Drunko

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding home from work last night. Nearing my hometown of Ramona a guy on a Harley passes me. As we go to stop for a red light I put my feet down, and he does not. He fell of his bike and dramatically rolled into oncoming traffic. I pulled over to give him a hand, helping him move his bike to the side of the rd. He smelled highly intoxicated. We chatted for a bit and he called for his wife and buddy to come collect him and his bike. Dummy

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding home from work last night. Nearing my hometown of Ramona a guy on a Harley passes me. As we go to stop for a red light I put my feet down, and he does not. He fell of his bike and dramatically rolled into oncoming traffic. I pulled over to give him a hand, helping him move his bike to the side of the rd. He smelled highly intoxicated. We chatted for a bit and he called for his wife and buddy to come collect him and his bike. Dummy

LOL was probably heading home from the local Harley bar.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious, many see it as worse, but is it any different than drinking and caging?

Well drinking and caging, you are endangering others and yourself. On a motorcycle you lose if you crash.

I don't drink and drive but I do drink socially and I can tell you this, I could probably drive safely if I had to (even if I chose to be responsible and not drive) after 6 beers but there is no way I could control the bike correctly in that state.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I chuckle to myself when I pass bars with motorcycles lined up out front. I am amazed on how many bikers ride intoxicated.

Just curious, many see it as worse, but is it any different than drinking and caging?

Completely different. Balance, reaction time, defensive driving...the only thing easier on a bike than a car is shifting.....man I wish my car shifted like my bike.

You try that here in Oregon and get caught you can be cited with a DUII/DWI

Same here, no bicycles and booze.....but then again its Utah :BLAA:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe because in a cage you don't have to put your feet down when you stop! :rof:

Funny you mention this; this AM on the way to work at 530, saw a guy (likely sober) riding in. Like me he choose to go as slow as possible w/out stopping, w/out putting his feet down while we wait for the signal to change.

However - he had it wobbling so bad it was dragging parts and throwing sparks! He continued see-sawing out w/out putting his feet down and was turned at an 80 degree angle from direction of travel :eek: so when he took off there was massive course correction required to straighten it out and go true.
He looked drunk as could be (OR really skilled) and may have been. It was a sight for certain...

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed! I've tried it a few times on a bicycle and it was tough!

Oh the BUI days of college.

One I remember is riding a rusty schwinn road bike back from a party - I got home covered in scrapes and blood, so at some point(s) on the 1/2 mile ride I must have eaten it. total squid move, flip flops, tee shirt, shorts, no helmet. Probably doing wheelies and endos and running from the cops too.

Segue:
If I drink and ride (which I have done and will continue to do in the following circumstnces) it's a beer or two with dinner, short distances, full gear and with my full concentration (no passengers either). I like to ride places, and lots of the places I like to go serve tasty beer. I enjoy beer in moderation, and personally balance the risk and reward by not having that extra beer and being even more careful on the way home.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Segue:
If I drink and ride (which I have done and will continue to do in the following circumstnces) it's a beer or two with dinner, short distances, full gear and with my full concentration (no passengers either). I like to ride places, and lots of the places I like to go serve tasty beer. I enjoy beer in moderation, and personally balance the risk and reward by not having that extra beer and being even more careful on the way home.

I'd agree with that. I'll have one, maybe two slow pints on a nice day. There are wineries & breweries around here, and out near the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's nice scenery for ride out for a beer & burger (or what have you), then back out for another short ride. Although, I'd say the same for a decent coffee somewhere....I did just that last weekend. :thumbup: