Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
VR asks his new riders in his classroom during the Basic Rider Course:

What color is the asphault? Class responds: Black

What is a popular bike color? Classs responds: Black

What is a popular color for gear? Class responds: Black

What is a popular color for a helmet? Class responds:Black

VR quotes: "Just because you ride a black Ninja doesn't mean you need to dress like one" break up the color and be visible!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I've started swerving when I think people don't see me. It's almost comical to be wearing a high-viz vest, see that the person doesn't see me so I start to weave back and forth. Then the "Oh ****, where'd that bike come from?!" look on their face is priceless.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Hi Vis Jacket and helmet, I believe it does help get me noticed however you still have to ride like you are invisible because some people still just look right through you like you are not even there.

This is so true. Last week I had a woman almost drive right though me from behind. I can only assume she didn't see me at all, till the very last second. Needless to say, I got my hi vis jacket 2 days ago.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of high vis jackets are you guys wearing? Can you post up pictures? Just curious what kind of variations are out there.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my current jacket, a Tourmaster Epic.
DSC01847.jpg

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Ask yourself this:

Have you ever ran over a road cone or hit a DOT highway barrel because you didn't see it? Probably not...that's because these are always bright ORANGE. If they were black chances are you would have ran a few over.

Traffic%20cones%20road%20construction.jpg

I notice riders in hi-vis gear faster when I'm in my cage so I'm positive it does help. Any little bit of help with the silly cagers is worth it!

Last edited:

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Like Vincent, I, too, just have a simple reflective vest over the jacket. Since it velcros in the front, I never have to take it off the jacket, I just un-do the front, unzip the jacket, and take them both off (and put them both on!) as a unit. Works really nice this way. My last reflective vest was velcro-ed on the sides, so you had to take it off each time before taking the jacket off.

My current vest is this one from Harbor Freight - $5. I've used it for a year, and it has held up great.

As a fellow RiderCoach, I thought you would appreciate this, VegasRider. I actually bought 2 dozen of these vests last year with the intent of giving them to students in my BRCs as a "graduation present". I didn't know how long the supply would last. I tell students that these are paid for out of my pocket, they aren't included in the class, and while I really want them to take one, if they aren't going to wear it they can just pass. Surprisingly enough (perhaps I'm naive), I only get about 1/3 or less of students that take the vests. I guess this proved me wrong -- people don't wear vests because they don't want to look like a "dork", not because they don't want to go through the minor effort to purchase one.

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of high vis jackets are you guys wearing? Can you post up pictures? Just curious what kind of variations are out there.

I wear an Olympia GT Air purchased for the abundance of venting for Texas Summers in addition to the Hi-Viz. The jacket doesn't have a ton of Hi-Viz, but I also wear a Hi-Viz Scorpion EXO-700 or EXO-900 depending on the ride.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site

here is my Firstgear Rush Mesh Jacket in dayglow,

2010-Firstgear-Rush-Mesh-Jacket.jpg

$150 from motorcycle-superstore.com with 5% off coupon.
I'm really happy with it. CE armor at the elbow and shoulder.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll never know if it helps. If you get into a crash, you can only wonder if it might have helped, after the damage is done.

I wear a mil-spec vest at night and in the rain or other low-viz conditions. Can't hurt!

vincentmoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Like Vincent, I, too, just have a simple reflective vest over the jacket. Since it velcros in the front, I never have to take it off the jacket, I just un-do the front, unzip the jacket, and take them both off (and put them both on!) as a unit. Works really nice this way.

You know, as dumb as it sounds like. I've never thought of just undoing the Velcro of the reflective vest and just keep it with the jacket:BLAA: that's actually a very good idea!

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted "Maybe", as I don't rely on anybody seeing me. The problem is that as more and more people are wearing them we become accustomed to seeing them and they then do not stand out.

One thing to note is that usually the "hook and loop" closure on these is a cheap ineffective copy of Velcro (tm) and often does not stay stuck together at speed, so it's better to spend a little more and get one with a zipper . . .

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi viz don't work fer me. I commute in a black leather jacket, and dark helmet, but wear a hi viz 'Stich & bright yellow helmet on longer rides.
I get run off the road mor with the hi viz; I think I'm an easier target? :eek:

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi viz don't work fer me. I commute in a black leather jacket, and dark helmet, but wear a hi viz 'Stich & bright yellow helmet on longer rides.
I get run off the road more with the hi viz; I think I'm an easier target? :eek:

My experience has been that commuting is a lot safer than weekend riding, even on the same road. Commuters know their route, know traffic patterns, and generally don't dive for an exit across three lanes to get to the mall. Speeds are more predictable and consistent (don't have grandps going 60 and kids going 90).

I'd guess your experience has more to do with the situation than your gear.

But that is also why I'm in the 'maybe' camp.

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Got knocked off my fazer last year on a roundabout where the driver came straight through from my left. ( he should give way to is right ). I was wearing my hi viz, headlight on, indicator on, he said sorry did not see you.

My point is hi viz or not if the driver is not concentrating on the road nine times out of ten he will hit you. That is why we have got a petition up to include questions on motorcycles when you go in for your car test. If this gets included in the test and one life is saved then in my book it's a result. :thumbup:

Motorcyclists Matter

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe Hi viz can help, but I feel it's much more important to always be actively putting yourself into sight lines of other vehicles. Realizing when opposing traffic, people entering roadways, even traffic on the highway cannot see you. Remember, you are a sliver of the size of everything else on the road. If your behind a van, truck, in a blind spot, or even in a weird angle on the other side of a car chances are someone doesn't see you and may come into you. That said, wearing some bright ass colors is certainly helpful.

C

CoolATIGuy

Some people wouldn't see you if you had fireworks shooting off your bike and neon arrow over your head.

lol

Chevy, you have a stock exhaust and horn, that's what you're comparing right?

I do both - I have a Stebel Nautilus (finally a horn you can hear on the interstate, and don't have to be embarrassed to use), but also clutch and rev on occasion (like if coming up to a merge lane, or passing a semi). I figure any extra sounds to break them out of the ignorant spell cast upon them and back into the land of the living is worth a shot...

If it wasn't for attracting extra unwanted LEO attention, I'd probably be more inclined to upgrade to two brothers or scorpion or somesuch..

I also wear a lime green armored mesh sporty riding jacket - I like the all blacked out bike + rider combo, but feels like a black hole for cars to get sucked right into you...

Last edited by a moderator:

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
My experience has been that commuting is a lot safer than weekend riding, even on the same road. Commuters know their route, know traffic patterns, and generally don't dive for an exit across three lanes to get to the mall. Speeds are more predictable and consistent (don't have grandps going 60 and kids going 90).

I'd guess your experience has more to do with the situation than your gear.

But that is also why I'm in the 'maybe' camp.
Great points. :thumbup: