engine stops while riding

Assistant 04

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
The engine just stopped while i was riding...... Someting like if i was out of fuel...but i'm not. It would restart quite easily when i push the ignition switch. It's the forth times it happens in less than a week!!!! My first though was the kickstand switch but one of the time it happens i was on neutral position......

Can it be the fuel pump?????.

My bike has 60xxx km... can it be someting like the timing chain or the valve clearence (i don't thing that would be the cause of the problem but as i'm not a mechanic i'm just throwing ideas)

Thank for a quit reply!!!!

My bike : 2005 fz6

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
The engine just stopped while i was riding...... Someting like if i was out of fuel...but i'm not. It would restart quite easily when i push the ignition switch. It's the forth times it happens in less than a week!!!! My first though was the kickstand switch but one of the time it happens i was on neutral position......

Can it be the fuel pump?????.

My bike has 60xxx km... can it be someting like the timing chain or the valve clearence (i don't thing that would be the cause of the problem but as i'm not a mechanic i'm just throwing ideas)

Thank for a quit reply!!!!

My bike : 2005 fz6

It definately isn't the timing nor the valve clearance. That would make your bike sluggish etc.

It sounds like something electrical to me. Does it just suddenly stop? Like if you switch the kill switch or the key? Either it's the kick stand switch, the kill switch (the red one on your handlebar) or the fuel pump itself. It could be either of those.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there bud-day! :canada: Welcome to the forums.

I would suspect, if it is dying when you pull in the clutch or are in neutral, that perhaps you need to increase the idle speed.

I don't know about the '05 model (though I suspect it would be the same), but on the '07 if you are standing to the rider's left side (the port side), just under the tank there is an idle adjustment screw that you can access and adjust with a philips head screwdriver.

Your idle speed should be about 1200 RPM.

I'd try that to start with ... good luck and report back!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most likely the kill switch. Probably the single most failed component on the FZ6.
That's really saying a lot. If that's the bikes biggest downfall I'll take that any day! Contacts may be dirty.

Assistant 04

Reaction score
Visit site
it's not the idle spedd it,s about 1120 rpm
and it stop only once on the neutral position the 3 other times i was driving a 60 some km/h

Assistant 04

Reaction score
Visit site
It definately isn't the timing nor the valve clearance. That would make your bike sluggish etc.

It sounds like something electrical to me. Does it just suddenly stop? Like if you switch the kill switch or the key? Either it's the kick stand switch, the kill switch (the red one on your handlebar) or the fuel pump itself. It could be either of those.

Yes it sound like if i hit the kill switch it juste stop suddently. is there a way to check if there's problem with the kill switch or the kick stand witch ?????

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it sound like if i hit the kill switch it juste stop suddently. is there a way to check if there's problem with the kill switch or the kick stand witch ?????

If you jump the kill switch wires and it doesn't quit on you you've found it.

You might start the bike and gently wiggle the switch and see if it stops the motor.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site

Open it, check the connectors and spray it with WD40. In order to get to it, you have to open up the whole assembly, which isn't very difficult. Two bolts on the underside of the black cluster, and you're there. I don't think you have to remove the two throttle wires, but if you do, that's not too difficult either.

Same goes for the kick stand switch. Remove any debris and spray it with WD40 after you have inspected the connectors.

Assistant 04

Reaction score
Visit site
If you jump the kill switch wires and it doesn't quit on you you've found it.

You might start the bike and gently wiggle the switch and see if it stops the motor.

As english isn't my first language wha tdo you mean by " if you JUMP the kill switch....." The only thing that comes to my mind is to run and jump over the handle bar lol!!!!! But i'm sure that's not what it means lol

Assistant 04

Reaction score
Visit site
Trouble's over!!!! It was the kill switch wich was full on dirt !!! cleaned it and worked fine!!!!

Thank you all guys
Now i'm back on the road before the winter and snow kick in

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Always Good to see final post with results of what fixed the problem!

Thanks and Ride Safe!

PS - Get some contact lube in there as Dry and/or WD40 type solvents won't protect the switch from corrosion.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We have some damn good trouble shooters on this forum! So stick around, and you'll learn a lot more. Not just about your bike but riding in general.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As english isn't my first language wha tdo you mean by " if you JUMP the kill switch....." The only thing that comes to my mind is to run and jump over the handle bar lol!!!!! But i'm sure that's not what it means lol

I just saw this and now that you've got it sorted out. I mean take the switch off. throw it on the ground and jump on it! :rolleyes: LOL! Okay...not realy.

I meant you take a piece of wire and use it as a conduit between the two wires on the kill switch. This would eliminate the faulty switch contacts if that's what was the problem was. It's just a crude way to do a logic test when you don't have much available.

Hopes this helps and I'm glad you're up and running again!:D

mduhon

Reaction score
Visit site
I had this very same problem with the engine turning off while riding and I found it was the kill switch well except it wasn't dirt. The plastic inside the switch was broken and the contacts would move and slip apart from each other. I thought about jumping the switch like everyone said, however I didn't like that option as I wanted the use of the kill switch still. I found I could make a spacer for the left side of the red button to hold it to the left so the contacts stay together when its on. Super easy and has never failed me. :thumbup: hope this helps