Dropped my bike today

sov

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of us have been there - glad you didn't twist an ankle or something.

Picking-up a bike using your butt and legs really works, though at my size I can't see lifting a Gold Wing. At 165lbs I was able to get my Vulcan 900 (620lbs) up using the turn-your-back-to-it technique. I dropped it at a stop sign - I got it stopped at least - as I was frantically trying to remove a hornet from my helmet. Unfortunately the hornet stung the **** out of my upper lip before I could get the FF helmet off.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about your drop. I didn't think the FZ6 would be that hard of a bike to pick up. I picked up my FZ1 by myself after dropping her in a similar situation. I think a S**t load of adrenalin was involver there though. LOL!!!

But yeah..... u should have gotten blonde's number.

" excuse me miss can I have your number.... you know, in case I drop my bike again?"

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of us have been there - glad you didn't twist an ankle or something.

Picking-up a bike using your butt and legs really works, though at my size I can't see lifting a Gold Wing. At 165lbs I was able to get my Vulcan 900 (620lbs) up using the turn-your-back-to-it technique. I dropped it at a stop sign - I got it stopped at least - as I was frantically trying to remove a hornet from my helmet. Unfortunately the hornet stung the **** out of my upper lip before I could get the FF helmet off.

Unfortunatly, I was at the top of the crest of the roadway when my Goldwing tipped over, leaning into the lower side of the roadway.

The wings built in crash gaurds kept it from tipping all the way over (scratching mirrors, and other damage short of a scuff on the chrome crash bar).
This was on a back road out in the middle of nowhere Tennessee and my buds disappeared, no one else around (kept the embarasment to a minimum too). Lifted it, from the left side as described... Its considerably heavier than a full dress Harley...

Last edited:

akwiseguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Put the bike in first gear (if not already) and make sure its turned off (obviously)....

Thank you Townsends for the great information :thumbup:! I don't remember going over this in the MSF course. I think it is information all new riders should have.

Sorry about the drop,
Glad your ok, that's the main thing......

I then saw this and thought maybe tcmalker is right and we should grow some?

Thanks Nelly. That woman picked up that Harley like it was nothing.

OUCH. All can be said.

Dropped my fazer 3 times now, ALL under 5km/h, although just fitted the replacement parts and bike looks good as new. I am getting frame sliders ASAP though.

Nobody should buy a bike without them.

I agree, I am going to order a set today.

Brando5185

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey man sorry to hear you dropped the FZ. But I noticed your in wasilla. We should ride together sometime. Haven't met anyone else with a FZ up here.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never dropped mine, but I haven't had any issues picking up other sport bikes I've seen down.

The back up to it approach described a few times above I think is the best way, but always be sure to lift with the legs and not your back.

Sorry to hear about your drop.

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
This is my 2nd bike and 2nd summer riding. I upgraded from a Buell Blast and love the HUGE difference of the FZ6.

:rof::rof::rof:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/37815-how-much-better-buell.html

As for the drop, I always found it easy to pick up. Sure is easier than picking up my '81 silverwing. With the fazer I put one hand under the frame and the other I grap the foot peg. FYI, I also found the bike is easy to push up ramps by grabing the foor pegs and the other on the handle bar center section.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up my crashed FZ6 on the downhill side with one arm , adrenalin is an amazing thing!

+1 I completely agree, had a 1000 lb 4-wheeler on it's side with my left leg under it, pushed it off me with my right leg so hard it ended up rolling onto its other side lol... was a pain in the arse to pick it up after the adrenaline was gone though!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Was checking the oil level in my bike and forgot I had the kick stand up and when I leaned it back over it didn't stop. Good thing was I had parked it next to my car so it kept the bike from going down, I just have some small dents in the car :-(.

Now I put it on the center stand to check the oil level.

I did drop my Ninja 250 one time and left my foot under it to soften the blow. I picked it up as described above and road on the work. Ninja only had a scratch but my foot was broken - since it was the right foot and hurt to mash on the gas pedal I had to ride the bike until it healed!!!!

MagicMANX

Reaction score
Visit site
Was checking the oil level in my bike and forgot I had the kick stand up and when I leaned it back over it didn't stop. Good thing was I had parked it next to my car so it kept the bike from going down, I just have some small dents in the car :-(.

Now I put it on the center stand to check the oil level.

I did drop my Ninja 250 one time and left my foot under it to soften the blow. I picked it up as described above and road on the work. Ninja only had a scratch but my foot was broken - since it was the right foot and hurt to mash on the gas pedal I had to ride the bike until it healed!!!!

That is a hell of an excuse to ride to work!!

I'll try that... Oh wait... I don't have a car!!!

1slowz

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear you dropped it! I noticed your in AK as well... I purchased my 09 and it was dropped prior. It looked like it was only from someone tipping it in the garage or at a stop, but them mirrors are spendy just FYI. I ordered one from Yamaha and I am still waiting after 2 weeks. So I have my mirrors pulled currently.

Just be careful out there.