Drive chain chatter?

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
If the revs are a little too low when giving it throttle in second gear (almost lugging) I hear what sounds like a chatter or rattle likely from the chain? I'm not in the habit of riding with revs too low like that but noticed it when test riding in the underground parking garage where the bike is kept and my helmet was off and could hear this. Definitely an external sound. Ring any bells? It's quiet at all other times when engine is in comfortable revs for the speed.

PPieter

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the same issue for some time now. Have been cleaning, lubing and adjusting the chain but it doesn't same to go away. Chain and sprockets are not worn out. The fellow riders I talked to told me this isn't an issue, but please don't take this as any 'advice' since I don't know if it's correct. I have been looking for a decent answer to this question for a long time, thanks for the asking.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the revs are a little too low when giving it throttle in second gear (almost lugging) I hear what sounds like a chatter or rattle likely from the chain? I'm not in the habit of riding with revs too low like that but noticed it when test riding in the underground parking garage where the bike is kept and my helmet was off and could hear this. Definitely an external sound. Ring any bells? It's quiet at all other times when engine is in comfortable revs for the speed.
Do you get the same kind of chatter if you spin the rear wheel on the centre stand in neutral?

Neil

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
I do get a bit of chain chatter when I spin the wheel, but much quieter and sounds nearer to the front sprocket area or slider.