Dumptrucks & Bouncing pebbles

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
Last week I was driving home from work in my Explorer Sport Trac Cage and had to merge and get behind a dump truck. Before I could even slow down and get some serious space between the two of us, a big pebble falls off the back of the truck, takes a good hop off the slab, and pelts my windshield, leaving a nice spiderweb.

This got me thinking about the dangers to motorcyclists on the highways. Anyone ever run into any trouble with bouncing rocks on your fizzers before?

P.S. I got the truck's number and called his company, they are buying me a new windshield. :rockon:

Has'nt happened to me.... yet! I'm sure the more I ride I will eventually run into a similar situation.
Glad they are replacing your windscreen :thumbup:

Happened to me a few years ago. I got stuck behind a dumptruck that was loosing rather large rocks. A few bounced up and cracked my headlight, broke my Memphis Shade windscreen and chipped my visor on my helmet. This was on my 1981 Honda CX500. I tried to get the guy to pull over, but I got the rather nice :Flip: instead. I memorized the name of the company and called in a complaint when I got home. I got the typical stay 200 feet from the back of the truck. When I told them that I was, and that the truck was so full that rather large rocks were spilling over the sides. They still claimed that they were not responsible. I told them BS, and that someone could have been severly hurt from the flying debris, then they would have had a real big mess on their hands. The company still claimed indifference. I contacted a lawyer, but costs were prohibitive of going any further.

Haven't been hit by anything that hurts too bad yet.

On my bicycle, which I spend about 15 hours/week riding, I've been hit be just about everything.

I had a rock bounce up from a dump truck hit the right fairing and fly side ways hitting the car beside me. It left a nice 1'' long scratch on the bike.

Having the taller CalSci shield and handguards helps deflect those stones. Of course having all the proper gear makes a big difference as well. One time with the full boots and full gauntlet gloves kept those nasty stones from hurting me, I felt it bounce off. Whew, thank goodness for good gear.

Back