Engine braking and aftermarket exhaust

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello fellow riders

One of my ridding buddies has a fz6 fazer s2 model with two bros pipes no db killers, I rode it the other day and didn't like it much, going down hill I felt a noticeable lack of engine braking, much more engine braking on my stock fz6 s2 naked.

So I am wondering if switching to an aftermarket exhaust makes the bike loose engine braking.

So your comments on the topic will be appreciated :D

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't think it should be that noticeable but that is just another side effect from lack of back pressure

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe my feminine side showed up that day and made me so sensitive :D

Talking seriously I never thought it was going to to be that noticeable.

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I prefer the cheaper braking system (the one mounted to the wheels) but there's a lil difference between the stock setup and aftermarket impo.

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe you were playing with that other bike a bit more? As to listen to the aftermarket exhausts? :D
You could've been going (a bit) faster with that bike versus your own, which could lead to the impression of lesser engine braking, as you will be travelling faster than otherwise.
But, as said before: less back pressure = (little?) less engine braking :)

Grtz,

Degake

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my fz with Scorpion slip on already installed, but my wife also has one and I don't notice a distinct difference between them when it comes to engine braking. The only noticeable difference is mine sounds better! :cheer:

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe you were playing with that other bike a bit more? As to listen to the aftermarket exhausts? :D
You could've been going (a bit) faster with that bike versus your own, which could lead to the impression of lesser engine braking, as you will be travelling faster than otherwise.
But, as said before: less back pressure = (little?) less engine braking :)

Grtz,

Degake

You could be right my friend, your comment makes a lot of sense since that sound is definitely addictive.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
My fz6 is naked, two brothers w/ no db killers and I didn't notice a difference from the stock exhaust after the switch. Just my .02

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same perception that the 2bros.-equipped bike I ride for a few miles had reduced engine braking compared to my bike. But it's hard to be sure with the noise from that exhaust. Also, I think I was trying a 5W40 synthetic oil in my bike at the time, which I would guess increases engine braking at least slightly. Oil might have something to do with it. Maybe tire pressure, too?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i don't think it'd makemuch difference

tbh i was worried this would be another thread asking why it's making that "dreadful" popping sound when decelerating* :D

*going downhill past Gooseneck and into Mansfield at Cadwell Park is my favourite place for this

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it does make some difference it's just a matter of how much, essentially jake brakes/compression brakes/ exhaust brakes or what ever you want to call them on large diesels work very similar to the way regular engine braking works, you put a less restrictive exhaust on and you will loose some of the decel that a more restrictive exhaust would provide.

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello fellow riders

One of my ridding buddies has a fz6 fazer s2 model with two bros pipes no db killers, I rode it the other day and didn't like it much, going down hill I felt a noticeable lack of engine braking, much more engine braking on my stock fz6 s2 naked.

So I am wondering if switching to an aftermarket exhaust makes the bike loose engine braking.

So your comments on the topic will be appreciated :D

No db's? You're the man Spock.
I'm still trying to remove them without waking the kids. When it comes to bleeding eardrums vs. sleepless kids, I'm afraid the sleep beats broken ear drums.
When I put the 2bros on I did spin it around the block without he db's killers in.
Amazing. I cried a little.

Last edited:

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same perception that the 2bros.-equipped bike I ride for a few miles had reduced engine braking compared to my bike. But it's hard to be sure with the noise from that exhaust. Also, I think I was trying a 5W40 synthetic oil in my bike at the time, which I would guess increases engine braking at least slightly. Oil might have something to do with it. Maybe tire pressure, too?

Ha, The difference is that the raven black is just plain faster than the red. Heh heh heh. J.K.. Riding over to Calistoga saturday, if you left now we could do the loop again. Anytime buddy, anytime at all.It would be in the name of Science!:rockon:

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe that the lack of engine braking is caused due to increased idle setting.

It is common, that after an aftermarket exhaust (with db-killers removed) the bike tends to idle very rough.. Therefore most mechanics (or amateurs) increase the idle setting to a pretty high level (it's the little screw on the left side of the bike under the tank).

Increased idle results in lack of deceleration from the engine...

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ All in the name of science!!!

Actually, my '06 feels a little looser, rougher and sloppier throttle-response-wise, so mine feels a little faster. Or at least, harder to control. ;)

I'm starting late, so I'm gonba to try to average 88 mph on the way there. Should get me to SR by Saturday am. Hope my sidecases don't cost me too much in wind resistance. :p

^ The idle adjustment makes sense. I keep meaning to raise mine to see if it helps with the fuel cut-off. Thanks for the reminder.