Engine sound in neutral gear

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I've just bought my FZ6-N 2006 (used bike) with only 9.000km. Everything seems in order, I bought it from the person I trust but one thing worries me.

When bike is in neutral gear, the engine sound is not very steady. It oscillates a bit. Not much, but I can hear slight oscillations. When I add throttle, it works fine and there are no oscillations but when idle I can hear them.

Is there something I should worry about?

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I don't think so, no. But I'm not really sure - I still don't know much about my bike (still learning).

Can you please take a look at the photo?

exst.jpg

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
That is the stock exhaust. Is your engine warmed up when it does this? I don't know too much about this stuff, but could it be bad gas? Do you know if the bike was stored or unused for a while before you bought it?

Last week my bike had a similar problem, but after a long ride and two tanks of gas it was back to normal. Still not sure exactly what the cause was.

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!

The bike was stored for a few weeks before I bought it. Then the seller drove it to my place, about 500-600km. I think I noticed that after that ride the 1st time but I'm not 100% sure. Then it was stored for a day when I took it for a ride and that's when I noticed this for sure. The bike was cold, I have to mention that, but I think that also happens when it's warmed up. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I pay the taxes and get my bike back.

The gas could be bad but seeing that we bought it on one of the best gas stations around here, I don't think I can find a better alternative :)

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it!

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have the throttle sync checked. I bought my 2006 FZ6 about 2 months ago, and noticed that at idle, in neutral there was this slight chatter and osillation. After running some high octane gas with a good cleaner and having the blades synced all was well with the bike...Just my 2 cents...

Sean

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What RPM does the bike idle at? if it is too low then the ECU will try to boost it up and it can seem like oscillations.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can try some Seafoam or Chevron "Techtron". Both are fuel stabilizers and clean the entire fuel system. I use both on occasion as a preventative measure and my idle/performance is good. Its cheap enough and can only help. As stated above run some fresh gas thru it, you may have picked up some moisture in the tank...

Scott

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys,

thanks much for your response. I have some really good tips here, I'm going to try all of them. Tomorrow, when I pick up my bike I hope I'll come up with a solution.

Good thing is that none of you think this is a big problem ;)

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
@reiobard

I don't have the bike here, I'll have it tomorrow and I'll check that. I guess I can modify idle RPM if it's too low?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
@reiobard

I don't have the bike here, I'll have it tomorrow and I'll check that. I guess I can modify idle RPM if it's too low?

Yes, there is a idle adjuster screw that you can tun to increase or decrease the idle. it should be around 1200 RPM when idling when warmed up.

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok here's the thing.

I warmed up my bike and I adjusted idling speed, it was indeed lower than it should be. It was idling at just below 1000rpm. I have increased it to 1200rpm and I still have small oscillations.

The engine RPM varies between 3 values (according to digital RPM meter on the display). It works at 1200rpm and then it jumps to 1260 and 1320 quickly and returns to 1200rpm. It happens each second or so.

Is this too much or maybe it's normal behavior?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
"The engine RPM varies between 3 values (according to digital RPM meter on the display). It works at 1200rpm and then it jumps to 1260 and 1320 quickly and returns to 1200rpm. It happens each second or so."

That sounds like what my bike does. The digital tachometer cannot display a smaller 'step' than 60 RPM..... Your bike is idling at 1260, and is varying slightly above and below. Just enough to make the intrument 'decide' it has to display the next higher number. I personally would not be concerned.....

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Ratling happens if your not holding the clutch in. I've noticed the oscillations too (also get some surging at about 7-8k revs in certain gears)
Be interested to hear if you find a way to get rid of it.

One friend mentioned it may just be the low milleage on the bike, apparently the engines smooth out alot after 15-20k

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys for your replies.

I wouldn't be concerned if the bike was oscillating only on digital tachometer, the thing that worries me is the sound it's making. As I said - it's not much but I'll see if I can have it checked in Yamaha service or so just to be sure.

I'll let you know if I get rid of it.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds normal. I would not worry about it, as 100 rpm or so of fluctuations seems normal. Mine does this, as having a steady idle is pretty hard to achieve all the time. If it starts fluctuating by 300-400 rpm, then you may have something to worry about.

The '07 has analog gauge tach and it always move a bit at idle.