DIY saddlebag supports I Made

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
Basing off the Motech Blaze saddlebag brace system, I decided to fabricate my own. I took a piece of scrap aluminum and drilled the holes to mount underneath the passenger footpegs. I then drilled the holes to hold the steel rod.

The steel rod is held in place by two u-clamps. They're commonly used on exhaust joints. I found the little ones at Lowes in the area where they cut rope/chain by the foot.

I then cut and bent the plates so they'd fit under the passenger pegs given that there's a little curve to it. I then double bent the steel rod by hand using a bench top vise and cut them to length. Finally they were painted and voila!

This was all accomplished with a handheld drill and an angle grinder with a cutting wheel and a grinding wheel. It could be done easier with welding which would eliminate the need for the u brackets. In total took me about 3 hours not counting painting.

Supplies:
-Aluminum plate 26 gauge
-1/4" steel rod, approx. 3'
-U clamp x4
-drill
-angle grinder

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
20121218_144903.jpg

20121218_145242.jpg

1355953799927.jpg

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One more option to throw into the pot. Good job on the supports! A few of us have come up with different ideas, search it and tell us what you think:rockon:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Look good and simple. I appreciate when people use their imagination and skills instead to always paying the big $$$.

ON the other hand, not sure if its the lighting or not... looks like your chain need some love. LOL