ER-1 = Totally screwed?

sahkovika

Reaction score
Visit site
Help the stupid.

My FZ6n 2005 all of a sudden started to give error code ER-1 when idling. The heatmeter also blinked full - near full - full although the temperature was below mid-level of the meter. When riding, the error code stopped showing.

I got back from the trip and after few days the errorcode started to appear even while riding.

I washed the bike yesterday and now the whole lcd system has gone apesh**. It work occasionally, giving correct readings for some seconds at the time but most of the time it shows random speeds and revs and flashing the temperature to H even when the motor is surely not even warm.

When the meter is not giving funny numbers, it shows the ER-1 code.

I just rode the bike to a garage, abouty 35 km, and noticed that the odometer took mileage only when the meter was working correctly. About 5 km total.

I figured it's probably a bad connection to some cluster, bad wire or somtehing... Sure hope it's not the ECU itself that's failing. Honestly, I don't have a clue. Help me anyone... It's still summer here:(:banghead:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you know where to start. Check the connections and clean them up if they are dirty or dry them out if they are still wet. Then get some dielectric grease on the connectors. That would be my starting point.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!
Checking connectors including right at the battery is a good idea. Many times the ER-1 code comes up when there is low voltage and this seems to be present at your idle when RPM is low. Your idle RPM should be 1250-1300 RPM. If you are in stop and go traffic a lot and don't have a healthy charging system and battery it's easy to deplete your charge. Your instrument cluster may be a separate issue as far as the readout problem and is probably a loose plug or internal moisture that has made it's way into the cluster circuit board.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those posts nailed the on/off action - an option is to remove the cluster, wrap in a dry cloth and throw it in a bag of NEW uncooked rice. It will pull the moisture from the cluster. 24 hours or longer to really be successful I suspect.

FWIW: the ER-1 typically occurs when diagnostic checks by the ECM are incomplete (as in it couldn't finish all tasks). From this, its its last dying breath being displayed at the meter. More often than not, its the result of a dead battery, or for example, while cranking the starting the voltage drops so low, diagnostics is incomplete and ER-1 is displayed.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those posts nailed the on/off action - an option is to remove the cluster, wrap in a dry cloth and throw it in a bag of NEW uncooked rice. It will pull the moisture from the cluster. 24 hours or longer to really be successful I suspect.

I like to use Basmati rice. It will leave your parts with a nice aroma! :BLAA:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like to use Basmati rice. It will leave your parts with a nice aroma! :BLAA:

So you're saying the New and Improved "Cluster Rice" is not as tasty as Basmati rice??!! :confused: maybe cause you ate it with :spam: :D

sahkovika

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys know nothing... Jasmine rice will eventually give you the best aftertaste of breaking down your precious:D

Seriously. I'm glad to be here and thanks to you all. The whole forum has been chest of treasures even before i signed in.

I've had this one for three happy years now. No major mods but suits my personal measures and driving style pretty damn perfectly:
View attachment 49210
View attachment 49211

I already checked the obvious connectors (all right under the fuel tank, the one for ecu and the battery) and they seemed fine for the eye. Didn't clean them though.

From what I gathered from you I guess I'll just go through ALL of the connectors (the obvious again also), give them a once over with pressured air and some suitable lubricant and try firing the thing up again... With my luck that probably won't be enough though.

I need to get an electric meter (don't know the name in English...sorry) to check the sensors (I guess I'll find them with a little help with mister Haynes).

If cleaning the connectors doesn't help and I can't find a flawed sensor I'll track down the whole wiring to see if there's a flawed dielectric on a wire somewhere.

Does that make any sense? I've never done this electric stuff on any vehicle before so if there's a faster or surer way to fix or even pinpoint the problem, please let me know.