European Vs. American

mattcouch

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been sniffing around and looking into the Power Commanders.

All the pre-sets for the FZ6 are mostly all for the "European Models". What's the difference between the European model vs. the American FZ6?

I've got Leo Vince exhaust w/ the db killers removed and an aftermarket air filter, but my bike isn't European (which is what the preset is specified for).

Please advise.

:rtfm:

-Matt

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
You don't really need a PC for this setup. The performance gain would me minimal, if even noticable at best. Over on SBN they were discussing this very thing and the majority of guys with Leos, Two Bro, Ack's, etc all agreed that a PC is not really needed in most cases where the exhaust was just swapped out.

Any performance gains would be minimimal if any. IMHO I would put the PC money towards other mods and goodies first!

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
You're gonna get a lot of answers on this one. Everyone seems to have an opinion on whether or not PC's are really needed if you just swap the exhaust.

My personal opinion is that since you replaced the air filter (and box? or done the air box mod?) and the exhaust, you've made your mix lean and a PC would probably benefit you more than most. Have you removed your cat or replaced?

Like I said, you're going to get a lot of answers.

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
If your giving it more air(aftermarket high flow filter) it will need more fuel or it will run lean.:thumbup:

rodb

junior, well, hardly ...
Reaction score
Visit site
with my 2006 fz6, i always had a spot about 4500 rpm, at light throttle, with strange burping/backfiring sounds - tinkering by the dealer and yamaha canada just moved it up the power band and higher throttle, so i have just had a power commander installed to eliminate the risk of my pistons slowly turning to mush. in my case, really useful - no more burping, AT ALL. i feel better, but now the possibility of being over-rich is present, so maybe the next is a high-flow air filter, new exhaust, etc., etc. (or maybe just have it dyna-tuned!)

[4800 km, 2 days of insurance left and really considering renewal over winter, despite the rain, maybe ice, maybe snow ... ]

rodb

update: happy with pc - renewed insurance to feb. rather than dynatune, i think i will focus on leaning it out (untill i see a problem, then dynatune!) suggestions? i think air filter ....

rtodb

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

O.P.
What year is your bike. The 07 and later have a more adaptive E.F.I. and emission control system.

djensar

Reaction score
Visit site
hi i could possibly help here...

as i am owner of fz6 and i am in greece..

i also have leovince titanium k&n filter , power commander on it and

mapped on official Dynojet Center which costs me a lot...

but to say the whole truth
it worth it....

i am new member so feel free to ask !!!

Nick

anot

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you canadians have the same gas octane as the usa? If so, that is a probable reason for the different maps, i.e. we use higher octane gas in europe.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't really need a PC for this setup. The performance gain would me minimal, if even noticable at best. Over on SBN they were discussing this very thing and the majority of guys with Leos, Two Bro, Ack's, etc all agreed that a PC is not really needed in most cases where the exhaust was just swapped out.

Any performance gains would be minimimal if any. IMHO I would put the PC money towards other mods and goodies first!

I know the fuel injection system is completely different between the FZ's and and other bikes, however..

The easiest way to tell if you need to remap the bike is to pull one of the sparkplugs out. Look and the end. If she is white, then it is lean and you need to get a powercommander or something to adjust the computer.

White = lean
Black = rich
Co-Co Brown = everything is all good.

...my roommate recently purchased a GSX-R 600 and put a two-brothers exhaust on it and when we pulled the plugs a couple thousand miles later, they were a little too white for comfort. On that bike, they are able to tap into the computer and throw some more fuel at it with out having to buy a Powercommander.

-bryan