Engine shutting down mid-flight

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
How often do you use the kill switch? I only use it when I'm doing maintainance on the bike. And it's not required by law or anything. I don't think...

I use it EVERY time I turn off my bike, which is surely why it needs maintenance now. It's how I've been turning off motorcycles for 20 years... and I'm stubborn as hell... :D

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've only seen the whole assembly ($170-ish) for sale. Do you have a part number for the switch? (Or is it a semi-universal item.)

There's this really cool guy named skooter65 on the forum that has a bunch of parts for sale (including a 2007 kill switch/throttle assembly). I would recommend PM'ing him ;)

For real though, I am glad to hear that you have whittled this down to the kill switch. Problems like this can turn into huge headaches when you are trying to chase down gremlins.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
There's this really cool guy named skooter65 on the forum that has a bunch of parts for sale (including a 2007 kill switch/throttle assembly). I would recommend PM'ing him ;)

For real though, I am glad to hear that you have whittled this down to the kill switch. Problems like this can turn into huge headaches when you are trying to chase down gremlins.

Ok - New plan!!! Scott and I worked out a deal and I will be installing a new (used) assembly. Yes, I could probably fix my kill switch, but I'd still have the hosed starter button to contend with.

2 birds... 1 stone. Life is good.

Thanks Scott!

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot to post this last week...

FIXED!

Thanks again Skooter65. The new assembly did the trick!

I couldn't get the harness through the frame though. The connector was just too big (I ended up cutting the connector completely off the old one to get it out. I have it routed AROUND part of the frame for now. It's not visible and most importantly it doesn't seem to be in danger of binding or getting damaged.

Anyone know if I can use some sort of AMP pin remover type tool to remove the connector from the harness so that I can feed just the wires through?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot to post this last week...

FIXED!

Thanks again Skooter65. The new assembly did the trick!

I couldn't get the harness through the frame though. The connector was just too big (I ended up cutting the connector completely off the old one to get it out. I have it routed AROUND part of the frame for now. It's not visible and most importantly it doesn't seem to be in danger of binding or getting damaged.

Anyone know if I can use some sort of AMP pin remover type tool to remove the connector from the harness so that I can feed just the wires through?

You should be able to get by with a very small flat head screwdriver or safety pin to relase the ends. They can be brittle and easily bent if not carefull. Perhaps practice on the old plug assembly.

If I was you, I would remove whatever other cables/wires are in the same hole to give you more room. I know Yamaha didn't assemble that plug in the frame or feed the wires thru and then assemble the plug...

Congrates on the fix BTW!