Do you put your foot on the floor to test grip levels?

Do you put your foot down to test the grip levels?

• Total voters

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
hm, I cant even placed my either left or right foot on the ground completely flat.

always tip toe-ing at traffic lights=p

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
So thats why the guy on the picture puts his feet down:D Not sure if it has any other effect than scraping away his boots at that speed though

I never put my foot down, I just check the temperature. allmost freezing=> be carefull.

The only time I put my foot down, is in a discussion with my girlfriend.

Just kidding.......she always wins:spank:

Somehow women always have the final word in a discussion, and everything you say after that, is the start of a new discussion.

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone said earlier that they put their knee puck down to see how grippy it is, wonder if he falls off when he finds it isn't and he's just tried to get his knee down on a damp slippery road!!!!! Either that or he's got incredibly long legs and can get his knee down without leaning the bike over.
If a race looks like being damp you often see the pros dragging a foot on the warm up lap to see how grippy it is, but they don't have to contend with cow crap, tractor mud, diesel etc etc. They know that however slippy it feels at one point is going to be the same all round the track. For us the conditions change so often it's pretty pointless because 50 yards down the road it will be different.

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
Of all the tools I use when riding (other than my mind dyno) my faviorate has to be my eyes.

IF I can see it I can avoid it, with one foot on the ground I am one limb away from being a motorcyclist.

Toes on pegs, eyes on the grindstone,asphault IMHO.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, if I'm going to ride a motorcycle, I ride it so that I am in proper control at all times - I don't drag my feet on the ground at any speed. Not worth the risk to me. If I want to test the grip of the road, I use the rear brake and rear tire (when it is safe to do so) to get a feel for the level of grip.

The idea isn't to mash down on the rear break lever, but to increasingly apply pressure in a smooth controlled manner to get a feel for grip level with the rear tire. As long as I'm in a straight line and fully upright a small lockup will be uneventful. If someone is a new rider and in doubt of the road grip, SLOW down and be safe.

Even for very slow riding, I never drag my feet or put my feet down on the ground. My feet are on the pegs unless I'm stopped; then I have my right foot covering the rear brake and my left foot fully planted on the ground.

zappa

Reaction score
Visit site
So thats why the guy on the picture puts his feet down:D Not sure if it has any other effect than scraping away his boots at that speed though

Looks like no one ever taught the bloke to load luggage, it's a right mess. ;)

I sometimes scrape my foot on my drive, just to see what it is like when I'm starting the bike/getting it out of the garage. I agree though, road surface changes too often and reacts too differently with tyres to be able to gauge anything useful whilst riding. It'd probably unsettle the bike more than usual to have all your weight put on the seat too, not something you'd really want to do if the grip levels were low :p

I just use the usual cues and forward planning, seems to do the job.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I do it but only when the road is very lightly wet. In the UK we get a lot of very light rain that can cause the road to become very slick as the oils in the road come to the surface but don't get washed away by the rain. It's at those times that I will 'check the road' but then only below, say, 5 mph when I'm getting ready to stop. Usually, I'll leave my foot down as I stop. If it's been raining hard or for a long time (hours or days) then I usually don't bother as the oils have had a chance to wash away.

I hope that helps.

could not have described it better, this mirrors my technique very close. However, I also drag my feet to get fresh rubber on the bottom of my boot, but only when i got something on it. For example put foot down in oil spot at stop light.