Dragging pegs/feet - false neutral and accidental shifts?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I went for a pretty nice, spirited ride today, hit the local mountains and twisties and leaned pretty hard.

My foot and the pegs were dragging all day, and a few times it pushed my foot up into the shift lever, and I would go into a false neutral, and one time it even upshifted! This was a very nerve racking experience when you're leaned over going through a corner.

After that I had to rotate my foot outwards everytime I leaned it over, which was kind of uncomfortable

Has anyone else experienced this?

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you keeping the balls of your feet on the pegs? Or are your heels on there?

If you keep your feet a little farther back on the pegs it may remedy the problem. Try shifting more toward the balls of your feet on there if they aren't already.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The "middle" of my foot is on the peg itself. This puts the front of my foot, right behind my toes, right underneath the shift lever.
This position is great because it's quick access to the shift lever, but when leaned over, especially on crested roads, the road pushes my foot into the shift lever.

It helped to move my toes out sideways, but it was uncomfortable.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, it's kind of scary

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
To answer your question, no, this is not unique to you and your FZ6.

You shouldn't need to be shifting mid-corner so like the others said, move your feet back. If you're still having problems, you should also move your heal in and up which will point your inside leg/knee toward the apex allowing your upper body to follow and opening your shoulders to the apex.

Take it easy out there....

What road were you on?

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
The only time I've touched peg was when I was fatigued and tried to be lazy and not hang off the bike as much as I normally do. Peg feelers promptly removed.

+1 on moving your feet back so the balls of your feet are on the pegs. It might require more careful setup before corner entry, and it will take a while to be comfortable being out of immediate reach of the shifter/rear brake, but generally I find it's worth it for the clearance mid-corner.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
What road were you on?

Happened a couple times on Dry Creek Road, Oakville Grade, Monticello Road, and Wooden Valley Road, here in Napa county and part of Solano county

Great roads, a lot of elevation change and tight corners.
I've been leaning a lot more lately and hanging off the bike as well, so I never really had this problem before.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah man, if you're dragging your toes you're body position is wrong. The balls of your feet should be on the pegs, not flat footed. Your heels should be against the heel guard on the rearset. This gives you the most control over your body position and the most leverage on the bike. When you hang off your toes should be pointed slightly towards the apex(inside corner) of the turn. Your body weight should be about 80%outside peg 20%inside peg. Doing this will kind of help lodge your knee in the curve of the gas tank to support most of your weight. Your upper body should be tight to the bike and to the inside. You should not be using the handlebars at all for support. You use your legs to get back on the bike and help stand the bike up. Try really hard not to use your upper body to pull yourself back onto the bike. It will feel a little odd at first, but once your figure it out it feels sexy.

Your shifting should be done long before you start to turn, and you should be pretty upright by the time you start the hard drive out of a corner. On a public road you should never have a problem with body position and shifting as you come out of a corner. If you do you're going way to fast for a public road seeing how the bike can do over 70 in 1st gear. It's all about being smooth with your body inputs.

Sorry if you know this stuff already just giving ya my advice. Ride safe man. :thumbup:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I guess my foot position is wrong and needs some work. But most of these roads are crested(higher in the middle) so the pegs are gonna drag no matter what, but if I move my feet then I shouldn't have any accidental shifting problems.