Doing the -1 front sprocket mod

stev0258

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm new the site but have had an '04 FZ6 for a few years now. Looking to do the -1 front sprocket mod and have a couple questions. I've been searching the site and googleing but haven't found the answers.

1) What is a recommended brand to use for the 15T sprocket?
2) Most I've seen say 15T 520, but I have read that a 530 will work. Is the 520/530 just weight or is it link spacing as well?
3) Does someone have a DIY posted? Didn't see anything in the mods section...

Appreciate your input, thanks!

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
MINE CAME WITH THE UPGRADED FRONT SPROCKET INSTALLED AND THE ORIGINAL. ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SEND ME ENOUGH FOR COFFEE, THIS IS CA= $5.00, AND SHIPPING CAN HAVE THIS UPGRADE...I'M PUTTING BACK TO STOCK ASAP.

AUDIBLE:rockon:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
520/530 refers to the width of the links.

The stock chain/sprockets are 530. In order to run 520, you would have to buy a new chain and front and rear sprockets.

As for brands, really any will work. Vortex, Renthal, etc are all popular.
If you want it to last, try to find a steel one(most of them are), instead of aluminum.

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder what type of improvments you should be expecting from this mod. If it's dramatical difference. i may consider doing it aswell..

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder what type of improvments you should be expecting from this mod. If it's dramatical difference. i may consider doing it aswell..

All it does is change the overall gear ratio. Meaning you'll be a little higher in RPM's vs. the stock gearing. It does help being into the powerband at a lower speed.

stev0258

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, does anyone have experience with Vortex? This is a common brand I see.

Also, any DIY or How-to's out there? Thanks.

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the vortex 15T sprocket for the original 530 chain. The vortex is a very nice piece. Quality looked nice. There are some how to's on this site. Search it out and you will find them, it is pretty straight forward but would be easier if you had a friend help you, just an FYI.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Check this out:

Another -1 in the front sprocket thread: where did you get yours? - Sportbikes.net

This is a thread I made on the "other" FZ6 forum. Mods, if I'm running afoul of board netiquette by posting a link to another forum, let me know and I'll copy the content over.

When I went to do this mod, I solicited front-sprocket sources from the board members there (and did a fair amount of googling for them myself), and posted up a complete list of sprocket vendors with links directly to the correct item and current sprocket prices. It's a whole menu of options for you.

You will still have to contact your top choices for a final price with shipping.

I went with Esjot, no complaints about the sprocket. In terms of the mod itself, it's my favorite one I've done to the bike. All the complaints of the bike having no bottom end, and the clutch requiring more feathering than a freshly-plucked Big Bird, etc. are dramatically lessened. She surges off the line with more authority and gets to her happy rpm range more quickly. At least, that's my impression. I honestly don't know why the bike didn't come this way from the factory, it feels like this is the way it should have been from the start. It's not night-and-day - don't get me wrong - but you will notice it.
Since you're riding around in slightly higher rpms at any given gear/speed combo, the only downside I know of is lower mileage (and increased speedo error). My opinion is that if you want better mileage/lower rpms at a given speed, click the lever by your left foot up a notch, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

stev0258

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet, thanks FizzySix, that's really helpful.

When taking it off, were you able to just loosen the chain and swap it out, or did you have to completely remove the chain? Does this require taking it off from the back first?

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet, thanks FizzySix, that's really helpful.

When taking it off, were you able to just loosen the chain and swap it out, or did you have to completely remove the chain? Does this require taking it off from the back first?

+1 curious to hear as doing mod myself :thumbup:

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First remove the front sprocket cover. Next loosen the nut holding the front sprocket. Put the bike on the center stand and loosen the rear axle nut and chain adjusters. Get enough slack to get the chain off the front sprocket. Remove front sprocket nut and install new sprocket. Reinstall front sprocket nut and locking washer and adjust chain tension. It takes maybe 15-30 minutes.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
First remove the front sprocket cover. Next loosen the nut holding the front sprocket. Put the bike on the center stand and loosen the rear axle nut and chain adjusters. Get enough slack to get the chain off the front sprocket. Remove front sprocket nut and install new sprocket. Reinstall front sprocket nut and locking washer and adjust chain tension. It takes maybe 15-30 minutes.

What he said.

Just to add a little more context: if the bike's in neutral the front sprocket will spin, I've seen people insert a section of 2x4 into the spokes of the rear wheel if it's spinning when you don't want it to, and finally, a "lock washer" is just a wide washer with 1-2 edges bent up (or possibly a tab dedicated to the purpose) to keep the nut from spinning off. You need to bend those down to get the nut off. You can reuse it or buy a new one, whatever you're comfortable with, but make sure it's on when you're done you've got one on there and an edge is bent back up.

That said, I only got as far as "loosen rear axle nut" and ran into a roadblock: I couldn't remove that nut for the life of me. I was standing on the bar/wrench and it was not coming off. I don't know if a gorilla put that on originally or what, but I couldn't get it off, so the next time the bike was in the shop for its New York State inspection, I had them do it. I don't remember how much it was, but not much, it didn't take them long, and they have bigger tools. My chain hadn't ever needed adjustment, so I had never run into the problem before!

jetskier

Reaction score
Visit site
MINE CAME WITH THE UPGRADED FRONT SPROCKET INSTALLED AND THE ORIGINAL. ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SEND ME ENOUGH FOR COFFEE, THIS IS CA= $5.00, AND SHIPPING CAN HAVE THIS UPGRADE...I'M PUTTING BACK TO STOCK ASAP.

AUDIBLE:rockon:

15T front sprocket still available? If so, I'll take you up on your offer.

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
i did this on mine and i took it off in less that a month. first off i didnt realize my bake had a +2 rear sprocket on it when i bought it and going -1 on front made me red line at about 90 MPH. so i went back stock on mine. now i am about to go back stock on the rear as i like long distance riding and LOVE taking the chicken strips off on the twisties so i have no use standing the bike up. as soon as i get this done ill put up a post selling these 2 stupid sprockets. but i will say this in its defense, that sucker was fast off the line lol.