Excellent video about braking and following distances

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you Erci! If you're an experienced rider you know what happens when you lock that rear wheel. So practicing your braking is important before you're in an emergency stop situation. I've had to do emergency stops where I locked my rear and immediately released it to regain stability so I was able to find a hole and stop safely.
Emergency braking is complex in that beside the motors skills there are the mental aspects of being prepared for the unexpected and developing the automatic responses. I don't like riding in traffic because I feel like cars drivers are as unpredictable as a wild animal. We just keep thinking they're going to behave. Lol! :rolleyes:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha! I was going to post the video but you beat me to it. Just illustrates that if you want to be proficient and excell in all areas of riding a motorcycle, it takes continued practice on a regular basis. This is a life saving skill, so it's important to maintain the highest level. Don't forget to practice your sweves, sometimes swerving is your best corrective action.

Now I must go practice my 12 0'Clock wheelies, just like braking, it takes a lot of practice!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, lets go find a lot, some chock, and a tape measure....

Speed
MPH
15 _ goal stop in 8'
30 _ goal stop in 30'
45 _ goal stop in 67'
60 _ goal stop in 95"

I've heard people say they didnt expect "insert whatever" around the corner... well, fact is it could be squirrel, a dog, a person, a parked car, a gravel wash, or a tree.... so, learn to expect that one day the odds will stack up and be against you. Your life depends on how you act/react to said object.

Practice in the straights, practice in a corner and figure out what you and the bike are capable of. One day you will need to know!

For the record, using cones and lines does not take into account the 65 feet you travel at 45mph before you react to a threat! Most peoples reaction time is ~0.45 seconds and this uses a space rapidly the faster you travel!

Be safe!
And yes, the last entry was a crude calculation and may be off.

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent video, thanks for the share.
Funny thing, I was on the highway today and saw two pieces of logs, probably fallen from a vehicle, one in my lane and the other in the RH lane. Each log measured cir. 12" long and 3" thick and were very rough shaped.
I was not far enough from the car in front of me in order to notice the log and react in any way. It was rather more like "huh, lookadat, could've hit it!"

jeanjesuit

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny thing, I was on the highway today and saw two pieces of logs, probably fallen from a vehicle, one in my lane and the other in the RH lane. Each log measured cir. 12" long and 3" thick and were very rough shaped.
I was not far enough from the car in front of me in order to notice the log and react in any way. It was rather more like "huh, lookadat, could've hit it!"

We have different definitions of fun ;)

Great video btw. Sure could use some controlled practice every now on then.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great video. Anyone who rides in heavy traffic regularly really should practice emergency braking until it happens automatically before you even process the threat. It has saved my ass numerous times already where I only understood what had just happened after slowing down to avoid it.

It's also worth hosing down some asphalt to practice it in the wet. I've gotten bit by that once.

gulfpete

2004 FZ6N
Reaction score
Visit site
Good video. I know I'm a nerd but I have worked out the formula for stopping distance.

mph x mph / 30 / G force = stopping distance in feet

for Aussies and other metric people
kph x kph / 253 / G force = stopping distance in meters

Easy to see that speed is the major factor as it's squared.