Does anyone think painting the windshield

brian-oki

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you think painting the windshield to match my color red bike would work? I thought about primering then spraying it.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it would look better black..

Btw.. If you use primer, isn't that the color you will end up seeing through the windshield? Unless you plan on painting the outside of course..

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you would be taking a chance on the color match. The question is, if you mess up, can you afford to buy another one? OEM or Puig etc.

This is what I had to think about when I decided to paint mine in a way that no one else here on the forum had. There really isn't a guaranteed way to remove the paint after you get it on there, most ways will ruin your Windscreen.

I had NEVER spray painted anything, so you may be WAY ahead of the game if you've done this before.

Another thing to think about is NOT priming it and painting the inside of the screen like a bunch of us have, it comes up looking sweeeet!

I'll attach a pic of mine when I finished painting it silver and black. I wanted the look of the newer FZ6s that had the smaller windscreen, so I painted the silver (didn't want to risk the color match with blue) on the outer and black on the inner portion.
attachment.php

attachment.php

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A few of us have painted our screens on the inside with Krylon Fusion spray paint with success. There is a few write ups in the the mods section on how to do it. I think most have painted the screens black but i dont see why red wouldnt work as well

brian-oki

Reaction score
Visit site
THANKS, I have my red bike paint left over when I painted the tail section to match. I cant see out the windshield anyway, its to short. So its all for looks.

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
THANKS, I have my red bike paint left over when I painted the tail section to match. I cant see out the windshield anyway, its to short. So its all for looks.

perfect! You can paint the inside, just don't prime it first

rent-a-reaper

captain caveman!
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, before i'm mobbed...let me explain why i painted the outside of the windshield. It was severely scratched up during an accident, so i had no choice, unless i wanted to replace it.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it would look better black..

Btw.. If you use primer, isn't that the color you will end up seeing through the windshield? Unless you plan on painting the outside of course..

:rockon: I almost fell of my chair laughing at this.

I don`t think he thought of that.

Steve

Pimpson

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, before i'm mobbed...let me explain why i painted the outside of the windshield. It was severely scratched up during an accident, so i had no choice, unless i wanted to replace it.

That is exactly what I was going to do. Except leaving the middle clear. Let's see some pics on the bike. :thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you plan it out, you can do what Keira did and make a 2-tone design on your windshield. you can see that she painted the silver first with a homemade "Sticker" on the shield to protect the design from getting paint on it, then she removed the design and painted another color in blue to make it 2-tone.

Good luck!

DCP_2295.jpg

DCP_2297.jpg

DCP_2299.jpg

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
This process is the same as painting my R/C bodies. Any decals or shapes can be added, but must be done first. Then the main color is to be done, followed by the secondary and so on.

A few tips:

Decals need to be reversed to be read correctly or the sticky material placed ontop of the image.

If you go to your local Hobby Shop or the one I work at:
Carolinas R/C -- Our Customers Come 1st!
you can special lexan paint that is designed to flex as the body does so the paint does not chip. In addition to this you can get blank decal sheets to make your own as well as liquid mask to cut our your own design. If you use this paint: Carolinas R/C -- Our Customers Come 1st! it helps if you heat the paint up by placing the can in a pot of water and then heating it up slowly on the stove. The paint comes out of the can much thinner and more even.

Also another tip for those of you doing colors. Be sure to apply the darkest or heaviest coat first, that way the colors will not bleed through. That and to get your colors to really "POP" be sure to make your last coat a bright white cover coat. The white makes the other colors in front of them really stand out.

Hope this helps.

-bryan

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i just painted mine last night, hopefully ill get it put on tonight, maybe snap a pic or two. it didnt turn out as good as i wanted.. i kinda F-ed up. the bottle says between 50 and 90 degrees or something, i think it was only 48 outside when idid it. gave it 25 min to dry and still managed to get a finger print or two on it. :( .... just reapplied another coat and it turned out ok

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i just painted mine last night, hopefully ill get it put on tonight, maybe snap a pic or two. it didnt turn out as good as i wanted.. i kinda F-ed up. the bottle says between 50 and 90 degrees or something, i think it was only 48 outside when idid it. gave it 25 min to dry and still managed to get a finger print or two on it. :( .... just reapplied another coat and it turned out ok

Can't wait to see it, I bet your mistake is one of those things that only you will ever see... Nobody else will ever notice.