DIY Tire Changes

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
So, just like everyone here, I hate spending 30-50 bucks per wheel having your tires swapped out.

My roommate and I have four bikes in our garage right now and are at the point where we've decided to buy/make a bead breaker and balancing stand. Looking at the breakers sold online (in the ~$100 range) and assuming we're just going to build a simple static balancer out of wood and bearings it will easily pay for itself in one season.

Anyone have any experience with bead breakers in this price range? Building their own balancer (we'll need it to accept a variety of different wheel sizes/shapes - 3 sportbikes/sport tourers with 17'' wheels (probably different axle diameters) and an old Yamaha running (I think) a 19" in the front and an 18" rear.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With that many bikes it is probably worth it to go the tire changer route. I have a Cycle Hill (No-Mar's cheaper version) and I love it. Actually, they are on sale significantly at the moment; Check it out: Tire Changers

Where was this price a year ago!:don'tknow:

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
I only have experience with 2 different bead breakers. One made of 2x4's and door hinges for about $5 and one that came with my $70 tire changer.

So I would suggest to buy a cheap tire changer and a $40 harbor freight balancer (I don't even balance anymore, frankly)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/PowerLift-Tire-Changer/dp/B000PTKONY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390923765&sr=8-1&keywords=tire+changer"]Tire Changer - Amazon.com[/ame]

Motorcycle Wheel Balancer w/ Stand

I got this too, works great

Mount/Demount Bar for Manual Tire Changers

Last edited:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
4 bikes? Save yourself the struggle and buy a cheap tire changer.itll pay for itself in 1 or 2 tire changes.

Koozi

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I am old school, but 3 tire irons, a keg with the top cut out of it for a stand and 20 minutes equals a changed tire.

I don't balance and have not noticed any problems. Feels just like the ones that have been balanced before I changed them. Actually better because they are new.

I have a bead breaker like this one:

image_13700.jpg

I have had it almost 20 years and the guy that gave it to me may have had it for that long too. Works perfectly.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with other replies.. too many bikes for a not-so-great solution.

If you're paying 30 per tire now and have 4 bikes.. a GOOD tire changer will pay for itself relatively quickly and should last a lifetime. I highly recommend NoMar.

My setup:
a8lh.jpg

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Eric, you make me wish I had good tools in my house right now. That's probably the right way to go.

Good thing the Progressive International Motorcycle Show is in town this weekend and guess which company is going to be there with a heavy stock of inventory?

Looks like I have no choice but to buy a good setup.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
To keep it real cheap my friend built a bead breaker basicall a lever attached to the garage wall on a pivot, with a smaller arm coming off of the main lever also on a pivot.. Works Great!! (often used for car tires or whatever else were working on.

To dismount I have a couple tire levers and some plastic rim protectors.

To mount, I have about a 10 huge zip ties, tie the tire beads together and they basically put themselves on the rim.

To Balance, (umm well, I dont)... Ive never had an issue without balancing.. nothing shakes at speed.. soo?? <<(let the ridicule begin for this comment)

Total investment less than $30.. investment paid for in one tire change!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget, you'll also need a compressor with a big enough flowrate to set the bead.

Excellent point. Bead needs to be set at 40psi and your compressor must put out enough volume to fill up the tire and still push out 40psi.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i know how hard it can be to change a tire w/o the proper machine/ tools especially when its cold out. i would either buy the set up that erci has or make friends w/ the guys at a local mavis discount tire center or goodyear and they might help u out for free. a lot of people have the same love for motorcycles even if they dont have one and are willing to help a brother out. :thumbup: i made a couple friends at a goodyear tire place near me and they didnt even want money from me so i just bought them lunch.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent point. Bead needs to be set at 40psi and your compressor must put out enough volume to fill up the tire and still push out 40psi.

Psh. I once set the bead on a boat trailer tire with a bicycle pump.

NEVER AGAIN.

Edit: sarcasm.

Last edited:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget, you'll also need a compressor with a big enough flowrate to set the bead.

It isn't the compressor CFM that matters, it's the capacity of the air reservoir and diameter of the air hose that determines flow to the tire.

An old trick: Remove the core from the valve stem to seat the beads, let out the air, reinstall the core and re-inflate.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
An old trick: Remove the core from the valve stem to seat the beads, let out the air, reinstall the core and re-inflate.

I didn't even know it possible to seat the bead without removing the core! So far I've done every tire this way :thumbup:

I usually re-install the core without letting the air out. If you're careful you can get the core in while still keeping about 20psi in the tire. Certainly not required, but I find it easy enough to do.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, just like everyone here, I hate spending 30-50 bucks per wheel having your tires swapped out.

My roommate and I have four bikes in our garage right now and are at the point where we've decided to buy/make a bead breaker and balancing stand. Looking at the breakers sold online (in the ~$100 range) and assuming we're just going to build a simple static balancer out of wood and bearings it will easily pay for itself in one season.

Anyone have any experience with bead breakers in this price range? Building their own balancer (we'll need it to accept a variety of different wheel sizes/shapes - 3 sportbikes/sport tourers with 17'' wheels (probably different axle diameters) and an old Yamaha running (I think) a 19" in the front and an 18" rear.

If you have access to a welder and work with steel, this is how I made my own bead breaker: Post #18:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/49304-changing-tires-zip-ties-2.html

Since I made it, of course, I stopped picking up nails and crap in my back tire. :thumbup:

I also made my own balancing stand however you can easily make your own or use the bike itself. Welded an old bed frame in a rectangle. Then welded two pieces, verticle, upwards (wide enough to fit the rear (and front)) tire. Notched out the top of the verticle steel, to keep my horizontal steel tube/bar from slipping off.

For making your own, a set of automotive can stands and a piece of round, STRAIGHT steel, that will fit thru you wheel bearings will work. Just make sure its long enough to reach both stands.

With the calpers removed, you can usually just let the wheel (if its the rear, pull the chain out of the way) stay on the axle loosely, (don't tighten anything down), and that will usually allow you to do a static balance..

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know why anyone would spend money on a bead breaker. A couple pieces of 2x4 work perfectly and are easy to store for the next time, Bead Breaker for Motorcycle Tires - webBikeWorld

Saying that, mounting the tires is another matter. I self mounted my last set with three tire irons and rim protectors, cursed enough to make a sailor proud doing it. Supposedly this can be done effortlessly and in no time with some skill, which I clearly lack after my try.

PS, you may want to reconsider buying/making a tire balancer. There's some debate (Should I balance my tires? - ADVrider) on whether bike tires need to be balanced or not. My last two sets have not been balanced in any way, and had zero vibration.