Electrical problems.

Federico

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my fz6 about two months ago. It had been sitting on a show room floor for about a year, but it fired right up and rode just fine. I left the key turned on once and had to push start it, but other than that it has always started fine except for today.

I last rode the bike Sunday morning for about 60 miles. Thus morning I was cleaning the garage and rolled the bike out into the street. When it was time to put it away it primed the fuel pump but would not turn over. I made sure the kill switch was set to run and the bike was in neutral and the side stand was up and pulled the seat and side pods and checked all of the fuses and flicked relays and jiggled connectors. No luck. Turning the key on subsequent times it wouldn't even prime the pump.

I let the bike sit for a few hours. I have a 12v socket installed and I checked voltage through it with a digital multimeter. It read 12.2v with the key off, and dropped to less than 1v with the key on. The fuel pump still wouldn't prime. I removed and reinstalled the fuses again and the fuel pump primed. I push started the bike and it idled a little rough and intermittently blinked the Orange engine light.

I put on my helmet and rode around the block and it started displaying the Orange engine light steadily. I pulled back into my garage and the engine light turned off. I checked voltage through the socket again and it was 13.3v at idle. Revving the engine dropped the voltage to 9v and at higher revs to 6v. The Orange engine light came back on.

I killed the engine. With the key off I was getting 12.2v. Key on was less than 1v and it wouldn't prime the fuel pump. Pressing the start button wouldn't turn the starter, instead it made a loud click from the area of the gauge cluster and the display went blank.

Do I need a battery? A regulator rectifier? A stator? Do I need to investigate further?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You need to investigate further but I can tell you from what you've said, it sounds like there has been a charging system failure. First and foremost check your connections at the battery. Then there are some simple tests to tell what's going on. Best to pull the battery charge it a have it load tested. Then you can test the other components to find which has failed.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Federico

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got an opportunity to check out the stator and regulator rectifier. They both seem to check out and their respective connectors are in good condition. (.2 ohm on all three legs of the stator and no ground continuity; three zeroes, three ~600's, a 547 and two ~600's, and three zeroes on the r/r diode check)

I suppose I will get a battery and a battery tender? Maybe charge the old battery and have it tested to verify?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got an opportunity to check out the stator and regulator rectifier. They both seem to check out and their respective connectors are in good condition. (.2 ohm on all three legs of the stator and no ground continuity; three zeroes, three ~600's, a 547 and two ~600's, and three zeroes on the r/r diode check)

I suppose I will get a battery and a battery tender? Maybe charge the old battery and have it tested to verify?

When a battery opens up internally (yours showing 12V and dropping to 1.0V), really messes with the charging system. That said, Follow your path and have that battery charged (at least 5 hrs, if it even takes a charge) and tested! But I suspect your battery has an internal open and is in need of replacement.

If its more than 4 years old, I'd cut your losses and replace it. Start from there. PS - Yes, I've had 3 batteries "open" either from physical shock (impact (1 of them)), the other two would indicate 12.5V but would not power a tiny dome lamp as the voltage would drop to 2V. Both had started the car that day to drive it and had NO signs of failure.

The impact damage was a failed log jump on a jet ski. Slammed the hull into the log and battery took a solid hit likely its plates were sulfated so it was compromised.

Federico

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I haven't pulled it out to check for any manufacture or warranty date, but like I said the bike is new to me and I don't know its history. Batteries don't last long in the desert. It has been great other than this!

Any recommendations on a battery? I see $30 batteries and $100 batteries. Both seem cheap compared to replacing the stator and regulator rectifier.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I haven't pulled it out to check for any manufacture or warranty date, but like I said the bike is new to me and I don't know its history. Batteries don't last long in the desert. It has been great other than this!

Any recommendations on a battery? I see $30 batteries and $100 batteries. Both seem cheap compared to replacing the stator and regulator rectifier.

Mines on its last legs, I picked up an OEM Yuasa that came with the bike. (haven't filled or installed it yet). You get what you pay for...

And make sure its on an automatic battery charger (Battery tender is fine, 1.25 amp) BEFORE putting into service (as the new battery comes 80% charged. You'll get a longer life out of it in the end..

Federico

Reaction score
Visit site
I got stuck going out of town twice for work this week, but I managed to get a battery today. I installed battery tender leads and charged the battery before starting the bike and voltages looked good. It roared to life and after warming it up I took it for a short ride in the neighborhood. Tomorrow I plan to take it out for a few hours.

Thanks for all the help!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright! Good to know what a poor battery's ailments might be. I still have my original OEM battery (2007). I keep it on a battery tender during non-ride winter months.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I suspect a year ++++ of sitting on the showroom floor sulfated the plates on that one. Like others, it took a charge and worked for a while but then heat and vibrations kill it.

Sitting doing nothing is about the worst for LAB's... Your better off to drain them with a headlamp and recharge them. Its like throwing down fresh paint. Same old house and walls, just freshly cleaned and all the molecules organized. :thumbup:

Running an 08 battery still (2014-08 now). Bikes sits for 3 ~ 4 mo every year while the weather craps out. I suspect this will be its last round unless I take my own advice and drain it to shuffle its chemistry.

Federico

Reaction score
Visit site
All right! Just got back! It was "exciting!"

I hit the freeway and all was well. I went about 20 miles and my FI light came on. Bummer. I turned around and hauled ass toward home. However, a few miles in the bike started missing. I hit my signal to move over and found it was missing when the turn signal lit. A light bulb went off in my head and I shut off the high beams and it stopped missing and I tried to get off the freeway. I missed an exit and realized it was the last exit before an interchange and it would be about 2 miles before the next exit. Oops!

Right on time as I approached the convergence point and was going to have 4 lanes on each side of me it died completely. I clutched in and coasted into the point. I was able to back behind the guard rail and walked a few feet back to more protected ground.

I scratched my head a little. About a dozen harley riders rolled by in formation on the right. The leader waved. Some others pointed and laughed and flipped me off. I waved back and thought about the steps I took replacing the battery and all I had messed with. Sure enough I had unplugged the r/r and not plugged it back in. I corrected my mistake but the bike wouldn't turn over or push start.

I took out my phone and began climbing the phone tree at my insurance company to get an emergency roadside assistance truck out to help. Having a digital insurance card saved on your phone is great for showing mvd and the cops, but when you're on the phone and you need to enter the number, not so much.

Just then a guy on a CBR600RR came screaming by on the left and he stopped to offer a hand. I told him the story and it occurred to me that perhaps after having rested for a few minutes the battery could have rallied enough juice to prime the fuel pump and I could push start it. I turned the key and couldn't hear if the pump primed or not but I was able to push start the bike. The FI light was off, there was no code 46, it ran beautifully. I revved a few times, held the throttle at about 3k for a minute, and let the bike idle while I geared back up.

Between myself and the gentleman on the RR we decided I would hit the road, if encountered any problems I'd hit an exit ASAP, if all was well I'd continue, and he would stay behind me until his exit a few miles before mine. All went well and I made it home. The battery is on the tender and I'm having a cold drink.

So yeah, exciting!

I think my next test trip will be a loop closer to home.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I hit the freeway and all was well. I went about 20 miles and my FI light came on. Bummer. I turned around and hauled ass toward home. However, a few miles in the bike started missing. I hit my signal to move over and found it was missing when the turn signal lit. A light bulb went off in my head and I shut off the high beams and it stopped missing and I tried to get off the freeway. I missed an exit and realized it was the last exit before an interchange and it would be about 2 miles before the next exit. Oops!

Right on time as I approached the convergence point and was going to have 4 lanes on each side of me it died completely. I clutched in and coasted into the point. I was able to back behind the guard rail and walked a few feet back to more protected ground.

I scratched my head a little. About a dozen harley riders rolled by in formation on the right. The leader waved. Some others pointed and laughed and flipped me off. I waved back and thought about the steps I took replacing the battery and all I had messed with. Sure enough I had unplugged the r/r and not plugged it back in. I corrected my mistake but the bike wouldn't turn over or push start.

Just then a guy on a CBR600RR came screaming by on the left and he stopped to offer a hand. I told him the story and it occurred to me that perhaps after having rested for a few minutes the battery could have rallied enough juice to prime the fuel pump and I could push start it. I turned the key and couldn't hear if the pump primed or not but I was able to push start the bike. The FI light was off, there was no code 46, it ran beautifully. I revved a few times, held the throttle at about 3k for a minute, and let the bike idle while I geared back up.

Between myself and the gentleman on the RR we decided I would hit the road, if encountered any problems I'd hit an exit ASAP, if all was well I'd continue, and he would stay behind me until his exit a few miles before mine. All went well and I made it home. The battery is on the tender and I'm having a cold drink.

So yeah, exciting!

Excellent! Kudo's to the Suzuki rider. Smart move on your part moving to a protected area BTW..

Screw the HD riders, especially the one's flipping you off, A$$ hats!

Too bad you couldn't catch up and blast past them, oh well. They'll be broke down way before you are again...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I took out my phone and began climbing the phone tree at my insurance company to get an emergency roadside assistance truck out to help. Having a digital insurance card saved on your phone is great for showing mvd and the cops, but when you're on the phone and you need to enter the number, not so much.

So yeah, exciting!

DanG!!!!
Way to break in that new battery! :thumbup: Glad your OK and were able to get moving w/out a tow/ride! keep us posted during the days ahead!

HD / what dorks!!! I think the general population is pretty decent overall...

Federico

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent! Kudo's to the Suzuki rider. Smart move on your part moving to a protected area BTW..

Screw the HD riders, especially the one's flipping you off, A$$ hats!

Too bad you couldn't catch up and blast past them, oh well. They'll be broke down way before you are again...

Break down? They're just as likely to trade the Wind in Their Hair(tm) for the Asphalt in their Skulls riding without gear. Oh well, I ain't mad at 'em! They're not all dicks and I could see myself getting a Sportster some day.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had two Harleys, the first, a 1979 AMF Sportster. Never pushed a bike home before that POS. I can't count how many times I pushed that thing(mostly elecrrical issues). Heck, it broke down on the way to the shop to get traded for a Honda VT1100 in 1986 or so..

The second wasn't bad, an 01 wide glide, just couldn't take the vibrations. If you look real close(double click), you can see TWO sets of foot pegs, forward (stock pegs/controls), and middle mounted pegs...

No, I agree, not all are, but flipping off another bike, when their friggin broke, P.ss on em...

Last edited:

Federico

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I took the bike for a longer ride. I put in 130 miles of highway riding to Bagdad, AZ and laid down 65 miles of twisties on a gorgeous high desert road with barely a car in sight on the way to Prescott. FWIW I saw a broken down Harley rider and offered help, but he needed more zip ties and I had none to offer. His old lady was pretty cool, but he had a lot of misdirected anger and frustration. From Prescott I hit I-17 back to Mesa, AZ and closed my garage door right as a dust storm rolled in.

It was a good ride. 337 miles in a little over 5 hours including lunch, three stops to stretch my legs and get drinks and fuel, and checking on the Harley rider. Everything went as it should and aside from a sore ass I have no complaints. The bike is cured.