Do/or have you used a camelbak?

I will be having a surgery soon and afterwards it is a challenge to get the hydration needed. When riding I don't want to stop every 15 minutes for a drink. So, I am considering a camelbak as I wear a full face helmet. If you have used one, or use one regularly please let me know, in your opinion, what the pros and cons are.

I have used my old mtn bike camelbak on 2 different 3 hr long mtn rides - was glad to have icey water on my back - and in my tummy! Did not effect the ride at all, forgot it was on me most of the time till I felt the need to hydrate.

Weight is not a problem, less than my backpack for work with my laptop and change of clothes in it.. :)

Of course there are form fit options too!! Although these may have better applications than riding....
Blah Blah
attachment.php

I use a Kriega R15 with a 3L camelbak bladder - I normally only put 2L in unless I think I might not have a chance to refill during a very long ride.

Local Wal-wart sells a mini bladder (way cheaper than Camebak brand) that fits in a tank bag. I'm not a huge fan of wearing a 3L bak while riding (preference) but a 1.5 isn't bad. Just make sure you get L-shaped tube attachment. It will fit under the helmet better.

If you're trying to roll on the cheap/minimalist, you can get a 1L military canteen with the camelbak straw adapter. Those work pretty good and take up a lot less space / weight.

Hydration is a fickel thing. On maneuvers, I've never put down over 18L per day. I've gotten by with as little as 2L in 18hrs of steady work in 90+ heat but it's not the recommended technique. I can't imagine sweating so much on a motorcycle that I would need Camelbak level hydration though. Once you've used one for a while and get over the "cool-gear" factor, it becomes more of a PITA than its worth.

Local Wal-wart sells a mini bladder (way cheaper than Camebak brand) that fits in a tank bag. I'm not a huge fan of wearing a 3L bak while riding (preference) but a 1.5 isn't bad. Just make sure you get L-shaped tube attachment. It will fit under the helmet better.

If you're trying to roll on the cheap/minimalist, you can get a 1L military canteen with the camelbak straw adapter. Those work pretty good and take up a lot less space / weight.

Hydration is a fickel thing. On maneuvers, I've never put down over 18L per day. I've gotten by with as little as 2L in 18hrs of steady work in 90+ heat but it's not the recommended technique. I can't imagine sweating so much on a motorcycle that I would need Camelbak level hydration though. Once you've used one for a while and get over the "cool-gear" factor, it becomes more of a PITA than its worth.

Be careful of the cheap bladder and hose. You will taste the difference and what you'll be tasting is very probably not good for you. A few of us SoCal member hit the desert and water is important to us. We are sometimes well over 100 F and in fullgear. I have a small Camelbak and I don't ever think about it until I'm thirsty. If I'm on the road all day I get it refreshed with ice.:)

Be careful of the cheap bladder and hose. You will taste the difference and what you'll be tasting is very probably not good for you. A few of us SoCal member hit the desert and water is important to us. We are sometimes well over 100 F and in fullgear. I have a small Camelbak and I don't ever think about it until I'm thirsty. If I'm on the road all day I get it refreshed with ice.:)

Never noticed any taste issues. The Camelbak is a good product for those that need to haul a lot of water and have it handy. As for the off-brand, I have noticed that there are more physical strength issues, as they are not normally made for military use. If durability is a concern, I recommend getting a military version. I've had both military and civilian bladders and the difference is obvious (and important if you drop a ruck on it).

The surgery I will be having requires me to drink small amounts regularly as I will be at high risk for dehydration. Since we ride for usual over an hour before a quick break I need some hydration in between.

Ooh, you need a bikers camelbak. Think mountain biking. They have really compact bladders for this purpose. Maybe 1l and kinda square. Fits in almost anything.

Never noticed any taste issues. The Camelbak is a good product for those that need to haul a lot of water and have it handy. As for the off-brand, I have noticed that there are more physical strength issues, as they are not normally made for military use. If durability is a concern, I recommend getting a military version. I've had both military and civilian bladders and the difference is obvious (and important if you drop a ruck on it).

Yes I've seen quite few military friends that have military issue and they are well done.

Back