Do any FZ6 owners also own a cruiser?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious. Seems that most FZ6 riders only own one bike.

I love my FZ6, it's a good all around bike but I have been itching for a proper cruiser bike, something that I can throw the wife on the bike and have a comfortable 8 hour ride or load down with 200 lbs of camping gear and hit WV for the weekend.

Like many of you I couldn't only have a 750 lb beast of a bike that is no fun in the curves! I plan to keep the FZ6 for commute and mountain knee dragging! My wife is actually all for me keeping the FZ6! She's a keeper.

Discuss!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I learned to ride on a cruiser, a v star 650. A great little bike but I don know if it would be too great for 2 up trips

Fat Broke

Reaction score
Visit site
Cruiser...roadstar's are fantastic bikes and you can pick a low mileage full dress for $4-6k. Really good bikes (i own one) and plenty of comfort and power for what you're describing.
I have an old R100RT that's about 440lbs, 1000cc, full fairing, full bags will go anywhere and as its an opposed twin it's super simple to work on. They are light (relative to the 600+ lb roadie) and reliable but not the same power and not a "cruiser" more of a sport touring bike.
For touring you want something COMFY, fairing, bags and heavy isn't bad as long as weight is balanced. The roadstar is balanced very well doesn't feel as heavy as it is. Something like the honda VT 1800... Damn just lifting off the side stand is a chore... Steer clear.
There's always the Harley route ( I have one as well) but they are underpowered and cost more.
My suggestion would be a Roadstar Silverado with ~10k miles or so... Prolly $6500... Can't go wrong, there's a tranny recall on early models 99-03... You can't get for a couple grand cheaper for higher mileage bikes. Hope that helps.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
How about an adventure touring model?

Yamaha makes a nice one...does pretty good on the twisties. :cool:

1000-6.jpg

LesL60

Reaction score
Visit site
In addition to the FZ, I have a Kawa Voyager (old style, 1985 style and technology), and two Yami TTR225's. I want to be comfortable on commutes and trips, have soemthing for curves and shorter trips, and something to play in the dirt.

I'd like to get the Russell seat, hard luggage, and the full fairings for the FZ so I can ride it farther and stay away longer. It would be more fun than a heavier bike like the Kawi Concours, FJR1300 or the Honda ST1300, though any of those would be a fine fifth bike.

I also can't shake the urge for a really nice Honda Pacific Coast.

Started on cruisers and won't go back!

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only cruiser I've ever had was the one I had before the FZ6 and after many other bikes (see my profile). I bought a 2004 V-Star 1100 Silverado and added all the bells and whistles..Corbin seat, Hard Krome exhaust, chrome everywhere, etc.. I had it for 5 years trying to convince myself that I should act my age and get away from the temptation that comes with having a sport bike. Needless to say, I had the V-Star for 5 years and put a total of 5,000 miles on it. It always felt like I was riding a relining lounge chair!
I sold the cruiser and after a year got the FZ and in the 2+ years I've had the FZ I've logged 14,000 miles, many multi day trips and haven't looked back....:rockon:

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i have recently gotten the itch for a smaller touring type bike like the fjr1300 around a 2006-2007 model, the catch is I'd have to sell the FZ because i wouldn't be able to justify both:( tough call

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an FJR13 :D
i have recently gotten the itch for a smaller touring type bike like the fjr1300 around a 2006-2007 model, the catch is I'd have to sell the FZ because i wouldn't be able to justify both:( tough call
This is a hard choice, I'm lucky I got both! Since I've had the FJR longer, she's kinda my true luv, but the little FZ6 does everythang well too.
I do like all the storage on the FJR, (I can fit my Slime pump, and elaborate tire repair kit under the seat) I like the shaft for low maintenance, and that adjustable wind screen.
But be'in lighter, the FZ is better on dirt roads, and it's kinda mor "fun." (The FJR is fun, but it's a more serious fun!) The FJR is much better 2 up; my wife wouldn't consider riding on the FZ.
Yep, itza hard decision. :confused:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i have recently gotten the itch for a smaller touring type bike like the fjr1300

how can you call the fjr a smaller touring bike?:D

i've never had anything larger than the fz6 so i cannot contribute, the itch is there of course, but i have to keep on scratching it for a long time before some funds are remotely available:(

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't owned one, but I used to ride my dad's harley dyna police special they have their place but not really my style, an FJR1300 otoh I would love for long distance, being 6'4" doesn't leave alot of stretching room on the little fizzer, but I doubt I would ever give her up.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site

I love my FZ6, it's a good all around bike but I have been itching for a proper cruiser bike, something that I can throw the wife on the bike and have a comfortable 8 hour ride or load down with 200 lbs of camping gear and hit WV for the weekend.

Like many of you I couldn't only have a 750 lb beast of a bike that is no fun in the curves! I plan to keep the FZ6 for commute and mountain knee dragging! My wife is actually all for me keeping the FZ6! She's a keeper.

Discuss!
i tried a virago,
but didnt like the layout
so yes 1 bike for me plus my car for those rainy days
which is a lot where i come from

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i have (or did have) a sports bike for track days and the weekend.

going to replace it with a track only bike

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
My dad has a 2004 V-star 650, I've put a few miles on it. I couldn't really get that comfortable on it. I found it I had a tendency to slouch over on it, rather than keep my back straight with good posture. And the height of the windscreen gave me crazy buffeting in my helmet if my visor was open. My fiancee found it even less comfortable for 2-up than my previous bike, a 2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R. And I ground hard parts on one of the first turn I took with it.

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site

Discuss!

WoW!! I'm suprised that on a sport bike forum, you didn't get reemed for even suggesting you might want a cruiser :D. I've had cruisers for years and been around the guys that ride them, I have always found that sport bike guys are usually A LOT more,,, well,,,,, biased. ;)

Anyway, I agree with "Fat Broke", a used roadstar can be had at a decent price. They were (and still are) a popular bike for Yamaha, so used ones are fairly plentiful. They are comfortable, built to go the distance. A lot of roady owners have reported getting up to 200,000 miles will just normal maintenance, and still running strong. I bought my R* Midnight new in 06, it has 50k and still running strong. Another plus for the roady is If you ever get into modifying it, the aftermarket is almost as large as Harleys. Which is NOT the case with most Jap cruisers.

At present, I have my FZ1 and the wifes FZ6 and a 2006 Roadstar Midnight. My R* isn't setup for touring but I can attest, first hand, that they are comfortable and reliable machines.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
having the best of both worlds is a plus for sure. I got the vulcan first in 06 then the fz6 in 09. I have been saying for some time now I would sell both and get a sport tourer. I love having 2 bikes but one always gets neglected a bit and they get jealous. I have a rear seat and sissybar setup for the vulcan so that's what i take the girlfriend on. the fz6 is not comfy for that.

2010%5C06%5C12%5Cbikepics-1996042-800.jpg

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
WoW!! I'm suprised that on a sport bike forum, you didn't get reemed for even suggesting you might want a cruiser :D. I've had cruisers for years and been around the guys that ride them, I have always found that sport bike guys are usually A LOT more,,, well,,,,, biased. ;)

I feel that most FZ6 owners are more reasonable and less biased. Now on an R6 forum, yes it would have been a fire storm! :D

I've considered the FJR but it's still "sporty" and with keeping the FZ6 it doesn't make sense to have 2 sporty bikes. I like versatility. I want my second bike to be capable of comfortable long distance 2-up riding and still have room to store enough luggage for a week.

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
Luggage for a week for you and I, isnt a problem..but for the wife...now thats going to be tough...ever thought about a trailer?

I went with the sport touring model myself..the wife and I can easily put 600-700 miles on in a day, and she was plenty comfortable (set the ESA to comfort) but two up really isnt that much fun in the twistys...though we do pass every HD we see..

So I bought her a FZ6..

See...no need for a cruiser..:BLAA:

Now we can both load up the bike(s) and a week is easy...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Luggage for a week for you and I, isnt a problem..but for the wife...now thats going to be tough...ever thought about a trailer?

I got lucky. I married the farmer's daughter. She packs just as light as me on trips, she don't need no stinking shoes or hair dryers. :thumbup:

This is the cruiser model I'm most interested in: 2005-2008 Victory Kingpin Tour
24_06kingpindeluxe.jpg

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a nice looking machine for sure..
I prefer a slightly leaned forward ride though, or my back will kill me in less than 100 miles...

I say go for it..you can never have enough motorcycles..even if one is a cruiser..

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
Did have before my 99 Fazer (if you can call it a cruiser ) a lexmoto vixen

Bike-in-a-box blog

Like the one on top left ...was a chinese monkey metal thing but in all fairness carried me a long way and got me road wise enough to pass my DAS ...then got my beasty Fazer :rockon: