Ergos - convince me to keep the fz

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
After a 3 hour 2up ride today, I'm in need of convincing. The ergos of the stock fz6 are just too agressive for me + the wife + any distance. I'd really like to have +1" up & +1" back. I can put my feet on the crash bars, for some added comfy, but -need- that up and back to make the bike fit.

Also, I'm considering a vstrom (weestrom) as a replacement. I can have a blast on anything, but if the wifey comes along, I want us both to enjoy it.

What have you folks done ?

oh, and I'm 6'4" too.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
After going from a dl650 or as y'all call it "weestrom" to a fz I would say no way but thats me for your situation it might be better, I know its a lot more comfy especially riding 1^

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about keeping the FZ6 as my sport bike and buying a touring bike for those long trips with the wife (oldest young person with a touring bike)

ebk02

Reaction score
Visit site
I have always been perched on a cruiser of some type for most of my riding experience. Now I am on the FZ6..... What can I say? There is no comparison.
Anyway, at 61 and with neck damage, I have found the FZ6 to be reasonably comfortable - and have been able to go on 300+ mile day rides again. I will say that I put on the handle bar risers - the +1 up and +1 back, and with a throttle lock and having the seat gelled, I am good to go. This may be a help
other than that, keep the FZ6 and get a Shadow 1100, or some such used for the rides with your wife.
That is what I plan to do.....

Last edited:

DirtySouth

Reaction score
Visit site
After a 3 hour 2up ride today, I'm in need of convincing. The ergos of the stock fz6 are just too agressive for me + the wife + any distance. I'd really like to have +1" up & +1" back. I can put my feet on the crash bars, for some added comfy, but -need- that up and back to make the bike fit.

Also, I'm considering a vstrom (weestrom) as a replacement. I can have a blast on anything, but if the wifey comes along, I want us both to enjoy it.

What have you folks done ?

oh, and I'm 6'4" too.

I've had a DL650 and honestly, I found the SV650S that replaced it to be more comfortable on long trips than the DL. I know everyone is different but I prefer a firm seat and a forward lean when riding any distance at all. You didn't mention your weight and I won't ask about your wife, but you may find the DL650 to be too small for a two up ride. If you do go for a DL, I would suggest the 1000 as the only common complaint on the 650 is it is a little underpowered for two up riding. Another option you may want to look at is one of the older model Concours.

I just picked up the FZ and haven't logged many miles on it but I can tell you that IMHO, the FZ seems to be all around bike than the DL. The only thing that the DL has over the FZ would be the in town ease of riding with the twin over the inline 4. Some people may say that the DL has the 19" front wheel which gives you some options as far as offroad tires, but I would take the FZ anywhere that I took the DL.