DIY Tire Changes

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the members on the FZ-09 forum is the owner of a company called "Beadbuster"; Link Below:

BeadBuster XB-450 ATV Bead Breaker Tool

Looks like a reasonable alternative.

Honestly.. if you're going to be shelling out money on the full setup, the built-in NoMar bead breaker is infinitely quicker to use with no chance of scratching the rim. It has been reported that NoMar has a tough time breaking ATV bead (not enough travel.. or not enough leverage), so I can see how beadbuster would be very useful for that application.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know why anyone would spend money on a bead breaker. A couple pieces of 2x4 work perfectly and are easy to store for the next time, Bead Breaker for Motorcycle Tires - webBikeWorld

Saying that, mounting the tires is another matter. I self mounted my last set with three tire irons and rim protectors, cursed enough to make a sailor proud doing it. Supposedly this can be done effortlessly and in no time with some skill, which I clearly lack after my try.

PS, you may want to reconsider buying/making a tire balancer. There's some debate (Should I balance my tires? - ADVrider) on whether bike tires need to be balanced or not. My last two sets have not been balanced in any way, and had zero vibration.

Some links for tire install / removal below:

Balancing doesn't take long, execially once you get used to it. If you ever saw your new tire on a machine, you'l see how far out weight wise, their usually out... A very cheap investment, well worth it for longer tread life and no, un-neded vbrations..No un-needed vibs on the bearings, etc either.. I've had ONE tire that didn't need any balancing in the last 30 years.... Just hang the wheel/tire on the axle with NO DRAG and see if it rotates.. At least 90% of them will have a heavy spot...

I balance the 12" wheels on my MC trailer (static) as well. Just loosen up the wheel bearing and remove most of the grease (to decrease friction-re-greasing anyway) and check andust balance right on the spindle..

To invest 10 minutes and maybe, $1.00's worth of weights to a $100.00+ tire is a NO brainer IMO...

http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...ting-tires-without-tools-other-tire-tips.html

How to dismount motorcycle tire with zipties - YouTube

How to mount motorcycle tire with zipties - YouTube

Last edited: