Dropped it....0 mph!!

jts6yf

Reaction score
Visit site
I also had one of these moments. I was out for a ride with some friends and it started pouring at the beginning. We went back to a buddy's house to dry our clothes and warm up. So when i pulled into his driveway, I was exhausted from fighting the rain and wind and when i went to get off my bike, I forgot I hadnt put the kickstand down so she just kept leaning. At this point I knew I didnt have enough energy left to stop it, so I just lowered it to the ground and walked off. lol poor fz6...

F

fazergal

Dropped after a year of getting her. Coming home from a Saturday afternoon ride out - a slight camber down to the right - managed to stall the bike and before I could get my foot down I hit the floor like a ton of bricks. I took most of the damage to my right foot and over the next few days you could see all the colours of the rainbow. :(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My first drop occured a few days after receiving my first bike 2008 Fz6 with only 6000 miles. Whe was perfect and looked like always garage kept, not a scratch on her. I have to park my bike on the side of the house and decided to try out the center stand, because the guy at the shop was nice enough to show me how it worked earlier in the day. I get the bike up on the stand nice an easy, great that was easy.

so when I go to leave I'm still standing on the left side of the bike just as he showed me at the shop hand on the clutch and other hand on the rear grab rail. I rock it forward and it starts to roll forward, where I promptly realize I don't have brake control. I reach for the front brake but it's already tipping into a concrete wall. I gently lower her into the wall and only the right side mirror and windshield took any damage. I didn't care about the windshield as I'd already ordered my MRA screen, and the scuff on the mirror was hardly noticeable.

Lesson learned, sit on the dam bike to get it off the centerstand.

Quick tip I learned...

When coming off the center stand OR just pushing about, MAKE SURE THE SIDE STAND IS DOWN.

Stand on the RIGHT SIDE of the bike. Right hand on the front brake/grip), (two fingers over the lever are plenty), left hand either on the left grip or right passenger grip rail.

Push the bike off the centerstand controlling speed with the ft brake. When pushing around the garage, etc, again stand on the throttle side, same procedure.

**Should the bike try to fall to the left, the kick stand will catch it, no drop....Just make sure the kick stand is FULLY extended.

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I'm short 5'6" and i took the bike off the center stand in my garage. I was on the left side, and it flopped to the right immediately!! Broke the right side mirror. Lucky for me, another forum member was selling that part for cheap! Next time, I'll be on the bike from the center stand! I've had other low/no speed drops, but that one seems the worst! Next mod is a shaved seat from Spencer in FLA.

I'm a hair under 5'6" and use the center stand all the time. The trick is when putting it on the stand try to be on level ground and when pulling it off the stand, put the side stand down and turn the wheel slightly left. Push forward a bit and just pull your left arm in as it slides off the center stand and the side stand should catch it without any issues if you miss it (this is best done from the left hand side of the bike so you can pull towards yourself and use your body weight to bring to bike down on the side stand).

So far I haven't dropped my FZ6, but my old 250 took a spill twice. Once when I was around at all. I was playing with the mirrors mid-winter and guess I moved it forward a bit with the stand down. I did some test fitting and went inside. I came out to see my bike on it's side and about 2" from my dad's Harley Electraglide... Needless to say I didn't care about my bike, I just prayed to god his bike wasn't damaged at all. My Craftsman toolbox saved my bike luckily and I only suffered a small crack in the front fairing.

The second incident occurred a few months later. It was slightly wet and raining. I went to pull the bike out and got off to close the gate. When I got back on and pulled the kick stand up I went to put my left foot back down so I could adjust my helmet... bad idea. There were wet leaves there and I lost traction and slowly but surely down she went. I was able to save it for the most part and didn't suffer any damage... no one saw me and this is the first I've spoken of it.

AdventAvalon

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, totally dropped mine as well. I wasn't used to the weight, since my previous bike had been a little 250. Good news is there wasn't hardly any damage cept for a few scrapes. And no one was around either that time....or the second time. lol

paperpirate

Reaction score
Visit site
the fz6 has been over twice, once someone reversed into it whilst i was mid haircut and style change. had to go sort it looking a little special with long hair one side and very short on the other!
second time was my fault riding in poor conditions and lost the front, just wiped out on me going about 5 mph. the taxi driver stopped at the lights had a good laugh before helping pick the bike up, just cosmetic damageg both times :rolleyes:

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't dropped my FZ6 (knock on wood) but the VStar 650 I had prior to did go down once. I had just left the house and was at a stop sign early in the morning, preparing to turn left. However, being a carbureted bike, she was a cold-blooded beast and promptly died on me. I tried to recover, but down we went. Fortunately neither one of us sustained any real damage as it was a slow drop and there were no witnesses. :D

Better than the Harley I was behind one time at a drive thru burger joint in Cle Elum. He had gotten off his bike to chat with the girl at the window and rather than get back on the bike to move it, tried to push it from the side. Needless to say, over they went. But it got better (or worse, depending on your point of view) when he got up, walk over to the other side and after lifting it to the upright position, tried AGAIN to push it rather than ride it. Yup, over they went the other way! He then got on the bike and rode it to the side. :shakehead:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If this was a trick to get us to tell our most embarrassing stories...consider it a success.

I have little to no pride left after all the stupid crap I've done while learning on my bike. I have killed it by being in second before -- what I learned is that if the throttle isn't doing much when accelerating from a stop, it probably means I managed to be in second again, so give it more throttle until it accelerates like it should!

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Have yet to drop the FZ6 but I have dropped the CB750 in the grass and I managed to drop the VTX1300 at a stoplight... two different times. Was so embarrased that I muscled the thing back up with only the handlebars. Not the preferred technique but it does make people around you look at you like you're crazy.

Sixpackgal28

Reaction score
Visit site
Been there and done that in my own driveway... in front of all my neighbours and their kids....they called it the "epic collapse" !
But then got my bike lowered and all has been smooth ! Welcome - you are amoongst friends ! :rockon:

arnign

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a new to me 2004 FZ6 (yay!). Got it insured, got it inspected, etc went out for a ride with some friends, got it home in the garage, turned the engine off, thought I got the kick stand down and tipped right over (myself included!). Snapped the left foot peg off so can't even ride her for the time being :(

So I'll take a membership as well I guess :p

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I almost did that but since I had parked my car in a good spot it just leaned up against the car! Still have the dents in the car and it was a pretty new car at the time!!!

Now I always check to make sure the kick stand is down.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a new to me 2004 FZ6 (yay!). Got it insured, got it inspected, etc went out for a ride with some friends, got it home in the garage, turned the engine off, thought I got the kick stand down and tipped right over (myself included!). Snapped the left foot peg off so can't even ride her for the time being :(

So I'll take a membership as well I guess :p

:welcome: from Texas:cheer:

I bet you'll never do that again. It's good when you have a small mistake in the beginning, so you learn to do the small things correct the rest of your time with the bike.:thumbup:

Ride safe, and gear up.:rockon:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Two stopped drops on my Ninja 250 (none moving and none on my FZ)
1) Fell over on my friend trying to put it on the center stand (no damage)

2) I was turning in a tightish street and almost made the full turn then panicked as I neared the curb, yanked the front brake lever and dropped it. (snapped more than half of the clutch lever off, made a pretty uncomfortable ride)

Puncher

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I've done the 0mph drop too :cool:. Doesn't help being 5' 7" 130lbs..
Anyway the dumbest thing I think I've ever done with the bike was when I was going around with my grease gun looking for grease fittings to lube. It turns out brake bleeders are identical to grease fittings and without thinking I tried to grease the brake bleeders :steve: and was confused why no grease was going in. I didn't realize until later what I had been trying to do :jawdrop: