Engine breaking rattle... and more

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To TownsendsFJR1300- So just slight dents in the plastic part of the sprocket are still ok? I mean I had to look really close to notice them. You seem toi be a helpful guy :) so may I ask you for another favor? I just tried to reproduce the clunk sound during my ride and at 1,2,3 gear at lower than 3000 rpm sudden closing and reopening the throttle causes the sound. Would you be so kind and try the same at yours, pls? :)
New, the front sprocket doesn't have the indentations. As it wears it developes them.

I can tell you right now it does NOT clunk when you get on or off the throttle at ANY RPM's in any gear. Its rare I take it over 8,000 RPM's, most of my shifting (short of horse play is at about 4K, lower when cold). My engine (not the exhaust) is very quiet, no ticking, etc un-like some other members. Why, dunno.

Re down shifting, I don't normally "clutch/downshift/release clutch" and see the RPM's rise. IMO, its just extra wear and tear on the clutch plates. As I slow, I am down shifting, with the clutch in, as the speed slows.

For starting (especially cold), I'll squeeze and release the clutch several times to get some oil inbetween the plates. Then, if you hold in the clutch for a couple of seconds, it makes shifting into first NOT quite as clunky.

With that said, I keep my idle set at 1,000 RPM's (under the recommended 1,300). Three reasons, I prefer the sound of the engine lower, I have a very slight vib thru my right mirror at 1,300RPM, and shifting into first is definitily not as hard on the box as the gear shafts aren't turning as fast. I don't sit and idle long and have never had a charging issue, that's with the BD43 dual headlight mod too...

The first Generation of FJRs 03-05 had the same characteristics as the FZ, shifting, clunking into first, etc. They did some mods to help that, but still for the most part, its still there. Alot of the shifting issues, clunking, (for the FJR, even to date), Yamaha was NOT soaking the clutch plates prior to assembly and they tended to stick together causing un-necessary clutch sticking and very rough shifts. (same set up as the FZ). The fix was simply, remove the plates, remove the unknown black crap from the plates, and then soak them in oil for a couple of hours. Re-assemble and its a different bike altogether..

Re Randy's post on the clutch basket. I have personally seen on my ex girlfriends 650 Suzuki Savage and a friends Sportster, (both belt drive, both an aluminum "sprocket", both held down tightly with a steel nut-like the FZ clutch basket). I noticed the Savage making an odd noise when moving around the garage slowly. Pulled the side cover, looked fine. Peened the locking washer over and sure enough, the "sprocket" was loose. What happened, between the pressure from the belt pulling on the aluminum, up against the steel nut, the aluminum eventually compressed, thus the torque on the nut lowered and the "sprocket" began wobbling. Tightened her back down, fine after that. I also noticed (years ago), the same noise on my friends Sportster. He said it was fine, didn't want to check it. Went to the Dragon on vacation, (SR129 in Tennessee), guess who looses a transmission in the middle of it. The sportster. Go back to the cabin, get the truck, come back and get him and his bike, 5 hours later were back in the cabin. After we got home, start tearing apart, guess what. Same issue as the Suzuki except of course it was never tightened. It stripped ALL the splines off the "sprocket". Output shaft was fine.

Point being, don't just look at it from afar, check the tightness, any wear and tear where it would secure is critical.

Last edited:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Point being, don't just look at it from afar, check the tightness, any wear and tear where it would secure is critical.

Couldnt have been said any better. About a month after I bought my '86 fz600 I thought i lost the transmission. Sounded like there was chunks of gear rolling around in there. Turns out the chain and sprockets were shot and i had ONE tight link in the chain. The bike would actually slow down like something was binding when that tight link would roll across the front sprocket. The chain and sprockets Looked fine. but thats all it took to make some h*llish noise!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Couldnt have been said any better. About a month after I bought my '86 fz600 I thought i lost the transmission. Sounded like there was chunks of gear rolling around in there. Turns out the chain and sprockets were shot and i had ONE tight link in the chain. The bike would actually slow down like something was binding when that tight link would roll across the front sprocket. The chain and sprockets Looked fine. but thats all it took to make some h*llish noise!

A worn/sticky chain will not only make hellish noise (including clicking) but can often be felt thru the pegs/bars, etc..

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
So I managed to record the sounds.
1. Rolling approx 15 km/h, 2nd gear, clutch lever pressed to the handle bar and playing with throttle. The noisy rattle is not the bike, it is just my phone lying on the dashboard area and recording some vibrations. The clunk is noticeable, especially when the engin is slowing down. http://youtu.be/XEbHJ2vF0Ww
2. Engine warm and off, 1st gear on and rolling the bike from limit to limit. http://youtu.be/As5uholVm44
Any ideas?

Last edited:

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
You mean the links dont work? For me they do. After u enter just scroll down and at the bottom u have a green Download button.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, when I do that it wants to download something to my hard drive (which I'm not doing).

Can you post it to a "you tube" video/audio file, I'd have no problem listening to that. There's no downloads, changes to the hard drive, etc... :thumbup:

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, someones cautious :)
Can you advise some website other than youtube? They dont want to accept mp3 file with no picture...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, someones cautious :)
Can you advise some website other than youtube? They dont want to accept mp3 file with no picture...

Yepper, I am cautious. Its not that I don't trust you, I don't trust a site I'm not familar with. Its too easy to get hacked...

I don't know of any other sites for uploading audio / video's. I know many members have posted "You Tube" videos for issues like yours. I've never uploaded a video to You Tube and don't know what format they would need.

That or someone else, maybe Randy, [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] or [MENTION=7496]Erci[/MENTION] will download and listen to it

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I managed to record the sounds.
1. Rolling approx 15 km/h, 2nd gear, clutch lever pressed to the handle bar and playing with throttle. The noisy rattle is not the bike, it is just my phone lying on the dashboard area and recording some vibrations. The clunk is noticeable, especially when the engin is slowing down. 1 - YouTube
2. Engine warm and off, 1st gear on and rolling the bike from limit to limit. 2 - YouTube
Any ideas?

Yep, the sound when converted over is useless... Perhaps someone can chime in how best to record for You Tube?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How big are the mp3 files? I can host them for you if they're not huge.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, the sound when converted over is useless... Perhaps someone can chime in how best to record for You Tube?

You do know that looking at a picture, palying a utube vid, or his sound clip, its all being downloaded to your PC. ALL of it! :eek:

SoundCloud plays.... here is an FZ being abused! :spank:
https://soundcloud.com/fz6-rippedmp3/fz62broxp1tipsrip << Click orange play button, top left!
192kbs Stereo!

Listen for the happy Spots! Blah

Last edited:

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Today Ill try to record a better quality and put to the soundcloud.
You do know that looking at a picture, palying a utube vid, or his sound clip, its all being downloaded to your PC. ALL of it!
TRUE :)
How big are the mp3 files? I can host them for you if they're not huge.

Really tiny, below 200 kb, but today i am gonna make a better ones and try soundcloud. THX.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so here we go :)
Sec 9- 1st on.
Sec 14- 2nd on and u can hear the clunk when advanced and closed throttle
Sec 19- u can clearly hear the rattle when engin breake
sec 45= 15 km/h, 2nd gear, clutch lever pressed to the handle bar and playing with the throttle
1 min 6 sec, again throttle and clutch

Enjoy https://soundcloud.com/pawe-rzedzicki-1/sounds-fz6

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
That's very weird!

Have you checked to make sure the engine mounting bolts are torqued to spec?

The only thing i ever had that was close to that was on a car that had busted engine mounts. When revving the engine or engine braking it would clunk like that.

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, I saw somewhere in internet that people had issues with engine mounting bolts/nuts become loose and causing strange clunk. I "eyballed" them but without tools. If noone here comes up with mechanical ideas for those sounds I'll go to any mechanic and ask to check the engine mounting.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so here we go :)
Sec 9- 1st on.
Sec 14- 2nd on and u can hear the clunk when advanced and closed throttle
Sec 19- u can clearly hear the rattle when engin breake
sec 45= 15 km/h, 2nd gear, clutch lever pressed to the handle bar and playing with the throttle
1 min 6 sec, again throttle and clutch

Enjoy https://soundcloud.com/pawe-rzedzicki-1/sounds-fz6

My SV1000 has a loud clutch basket which is inherent to the model. When/if I rebuild the clutch there is a fix for the noisy part.
Your recording sounds very similar except for the clunk. Your issue sound like it is clutch related. I can hear the difference when you pull the clutch in and then engage. I hear the clunk as you roll on and off the throttle. As the oil and components warm up to operating temps it would make sense now because the clutch components would change their friction rate (especially if damaged) and the noise would become more or less evident. Better this than an internal transmission problem.