error 12 bike won't start

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
After changing air filter, and spark plugs, I turned on the bike to see the difference 3 times.. everything looked perfect..

When I was about to leave, I opened the switch, and ......tic-tac....
again... tic-tac---

The starter button will make the "relay" (the one located on top of battery with two 30 amp fuses) work! but not further than that...
I charged the battery as someone said here on the forum....still not starting..

The bike will turn on if pushed! then error 12 will go away...

So I am just looking to see if there is any voltage getting to the starter, since I probably pulled any cable....

Any suggestions welcome
Thanks in advance.

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
I just checked...
When I push the starter button, 12v are getting to it..
So, I was just thinking...

Can this motor be stuck?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Sounds like a bad battery to me. It might read 12VDC, but when a load is applied to it the battery may be bottoming out and can't output the nessicarry amps needed to crank the engine.

If push starting it works and the bike runs fine, I would charge up the battery and give that a try.

Fault Code: 12
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: No normal signals are received from the crankshaft position sensor.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open or short circuit in wiring harness.
Defective crankshaft position sensor.
Malfunction in pickup rotor.
Malfunction in ECU.
Improperly installed sensor.

Fault Codes here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/3131-fault-codes-listed-fz6-service-manual.html

Last edited:

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a bad battery to me. It might read 12VDC, but when a load is applied to it the battery may be bottoming out and can't output the nessicarry amps needed to crank the engine.

If push starting it works and the bike runs fine, I would charge up the battery and give that a try.

Fault Code: 12
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: No normal signals are received from the crankshaft position sensor.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open or short circuit in wiring harness.
Defective crankshaft position sensor.
Malfunction in pickup rotor.
Malfunction in ECU.
Improperly installed sensor.

Fault Codes here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/3131-fault-codes-listed-fz6-service-manual.html

It is between dead battery or stuck motor...
I am still thinking, If I put the voltmeter on the star motor when pushing, Voltage is stable... it is not droping....
I'll be checking if contact on the starter is not properly touching..

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
This may be out there, but you could try push starting it if you live near a hill or have a couple friends to give you a good push. That'd rule out the starter/battery if it fires up. If it's a bad battery, it's certainly conceivable the ECM could be acting up or getting some bogus signals and causing the fault code. Some ECMs (PCMs in cars) are very susceptible to voltage instability.

Just a thought.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
This may be out there, but you could try push starting it if you live near a hill or have a couple friends to give you a good push. That'd rule out the starter/battery if it fires up. If it's a bad battery, it's certainly conceivable the ECM could be acting up or getting some bogus signals and causing the fault code. Some ECMs (PCMs in cars) are very susceptible to voltage instability.

Just a thought.

Carefull there. I had a 'dead battery' that wouldn't start the bike, but once push started, it would run fine. The battery could take enough of a charge to keep the bike running, but not enough to start the bike. So if the bike runs after push starting it, you still can't rule out the battery.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
take the battery out and go get it tested... that will at least solve the problem or eliminate the battery as the problem...

When my battery died it was running fine the day before then I took the bike apart to do a mod and disconnecting the battery was enough to cut out the last leg it was standing on.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
It is between dead battery or stuck motor...
I am still thinking, If I put the voltmeter on the star motor when pushing, Voltage is stable... it is not droping....
I'll be checking if contact on the starter is not properly touching..

You're checking voltage between the starter's + terminal and ground? That's not a good test because you're only reading the voltage drop across the starter.

What you need to do is test between the battery's + terminal and ground. Watch it with the bike off, then turn the ignition on, and then try to start the bike.

When you hit the starter, if the voltage falls below 10, you need a new battery.

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
SOLVED!!!

The problem was inside the starter....
Voltage was getting to starter but was not dropping...so I conclude it was not stuck.
I removed it and found one of the brushes stuck, so it wasnt making contact....
a little cleaning, and positioning the gaskets.....

That's it... Working perfectly..
thanks for all of your advises..

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
gusss.......

Just so I know, what year is your FZ6, and how many miles/kilometers are on it?

Good work sorting that out; just curious to know if this is something I get to look forward to!