Engine noise, sounds like a sewing machine

alcs2000

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys

I am close to reaching 100k on my well cared for fz6 =D

However, I got a small problem, I feel like the engine is sounding weird, a bit like a rough sewing machine. The noise feels like it comes and goes. I have shown it to a mechanic twice, but both times, of course it wasn't very loud then, assured me it sounded fine. Needless to say, I feel like the 'clacking' noise is getting stronger and wanted to ask you guys for an opinion.

Here is a recording I made of the sound while driving:
FZ6 Engine sound

The recorder was attached next to the handlebar.

Cheers
Adrian

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to say injectors, mine makes a tapping noise from the injectors exactly like your recording. I had Yamaha UK look at it. They swapped out the cam chain tensioner. But it was still there.
My tapping only lasts from about 3500rpm - 4200rpm. Yours sounds constant, so I don't know what to say other than the obvious. Cam chain.

Nelly

Pondrat

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone checked the valve clearance on your bike? I know its part of the scheduled routine maintenance, but it sounds like most folks on the forum never check it because those that do find that it's never out of spec. But have you or anyone checked on your bike?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on checking cam clearances however a worn cam chain /tensioner will make all kinds of noises.

Pulling off just the right side ovalish cover will show the cam chain and give you a good idea. Look closely at the tensioner and see if its fully extended. The cam chain GERERALLY will rattle more when cold.

Good luck and congrates on the miles!!!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd think with a long screw driver or a cheapo stethoscope you could let it idle and probe about until you find the deepest most sincere noise.

Give it shot. With a long slender screw driver, stick the tip near the valve cover and listen with your ear to handle and move it down towards the chain. Tell what you hear!

alcs2000

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys!

I do not know if the valve check has ever been done, couldn't find anything saying it was.
When I started driving today it seemed to have disappeared, but only for about a minute and then it started again...

Do you guys know of any currently working picture guides for the valve check or cam chain replacement? I couldn't find one except for the service manual of course.

I take it I don't have to remove the oil to have a look at the cam chain, right?

The tapping noise seems to be the loudest at 4300k. I made another recording while driving. Went from recording on the left side, to the right side to the left side of the motor. It seems the hammering sound is much louder on the right hand side:

Engine while driving, left, right, left

I could not reproduce clicking sound to the same extent while standing still, with the clutch pulled and going to 4300rpm. However check out this recording standing still, it was made on top of the motor:

Engine while standing still

Cheers!

Edit: Atm the clicking started to appear really across all rpms, I have a strong feeling it is the cam chain in deed...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't have to remove oil for either check. You may need a new side cover gasket but probably not (just be gentle removing the cover). You will need some liquid Yamaha bond (honda brand, etc is fine too) where the wiring rubber grommit meets the block.

I listened to the first video and couldn't hear anything unusual.

The side cover has to come off to check the valve clearances as the engine needs to be at TDC. Of course the valve cover needs to come off. Checking the valve clearances is not hard, changing shims a bit more involved (recording the gaps, find the appropriate shim, pulling the cam/ cam chain, reset cam timing).

**A short cut I learned with my old KLR (super long cam chain, easily 4 times longer than the FZ), remove the cam chain tensioner (DO NOT TURN OVER THE ENGINE AT THIS TIME) paying close attention to how long it extends out to the rear chain guide. If its about fully extended, the chain or guide (or both) are worn out and slapping about making a racket.

Good luck and keep us posted.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
...I think it's time to change your bobbin!

Mine makes similar sounds at 16K. I did hear a little, "tick" - have you had your valves checked recently?

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd have to say as previously posted, get your valves checked/adjusted, not a bike expert obviously but I think thats probably step one in your search for a solution. Gratz on 100k btw!

alcs2000

Reaction score
Visit site
Two brothers might be the 100k treat for my bike. I got the tools and will have a brief look at the cam chain tomorrow, will let you know how it goes. The valves are going to be looked at next week once I have all the tools...

alcs2000

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I got a 2006 service manual, I take it that's the same as a factory manual? I also though I had a 2006 model, but I am actually not entirely sure as the owners manual I have was printed in 2005. I guess there is no noticeable physical difference between the two models except for seat-height so it probably doesn't matter.

Seems I have to wait until Sunday to look at the cam chain, will let you guys know...

Cheers

Last edited:

alcs2000

Reaction score
Visit site
Just took the side-cover of to have a quick look at the cam chain. It didn't seem loose or worn in an unusual way. I wanted to take out the cam chain tensionerer to check it but It seems I got to take the tank off to do so. Will try it afterwards. I ordered a few tools, the valces and a proper cam chain check will follow of course. I take it you guys can't see anything unusual from those photos either, right?

Here are the photos:

camchain1.JPG

camchain2.JPG

camchain3.JPG

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In your pic's, it appears if you look closely at one link, where the two links meet with a pin, they appear slightly offset, they appear to show wear (stretch), the surface where it meets the sprockets should be flat, all parts of the link making contact..

You should be able to remove the cam chain tensioner without removing the gas tank, its tight in there but doable... You also want to make sure it it goes in and out smoothly, if not try adding a little oil. If still (or sticky) replace it. With the miles you have on it you probably lost some spring tension and everything having some wear to speak of...

On page 5-12 of my 07 yamaha shop manual, its shows how to check the wear of the chain to the sprockets (about the same as your drive chain).

Also, with the engine at TDC, make sure your timing marks are dead on with the surface of the cylinder. If its not, its a good indication of a stretched chain/worn sprockets. You want to look at the guides as well for wear too.

Unfortunatly, Yamaha doesn't give wear limit (lenth per X # of links) for the chain.

Last edited:

alcs2000

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott

Just took the cam chain tensioner out. It's working very smoothly and looks perfectly fine. But wow, that was seriously but it back inside, felt like I needed another hand to keep the screw inside the tensioner in place.

As for the tensioner, it is certainly not at its limit. It has only 2.5 full turns to fully retract whilst being inside. I take it that's good right?

I think you might be right that it is slightly stretched, does yours look different? is it a perfectly flat surface? The offset where the links meet is roughly .2mm.

I am waiting for my tools to arrive so I can do a valve clearance check, most likely in a weeks time.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my cover off to replace it but didn't check the chain (4,000 miles at the time). My old KLR cam chain (stretched some doesn't have half the offset yours does).

With the tensioner off you'll probably be able to feel the wear pushing and pulling a link back and forth. The contact point with the sprockets should include the entire link, not just part of it... The tensioner sounds ok.

The chain isn't that expensive, $20.00 :

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts: Babbitt's Sport Center, Muskegon, MI)

at Babbits and IMHO, I'd change it just for the mileage on the bike. If it fails, you'll end up destroying your engine/valves... Several FJRs (on another forum) unfortunatly lost a cam chain (same set up) and bent a bunch of valves. If you have to remove the cam to adjust the valves, the cam chain will be off anyway (and the time to replace it).

Also, once the valve cover is off, the cam chain on and taught, the engine at TDC, check the marks on the cams. They should be dead even with the valve cover surface. If their slightly off set (the intake off some, the exhaust off more-below the surface) that's a sure indicator of cam chain stretch...

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I love seeing threads like this...a 600CC high revving engine making it to 100K with no major repairs to it is impressive.

Just curious: What kind of oil has been through it and how hard do you ride?

I'm not even at 15K on my 2006 model...I plan to get close to 25K by November though. :rockon: