Dumptrucks & Bouncing pebbles

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
Last week I was driving home from work in my Explorer Sport Trac Cage and had to merge and get behind a dump truck. Before I could even slow down and get some serious space between the two of us, a big pebble falls off the back of the truck, takes a good hop off the slab, and pelts my windshield, leaving a nice spiderweb.

This got me thinking about the dangers to motorcyclists on the highways. Anyone ever run into any trouble with bouncing rocks on your fizzers before?

P.S. I got the truck's number and called his company, they are buying me a new windshield. :rockon:

RedRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Has'nt happened to me.... yet! I'm sure the more I ride I will eventually run into a similar situation.
Glad they are replacing your windscreen :thumbup:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Happened to me a few years ago. I got stuck behind a dumptruck that was loosing rather large rocks. A few bounced up and cracked my headlight, broke my Memphis Shade windscreen and chipped my visor on my helmet. This was on my 1981 Honda CX500. I tried to get the guy to pull over, but I got the rather nice :Flip: instead. I memorized the name of the company and called in a complaint when I got home. I got the typical stay 200 feet from the back of the truck. When I told them that I was, and that the truck was so full that rather large rocks were spilling over the sides. They still claimed that they were not responsible. I told them BS, and that someone could have been severly hurt from the flying debris, then they would have had a real big mess on their hands. The company still claimed indifference. I contacted a lawyer, but costs were prohibitive of going any further.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't been hit by anything that hurts too bad yet.

On my bicycle, which I spend about 15 hours/week riding, I've been hit be just about everything.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a rock bounce up from a dump truck hit the right fairing and fly side ways hitting the car beside me. It left a nice 1'' long scratch on the bike.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Having the taller CalSci shield and handguards helps deflect those stones. Of course having all the proper gear makes a big difference as well. One time with the full boots and full gauntlet gloves kept those nasty stones from hurting me, I felt it bounce off. Whew, thank goodness for good gear.