Dual Compound - Worthless for my riding style???

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
If you were closer to me I'd offer to help you install them. It takes me about 1 hour to remove the wheels and install and balance both tires on my FZ6 using simple motorcycle tire changing tools.

See and a friend of mine has a tire machine up to 22 inch rims, but I was very skittish setting my FZ's rims on the machine. Not to mention, I know Jack about bike tire balancing, other than I have heard of using balancing sand in the tire, I've only seen it done on Heavy Trucks and kinda scoffed at its dependability on a bike tire.
I will, however, be looking very closely into seeing about any adapter plates or what have you for his machine, I'll gladly pitch in if it means less money in the long run.

Oh and that price is wrong, now that I am looking at it, it should only be about 160-170 a tire installed. Still high, but I am kinda in a bind at the moment and do not feel comfortable riding on such a bald tire when that tire is an integral part of me keeping the bike upright!
As stated, I'm only gonna worry with the rear tire at the moment, it is the worst.

I do agree that PR3's are the way to go though! I have Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's on my FZ6 now and they have about 5,000 miles on them and look like another 2K is doable!

Awesome!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
See and a friend of mine has a tire machine up to 22 inch rims, but I was very skittish setting my FZ's rims on the machine. Not to mention, I know Jack about bike tire balancing, other than I have heard of using balancing sand in the tire, I've only seen it done on Heavy Trucks and kinda scoffed at its dependability on a bike tire.
I will, however, be looking very closely into seeing about any adapter plates or what have you for his machine, I'll gladly pitch in if it means less money in the long run.

Oh and that price is wrong, now that I am looking at it, it should only be about 160-170 a tire installed. Still high, but I am kinda in a bind at the moment and do not feel comfortable riding on such a bald tire when that tire is an integral part of me keeping the bike upright!
As stated, I'm only gonna worry with the rear tire at the moment, it is the worst.

Awesome!

Superbikes and Ski in Fort Myers (about 1.5 hours from you) with the wheels off, charges about $12-15 each wheel to mount and balance while you wait. They have a MC wheel specific machine and have NEVER SCRATCHED a wheel I've brought in. "Scott" is the only one I allow to touch my wheels/balance. Its a private shop that has grown a bunch due to their prices, fairness, etc. Located on Fowler St. Steve, the owner, usually keeps PRIIIs in stock (thats why/where I got my rear PRIII)

http://www.superbikesandski.com/

One tire deal: http://www.superbikesandski.com/specials.htm Ft and rear Conti's, $236 installed.

Static balancing is pretty easy, just takes a little patience and some sticky weights

Last edited:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
Just for your info Deep Emissions.

today's tyres won t leave you longing for grip. they are all manufactured to very high standards, be it supersport or sportouring tyres. i think all renowned brands offer decent tyres for the bikes of today. even the skinny metzelers me 22 that i use on my daily commuter offer superb grip for the money. they grip well in the rain.

supersport tyres tend to have softer rubber that will contort and adapt itself better to the road surface, thus offering better grip, to the expense of wear. they also have less groves to dissipate water so are not the best for rain but they can handle it.

touring tyres tend to have a slightly harder compound that will not contort as much as the softer compound, thus offering slightly less grip but longer mileage.

the difference in grip would be noticed when you ride knee down, where the supersports would have a slight edge. in normal riding conditions, and even at severe lean angles, i don't think you will notice any differnce in grip between supersport and touring tyres.

you did great in getting a PR3.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
the difference in grip would be noticed when you ride knee down, where the supersports would have a slight edge. in normal riding conditions, and even at severe lean angles, i don't think you will notice any differnce in grip between supersport and touring tyres.

you did great in getting a PR3.

A lot of good info there, however I couldn't disagree with you more. You don't have to be knee down in order to feel the difference between a sport touring tire (PR2, PR3, BT023, etc) and hypersport (PP2CT, PP, PP3, BT016Pro, S-20). In my experience the hypersport tires will have much better feedback throughout the entire lean angle, the traction during a lean will be more confidence inspiring due to feedback. My experience on hypersports is that the ability to control the lean in is a lot easier and smoother than the harder sport touring tire.

The one complaint I've heard from more than one rider is that the sport touring tires although great for a lot of applications do not provide that last little bit of grip and feedback at the farthest lean angles and have given up traction on people resulting in offs. I personally found that when on a sport touring tire (PR2's) I had to use more body position and keep the bike more upright and had to carry less speed into the corners compared to the hypersport (Pilot Power 3's)

By the level of flat spot on the OP's tires I don't think any of this will be an issue for him. However, be careful if you decide to go out there for some sportier runs while on sport touring tires.

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the insight.
I would definitely have to say though that hard lean angles are not a concern for me at this time. Maybe a trackday could happen on these PR3's but I really feel that I'm not yet confident enough nor have I yet aquired the proper track gear to feel safe.
Thanks guys!

Sent from my GalaxyTab7 using Tapatalk 2