engine "popping" from lean air/fuel mixture?

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
I am having a noticeable engine popping when i get off of the throttle and the engine starts to brake. It stops instantly when i get back on the throttle. I have been told it is due to me having an aftermarket exhaust (scorpion).

First, Is this true? Would the popping be caused from a low air/fuel mixture?

I have also been told this would be due to a chip to measure the air/fuel mixture (altitude changes and such) and change the mixture accordingly, but from what i remember reading that this chip did not get into the FZ6 line until the '07 remodel.

Lastly, what can i do to make the mixture richer. I know i can get a power commander III to take cure of it, but i would rather get new BT016's than the power commander (but i want to make sure i dont mess up my engine due to it running lean).

I hope someone can help me and thank you for reading and helping me out
Travis Walthall

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I put Scorpions on my 07 (the rest of the engine is stock) and it doesn't pop/ backfire. The cans didn't seem to make mine any leaner/richer. You may try and disconnect the battery for a bit and re-set the computer..... Maybe that'll help....

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
I put Scorpions on my 07 (the rest of the engine is stock) and it doesn't pop/ backfire. The cans didn't seem to make mine any leaner/richer. You may try and disconnect the battery for a bit and re-set the computer..... Maybe that'll help....

like i said earlier though: i think there was a chip put in the '07 and later models that auto adjusted the air/fuel mixture

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The chip is the same, between the pre and post '07 bikes.... the difference is the addition of an O2 sensor in the collector. Before '07 there was not one installed. The FI has to run 'open loop' as a result.

A lot of people have adjusted the C0 and C1 settings to enrichen the mixture as mapped in the OEM ECU.... you can probably accomplish what you need with that setting.

There are multiple threads on this process.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've also heard that if there is a leak in the exhaust, the exhaust system can introduce fresh air during de-accel, and can reignite the residual gases in the exhaust and cause pop.

You might want to re-inspect all the exhaust seals and make sure you're not introducing extra O2. Also as mentioned before reset the CPU.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have replaced the battery since then, wouldn't that reset the computer?

If you replaced the battery since the Scorps, yes , it would have re-set the computer... That wasn't the problem then.

Date 11-18-09. It wasn't posted earlier that the battery was replaced.

Last edited:

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
I've also heard that if there is a leak in the exhaust, the exhaust system can introduce fresh air during de-accel, and can reignite the residual gases in the exhaust and cause pop.

You might want to re-inspect all the exhaust seals and make sure you're not introducing extra O2. Also as mentioned before reset the CPU.
The Scorpion Cans leak and supposedly need about 1000 miles to seal the seams with carbon. This is what I did:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/26030-scorpion-can-leak-seam-fix.html?highlight=scorpion+cans

This will help considerably but you should also adjust you C1 and C2 settings to enrich your mixture.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a system on the bike called the "Air Injection system", it basically puts air into the exhaust ports during low/off throttle situations in order to ignite any unburnt fuel, for emissions purposes. It's harmless other than the annoying popping sound.

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
There's a system on the bike called the "Air Injection system", it basically puts air into the exhaust ports during low/off throttle situations in order to ignite any unburnt fuel, for emissions purposes. It's harmless other than the annoying popping sound.

so the popping is harmless?
I am just worried due to the fact that the bike only has 3000 miles and i want the engine to last a while.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
so the popping is harmless?
I am just worried due to the fact that the bike only has 3000 miles and i want the engine to last a while.

Yes its harmless. You cant really hear it with the stock exhaust, thats why everyone notices it when they install an aftermarket exhaust.

I removed it on my bike but only because I removed the cat and you really need both to work together. It did smooth out shifts a little bit. Maybe that's just me though.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Two Bro's and also am dyno'd with a PClll. It's very rare I ever hear de-cel pop. Maybe if I'm hooting it up a bit and am using more compression braking in turns going down a mountain.

There was a rider on a FZ1 with an after market GP pipe, that joined with a group of us FZ6 Forum riders a few weeks ago and when he was compression braking, he had god awful de-cel pop!

Keep in mind that if you opt for an aftermarket computer you might want to research and find a map from someone who has the same set-up. Getting tuned is not cheap and if you don't ride in those environments often, it's probably not economic for you. Yeah maybe a C1-C2 adjustment. I'm pretty sure there is a post on this but I'd rather know that my Air to Fuel ratios are happy instead of guessing. And here, I thought having a bike would be cheaper! LOL! It is fun!

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I have custom ends on my M4's which mean it isn't quite as open as they had initially been but it cut down the noise a bit. That being said I have extreme popping now, so I'll be hopefully getting the bike dyno'd soon and will let you know if that helps.
I have a PCIII I installed but obviously no one else has my exact exhaust so I can't get a already made map. I did play around with maps until I found one that seems most similar to what I'm running however.

Torquemata

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello guys,

I have a 2009 FZ6N and just recently installed the following (in the described order):

1) M2 Two Bros titanium cans
2) NGK iridium spark plugs
3) K&N air filter

There was a gap of a month or two before 1 and 2/3, and then the bike would run nice. I had the local dealer guys install the plugs and the K&N filter and that's when things started to go funny. The bike is popping at times, and it won't reach 220 km/h!! Mileage is very low, I took it on a 1200-km trip and recorded an average 13 km/liter, my friend's cbr1000 did better than that.

Another guy told me it might have something to do with plug calibration/gauging, i.e. finding the exact gap between plug electrodes, but I don't know. I suspect it has something to do with the fuel/air mixture.

There are rumours that a garage will launch in me town and they'll have a dyno, but until then I'd welcome all input I could get on getting my bike running smooth again, with the torque and power at a safe rate... including links to articles on setting the dash c1/c2 features right.

Thanks!

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello guys,

I have a 2009 FZ6N and just recently installed the following (in the described order):

1) M2 Two Bros titanium cans
2) NGK iridium spark plugs
3) K&N air filter

There was a gap of a month or two before 1 and 2/3, and then the bike would run nice. I had the local dealer guys install the plugs and the K&N filter and that's when things started to go funny. The bike is popping at times, and it won't reach 220 km/h!! Mileage is very low, I took it on a 1200-km trip and recorded an average 13 km/liter, my friend's cbr1000 did better than that.

Another guy told me it might have something to do with plug calibration/gauging, i.e. finding the exact gap between plug electrodes, but I don't know. I suspect it has something to do with the fuel/air mixture.

There are rumours that a garage will launch in me town and they'll have a dyno, but until then I'd welcome all input I could get on getting my bike running smooth again, with the torque and power at a safe rate... including links to articles on setting the dash c1/c2 features right.

Thanks!
Check this link, it should explain how to adjust the C1&C2 values.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...adjustment-leo-vince.html?highlight=Leo+vince