Dual lights

yamaha should have made the single light for daytime running while making the dual for night time through a sensor that detects darkness.

has anyone changed out to HID? does this have any affect? im debating whether to do it for my high beam or low or both.

Hellgate, :rolleyes: Of all the mods youv'e done to that bike I can't believe this hadn't been covered already, I just had to point out the obvious, sorry just some friendly needling:Flash:

Well like I said, I don't like doing electrical stuff. When I do it looks cheese and I'm not happy with it, so I end up not doing it...

If you were foolish enough to drive around London with your main beam on you would promptly be arrested for dangerous driving! Riding with your main beam on is just mad - I cant believe anybody would be so amazingly selfish to even think about it!!! What about on-coming cars - what about the cars you approach from behind?????? Some people are out to give bikes a bad name.

You may have to expand upon that. Does "main beam" = brights? If so... whoa..

I used to ride during daylight hours with just my lowbeams at all times. Last year I started using my brights during the day and difference is amazing. Cars never pull out / turn left in front of me any more. It's outstanding the difference it makes in my visibility (being seen, not seeing that is.)

If a citizen or cop had a problem with my brights during daylight hours I would have a SERIOUS problem with them in turn. I am not compromising my personal safety for a perceived infraction such as that.

One last question. What does having the brights on have to do somebody approaching from behind?

Thanks. I hope this doesn't come off as a flame, I'm just trying to understand your comments.

Thanks!

I used to ride during daylight hours with just my lowbeams at all times. Last year I started using my brights during the day and difference is amazing. Cars never pull out / turn left in front of me any more. It's outstanding the difference it makes in my visibility (being seen, not seeing that is.)

If a citizen or cop had a problem with my brights during daylight hours I would have a SERIOUS problem with them in turn. I am not compromising my personal safety for a perceived infraction such as that.

One last question. What does having the brights on have to do somebody approaching from behind?

Thanks. I hope this doesn't come off as a flame, I'm just trying to understand your comments.

Thanks!

Boy do I agree, with the highbeams on I am cut off much less. I never liked the fact that the headlight on the right side of the FZ wasn't lit with low beams. With the highbeams on, and I'm passing on their left, there are now much fewer people drifting into my lane.

I'd rather piss a few people off than get run over.

Thanks!

Its plain dangerous and blinding - using full beam as you're approaching cars from behind is plain dangerous - driving towards cars with your full beam on is plain dangerous (when you're in your car are you one of those car drivers who doesn't dip your beams for on-coming traffic??) - whatever - I'm out of this conversation - its too dumb to be believed. New topic please.

I used to ride during daylight hours with just my lowbeams at all times. Last year I started using my brights during the day and difference is amazing. Cars never pull out / turn left in front of me any more.

-----Sure - I bet they dont - BECAUSE THEY ARE BEING BLINDED BY YOU!!!! I see - how to be safe - blind everybody else into slowing down. I really am having trouble believing you guys on this - Do you seriously think it is safer overall for bikes to be riding around with their main beams on??????

Wow.

Maybe its just a numbers thing - here in London there are thousands of bikers on the roads every day - if we all had our main beams on it would create CHAOS. But to me - even one bike riding around with their main beams on is blinding other road users - sure it might be safer for you in the short term - but thats a very selfish way of thinking in my book. Anyhow. i was going to cut out of this before I get really wound up. So much for that idea.

Its plain dangerous and blinding - using full beam as you're approaching cars from behind is plain dangerous - driving towards cars with your full beam on is plain dangerous (when you're in your car are you one of those car drivers who doesn't dip your beams for on-coming traffic??) - whatever - I'm out of this conversation - its too dumb to be believed. New topic please.

Oh BS! I'm sorry if I sound cranky but the MC lights are so damn dim, and with only one on you are not going to blind anyone in the day time, night time that is a whole different story.

As far as dumb, if you want dumb go find an oil thread, we have plenty and SBN has even more.

I'm going to bite my tongue right now as I'm about to become unglued.

I used to ride during daylight hours with just my lowbeams at all times. Last year I started using my brights during the day and difference is amazing. Cars never pull out / turn left in front of me any more.

-----Sure - I bet they dont - BECAUSE THEY ARE BEING BLINDED BY YOU!!!! I see - how to be safe - blind everybody else into slowing down. I really am having trouble believing you guys on this - Do you seriously think it is safer overall for bikes to be riding around with their main beams on??????

Wow.

Maybe its just a numbers thing - here in London there are thousands of bikers on the roads every day - if we all had our main beams on it would create CHAOS. But to me - even one bike riding around with their main beams on is blinding other road users - sure it might be safer for you in the short term - but thats a very selfish way of thinking in my book. Anyhow. i was going to cut out of this before I get really wound up. So much for that idea.

I respectfully disagree (with great vigor.) I've seen plenty of motorcycles and a few cars on the road with their high beams on during daylight hours and it is not a bit blinding. It's not even slightly distracting.

As always, I'll be my own "devil's advocate":
With all that said, I feel I must post a link to an article that I just read which runs counter to my believes on the subject. While the safety of other road users isn't cited, the writer does insist that the biker's safety is compromised when using high beams.

Daytime Highbeam Usage: Not the Brightest Idea.

So, after considering all sides to the argument, I will continue to us my high beams during daylight hours because my personal experience prooves that I am safer and I am not creating an unsafe environment for other road users.

Knowing what I know and reading what I've read leaves me unwilling to reccomend my method for other riders. It suits me and I am entirely comfortable with it.

Sounds like you must have some sort of terrible eye condition. During the day it does not make any difference to me if a motorcycle is approaching me with highbeams on. Motorcycles are much harder to see in the day, safety first!!!

Wow.

Sounds like you must have some sort of terrible eye condition. During the day it does not make any difference to me if a motorcycle is approaching me with highbeams on. Motorcycles are much harder to see in the day, safety first!!!

Daytime Highbeam Usage: Not the Brightest Idea.

So, after considering all sides to the argument, I will continue to us my high beams during daylight hours because my personal experience prooves that I am safer and I am not creating an unsafe environment for other road users.

Knowing what I know and reading what I've read leaves me unwilling to reccomend my method for other riders. It suits me and I am entirely comfortable with it.[/QUOTE]

------Do as you will. But if you're ever in the UK I suggest you dont drive or ride with your full beams on because over here its against the law and you will be stopped and given a ticket (as I assume it is in the US come to think of it - maybe try getting up behind a traffic cop and put your full beam on and see what he/she thinks about your argument that 'it suits me and I am entirely comfortable with it).

Sounds to me like you're using high beam to cover up for your lack of awareness and riding skills. Maybe you should consider taking an advanced riding class to sort things out.....

:)

So if somebody is approaching you from behind with their full beams on you're saying this would not dazzle you if you look in your rear view mirror? WHat about as they overtake you? ie as they approach closer and closer to overtake on a single carriage road.

Maybe you guys are so used to using freeways and dont ride on single carriage roads...... but in the world I live in if you had your full beams on as you did that you would dazzle the driver as you overtook him. Which is why its illegal to not dip your lights to on-coming traffic. Because its just plain dangerous in situations like that....

ANd what about at night? Are you telling me you dont dip your beams at night either?

Have I landed on some parralell planet where logic and common sense dont apply?????????????????

------Do as you will. But if you're ever in the UK I suggest you dont drive or ride with your full beams on because over here its against the law and you will be stopped and given a ticket (as I assume it is in the US come to think of it - maybe try getting up behind a traffic cop and put your full beam on and see what he/she thinks about your argument that 'it suits me and I am entirely comfortable with it).

Sounds to me like you're using high beam to cover up for your lack of awareness and riding skills. Maybe you should consider taking an advanced riding class to sort things out.....

I have logged approximately 8000miles/13000km since I started using my high beams last year. In that time I have passed and followed countless traffic cops. And that includes a large number of motorcycle patrolmen who (say it isn't so!) had their high beams on during the day and they certainly didn't switch them off as we passed and waved to each other.

I will thank you in advance for not making assumptions about the riding experience and skills of me or any other person on this forum. I respect your opinion and I imagine it comes from your own personal experience set. I would appreciate if you would extend me/us the same courtesy.

So if somebody is approaching you from behind with their full beams on you're saying this would not dazzle you if you look in your rear view mirror? WHat about as they overtake you? ie as they approach closer and closer to overtake on a single carriage road.

Maybe you guys are so used to using freeways and dont ride on single carriage roads...... but in the world I live in if you had your full beams on as you did that you would dazzle the driver as you overtook him. Which is why its illegal to not dip your lights to on-coming traffic. Because its just plain dangerous in situations like that....

ANd what about at night? Are you telling me you dont dip your beams at night either?

Have I landed on some parralell planet where logic and common sense dont apply?????????????????

Not once in all my years of driving/riding on many different types of roads has another motorist's high beams bothered me during daylight hours.

Again, that's a big leap to assume that "we" (Americans, I guess??) are all slaves to the freeway. Would you believe that over the past year I have put about 20 freeway miles (32km) on my bikes in 8000miles (13000km) of riding.

Even with my dangerous lack of logic and common sense I still have the wherewithal to switch off the high beams at night when encountering other motorists. Thanks for checking.

(An apology to anybody who is here to read about the dual headlight mod....
:hijack: )

I have logged approximately 8000miles/13000km since I started using my high beams last year. In that time I have passed and followed countless traffic cops. And that includes a large number of motorcycle patrolmen who (say it isn't so!) had their high beams on during the day and they certainly didn't switch them off as we passed and waved to each other.

I will thank you in advance for not making assumptions about the riding experience and skills of me or any other person on this forum. I respect your opinion and I imagine it comes from your own personal experience set. I would appreciate if you would extend me/us the same courtesy.

Like I said - do that here and you will get a ticket. No wonder the US is going down the drain. Roll on chinese rule huh?

Even with my dangerous lack of logic and common sense I still have the wherewithal to switch off the high beams at night when encountering other motorists. Thanks for checking.

Well thats a start - one of the 'just keep them on all the time' mob even suggested they kept their full beam on at night too. Whatever!

Have a nice day.

Back