit, but it does it in the wrong way, it makes the engine work against itself.

The Fact Camp:
I then turned to Jett Tuning in Camarillo, CA: JETT Tuning - Welcome to JETT Tuning - performance for what you ride (very close to where I live :D), I sent them an email with a picture of the design I was contemplating, and the questions I had about backpressure. I also visited the shop and had the pleasure of a more in-depth discussion with John Ethell the owner. John has worked with some of the best racers around. The likes of Reg Pridmore, Jason Pridmore, Fritz Kling, Gerald Rothman, Jake Zemke, Nicky Hayden, Roger Lee Hayden, Miguel DuHamel, Alex Gobert, Aaron Gobert, Josh Hayes, Andrew Short, Davi Millsaps, Kevin Windham, Ernesto Fonseca, and Jeremy McGrath.

After giving the disclaimer that, exhaust is both a science and an art and that their are probably only 2 people on the planet that truly understand it (both of whom he has worked with), John said yes, the engines need the backpressure, they also need to have the exhaust designed in such away that the exhaust pulses will keep the exhaust from pipes 1 and 4 from trying to back flow into pipes 1 and 3 and vice-versa, that he says is why the in-line 4's use a 4-2-1 system with varying lengths of pipe.

Upon further discussion of my design John said that while it was aesthetically pleasing, he would not recommend it as it would most likely cost me performance. We then discussed the possibility of an R6 shorty and agreed that I could probably get the look I wanted without sacrificing performance by going this route, naturally I would still need to dyno tune it when done.

So, given John Ethell's credentials, I am convinced thatBackpressure is Fact. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
my understanding is the gas velocity needs to be high enough so that it creates a suction effect to better empty the burned gases from the cylinder. There is some tradeoff though between too high and too low.

The "unequal length headers" concept is used to time the pressure pulses to avoid reversion of flow back into a cylinder and also to aid the the suctioning of burned gases. You need to factor in the desired rpm range as well as the paramters of the engine when designing.

If you screw with exhaust, you also end up screwing with "cylinder filling" fresh charge (ie unburned fuel/air mixture)....you affect the fueling needs which is what the first tuner you spoke with was alluding to.

"4-stroke performance tuning" by A. Graham Bell is a good read, check it out on Amazon. :thumbup:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Four-Stroke-Performance-Tuning-3rd-practical/dp/1844253147/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285612814&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Four-Stroke Performance Tuning 3rd ed: A practical guide (9781844253142): A. Bell: Books[/ame]

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Like any truly scientific understanding of these physics we would consider how wave length as well as volume interact at specific frequency and volumes at different output and RPM of the motor. I would imagine that you could have standing wave interference much like you would at radio frequency. All of this would be continuously variable at the different rates of output. The R6 exhaust is a viable idea and I believe they incorporate the 'exup valve' to create back pressure which opens to increase volume output of the exhaust system when needed. I think that valve is ECU controlled so that might be a hump to get over. Same with other manufacturers. I believe the FZ1 also has one. Essentially the valve provides the needed back pressure but when the engine could perform better at it's higher output the valve opens and lets the motor breath where the low rpm back pressure is no longer needed.

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Any non-turbo engine needs backpressure, it generates the low rpm torque, but if the engine revs higher than 6K rpm's then the backpressure creates a "cork" in the exhaust flow, it's give and take issue with a high revving engine, low rpm torque or high rpm power, that's why Yamaha created the EXUP valve for the R6 & R1 engines, but stiffed us FZ6 owners.:rolleyes:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
An exhaust has as much effect on how a bike runs as fuel delivery does. Length, and volume (total exhaust space vs. loudness) has a huge impact on how well, or poorly a bike will run.

The FZ1 does come with an EXUP built into the exhaust, just before the muffler. When an aftermarket muffler is installed the EXUP is removed. It does helps the lower end and power transition to the mid-range.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe in the school of some form of back pressure. A four stroke engine's intake and exhaust need to be tuned to provide enough air flow, but also eliminate any standing waves in the exhaust/intake system. Just as long intake runners help low end torque, the right amount of back pressure does the same. And how short intake runners help high RPM breathing, a shorter exhaust system does the same.

However, to get the best results, everything needs to be tuned properly. Just like how two strokes need cylinder scavenging, a four stroke needs the same thing with the exhaust system, you have to keep the gasses flowing smoothly. And do not forget that unless the engine was designed to run short length exhaust runners (like most smaller aircraft engines) you can run the risk of burning valves, as most street engines are designed with some form of back pressure. Removing that pressure can shoot your EGT's (exhaust gas temperature) up pretty quickly, especially under hard use. Sodium filled exhaust valves may be required. For moderate street use, I would not be too worried. All of this work will yield not much in HP gains, but it will help a target RPM range broaden. HP development is based on how much fuel and air you can get into the cylinders. The FZ6 intake and exhaust systems flow pretty good already, so you are not going to find 15HP just by modifying the exhaust system, but you may make some HP/torque curve improvements.

Don't forget that a camshafts lift, duration and overlap play a major role in intake and exhaust system requirements. You generally select a camshaft to work with your desired intake and exhaust systems and operating RPM range.

Tuning an exhaust system is a black art, and those who are good at it fetch a premium price. So I wish you luck in your endeavors. It never hurts to try!!

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
here's what i learned today:
after gutting my catalyst , the bike ran like crap , REAL crap .(i just switched back to original cat)

I punched a hole right under the inlet of the muffler , bike ran like REAL crap , sounded like crap , it made it in the garbage same day.

i might be getting a leo vince or something , everyone recommends a tune or juice box , is this a fact or fiction ? if i decide to dump a fortune on a slip on i would expect my bike to run way better . :thumbup:

on the fz6 stock exhaust backpressure is key, dont touch it , i was experimenting with it but i had a spare stock exhaust

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, there you go. Everyone can stop modding, exploring and researching and simply leave your bike factory stock.

There are so many variables! I have the SV 1000s and I changed from the stock cans to Two Bros. and the bike's bottom end totally changed. Yes is was just a butt dyno but never the less it made so much difference it was undeniable. I also found that the CAT is built into each OEM can so when I changed them it really let the gases flow. That motor liked being open but alas I put the DB killers in and it's quieter but still much better than the stock cans. So I would say just from the obvious experiences that you might find an improvement depending on many factors which would include engine configuration as well. The SV has a V-twin. Factory OEM cans on my bike hindered it.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, there you go. Everyone can stop modding, exploring and researching and simply leave your bike factory stock.

The point is, people spend lots of money using seat of the pants thinking and hearsay to modify a design that was created using resources beyond most of us.

red06 makes the point perfectly a couple of posts above.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
The point is, people spend lots of money using seat of the pants thinking and hearsay to modify a design that was created using resources beyond most of us.

red06 makes the point perfectly a couple of posts above.

You are correct, they do. That is exactly why I started this thread and included input from the average shop as well as from one of the best tuners in the motorcycle race world. So that we as a whole might move forward in our love of modding armed with a little more information :thumbup:

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
Well as many of you know, I am considering dumping my exhaust under the bike and getting rid of my undertail exhaust. This has obviously led to some questions about how this would impact the performance of the bike.

One of the biggest issues I have come up against is the issue of backpressure, is it or is it not needed? Well thanks to various posts from Wavex over time, I have learned that I should probably investigate a little bit before I do anything to rash :eek:

Over the course of the past several months, I have fabbed up a system that I wanted to try (kept the cost under $100 so far), before actually installing it on the bike, I decided to do some research on backpressure and exhaust in general.

Talk about your 'Dark Art'! Well, I read several internet articles on the subject and not surprisingly they all managed to contradict each other. So...I got off of my butt and visited a couple of local mom and pop mechanics shops (auto and motorcycle).

The Fiction Camp:
All of the conversations pretty much provided the same information, basically that if I did not have an EGR Valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) then reducing the back pressure would make the engine perform better and get better gas mileage, as long as I get the engine tuned when I was done.

I asked them why there was so much missinformation about backpressure and they essentially said that the problems that people have experienced by increasing exhaust flow are often blamed on a lack of backpressure, when the real culprit is either, they did not tune the engine correctly after the modification, or they increased the size of their exhaust pipes, which reduces the exhaust gas velocity and causes positive pressure near the end of the pipes, messing up the exhaust pulses.

I asked them why some people think that backpressure increases torque, they said because it does, a little bit, but it does it in the wrong way, it makes the engine work against itself.

The Fact Camp:
I then turned to Jett Tuning in Camarillo, CA: JETT Tuning - Welcome to JETT Tuning - performance for what you ride (very close to where I live :D), I sent them an email with a picture of the design I was contemplating, and the questions I had about backpressure. I also visited the shop and had the pleasure of a more in-depth discussion with John Ethell the owner. John has worked with some of the best racers around. The likes of Reg Pridmore, Jason Pridmore, Fritz Kling, Gerald Rothman, Jake Zemke, Nicky Hayden, Roger Lee Hayden, Miguel DuHamel, Alex Gobert, Aaron Gobert, Josh Hayes, Andrew Short, Davi Millsaps, Kevin Windham, Ernesto Fonseca, and Jeremy McGrath.

After giving the disclaimer that, exhaust is both a science and an art and that their are probably only 2 people on the planet that truly understand it (both of whom he has worked with), John said yes, the engines need the backpressure, they also need to have the exhaust designed in such away that the exhaust pulses will keep the exhaust from pipes 1 and 4 from trying to back flow into pipes 1 and 3 and vice-versa, that he says is why the in-line 4's use a 4-2-1 system with varying lengths of pipe.

Upon further discussion of my design John said that while it was aesthetically pleasing, he would not recommend it as it would most likely cost me performance. We then discussed the possibility of an R6 shorty and agreed that I could probably get the look I wanted without sacrificing performance by going this route, naturally I would still need to dyno tune it when done.

So, given John Ethell's credentials, I am convinced thatBackpressure is Fact. What are your thoughts?

Great thread tarkany, and Ive thanked you twice now.

I am going to take a single can (of the same dimensions) approximatley and see what happens. It should be close with a PC tweak.
If not Scott has a real nice Jardine for sale, I think.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your design is likely less critical IF you're designing AFTER the collector. If you intend to change the individual 4-2-1 header, then you are in the black art realm up to your neck.

That being said, if you stay behind the collector, you can better create the performance desired. I have to say, you would be best served to just get a super trap system and then dial it in using the external plates to achieve the desired back pressure and performance. Why re-invent the wheel when those guys have already done the service and offer it at a very attractive price? ;)

There have already been some of these custom exhausts done with the FZ1 sister members. You should stop by there and read up on those. They made the can themselves then just bought the Super Trap cap and plates to mount to them. A couple of them have come up with something that works well for them. You can likely use the same concept. I believe they did it for under $100 easily.

I believe it is a fact but it is also a myth. I can only explain by saying the back pressure, left to a non-adjustable single solution, can only be dialed in for one very small RPM range, thus for 98% of your RPM range, back pressure is a myth.

The FZ1 does come with, as mentioned but nearly all of the member remove it by replacing the stock can with a slip-on as it is an integral component of the stock can assembly.

I know wiki isn't the best source, but this helps explain it for those that have never researched it. The EXUP was introduced by Yamaha and is now on many bikes by a different name.

Also, a fairly good 10,000 foot overview of exhaust system in general is found here: Exhaust system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here is an excerpt from "back pressure" : Back pressure, in the exhaust sense of the term, of a four-stroke engine is usually termed as being a "bad thing" for performance; however, in the interest of reducing exhaust sound to levels allowable by public noise ordinances, back pressure can be regulated using systems from simple butterfly valves to fully computer controlled units sensing pressure in the exhaust pipe itself.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe backflow is important, on some engines more than others.

Why? After I installed a straight mid pipe(cat delete) on my bike, the idle is incredibly lumpy. Put your hand over one of the pipes or put the cat back in, and it goes away.

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
After changing to LV exhaust system,my FC since has improved from 20km/l to 21.5km/h.Having say that,my bike could be rich to start off with.My temperature dropped by a few deg as well.:Flash:

Mandy27

Bikerbayb
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a thought!,
Does a Top fuel funny car have back pressure, does any real high performance vehicle, such as a motogp bike have back pressure ? seems to me that all these top performers have 1 aim, get the exhaust gases out as soon as possible, that's why the exhausts are so short!

Just a thought:eek:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These guys Exhaust must have some major leaks!!! :BLAA: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKe74wWwteM]YouTube - Top fuel drag bike: Sverre Dahl 6.42sec@364kmh, Mantorp 2005[/ame]

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Somebody needs to explain back pressure to these guys cause they don't have a clue!! :rockon: :BLAA: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJylmVqgvYc]YouTube - Motormania Racing at Polykastro 2009 DRAG BIKE Funny bike Hayabusa turbo Nitrous[/ame]