Engine cover replacement

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
The previous owner unfortunately laid the bike down on his gravel driveway which has scratched the engine cover

IMG_0761.jpg

When I bought the bike he gave me a brand new cover to replace it. Is it just a matter of getting an allen key, removing the old one and putting the new one in place or do I need to drain oil/get a gasket or something?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
You shouldn't need to drain the oil, just keep the bike on its sidestand.

You will need a new metal gasket, and also to clean the surfaces before you remount it.
You might be able to get away with just RTV or permatex on the old gasket, but why risk it?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your ignition pick up sender is bolted under and to that cover and should be locktited on. I strongly suggest you find a hand held impact driver (it comes with screwdriver bits) and have it ready.

When I changed out my same cover, without that tool, the two screws definitly would have stripped. You'll need some locktite and preferably Yamahabond sealer for where the ignition wires exit the block (rubber grommit).

For a short cut, as noted above, keep it on the side stand. Get the cover un-bolted and place in on a short, very sturdy stool adjacent to the bike. That'll save you from unplugging the harness from the pickup. Unscrew, with the impact tool the pick up and re-attach with locktite to the new cover, then re-assemble.

Again, as noted above, just put a new gasket on, its cheap enough to do it right the first time...

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine's got some minor scratches, and I've researched doing this some. The other posters who say to replace the gasket are 100% correct, IMO. I've read that the oil doesn't need draining if you do it when the bike is on its sidestand, but I planned on doing it when I changed the oil, just so I can have a gander at the innards. But I haven't bought the cover, and I'm not sure I'll do it. My scratches are pretty minor.

lucas_lik

Reaction score
Visit site
You can either get it sprayed...once u spray it,nobody will figure it out....and keep the extra cover standby from cracking it....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can purchase the Gasket from Ron Ayers or Bike Bandit, or get it from the dealership.

I think this is what you need, I bought one not too long ago when I replaced my Crankshaft Postion Sensor. Someone mentioned RTV, probably want to get high temp RTV versus standard.

Gasket, Cover 5SL-15456-01-00 Bike Bandit P/N 1649905

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely replace the gasket. I pulled mine to do the valve clearance check and I put it back on with Yamabond. It has a very small seep at the bottom. I'm actually in the process of ordering the gasket.