Dirt Bike Beginner

TripNip

Men of Mayhem
Reaction score
Visit site
I wanna try out a bit of offroading, theres a small abandoned wood behind my house and I want to tear it up on a dirt bike. I've never tried anything like this before and I want to know what would be suitable.

Want to do it cheaply but I guess my real question is... Would a 125 Pit Bike be too small and weak? I mean I know nothing about this kind of thing but would I be wanting more than that?

New MXB 125cc Pit Bike/Dirt Bike/ATV/Motorcross | eBay

This is what I'm looking at.

Is this just a kids bike?

I'm 5"10 and very roughly 80kg

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
You don't want a pit bike. They are way too small for a grown man. I bought one for my 7 year old, it's a good size for him. You'd be able to ride it, but it's not made so much for running off road but for getting around in the pits at a race track. They make them small so they take less room, and put a big engine on so it can pull a grown man.

That being said, the one pic that kinda lets you judge the size make them look bigger. Do you know how tall they are?

TripNip

Men of Mayhem
Reaction score
Visit site
30" seat from the floor

So your saying this wouldn't be fun/wouldnt handle green laning and would be underpowered with my weight?

Any suggestions to what I get instead? I just figured they'd be nice and light for when you fall off.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
a 125 will be fine for off roading, usually they have a massive rear sprocket and bags of torque, anythign more than a 250 would probably be too powerful to begin with i suspect

i'd look for a proper full sized bike though, expect them have taken a few falls

when i did the the motocross day a few weeks back we used kawasaki kx125's and 250's

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Go to a dealer in your area, tell him what you told us and they will be able to point you in the right direction. I grew up on dirt bikes and they are a rippin good time! They are much different than a street bike. When you hit the gas the back tire will be spinning and fishtailing, it takes time to get used to the bike moving around so much but is so much fun!! And you will crash! So be careful and don't try to do too much! And don't worry about breaking some plastic, it's gonna happen!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.779330,-91.205868

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha TW200

Suzuki DR200

both are lightweight and maneuverable and have enough pop to keep you happy; they also don't require much to work

TripNip

Men of Mayhem
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, I guess that idea is out the window then! I only really wanted to spend like £400, find loads of pit bikes in that range but no full sized bikes that don't require alot of work!

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Yeah, sorry about that. A pit bike would be a big disappointment when you finally rode it. They're just too small to ride like you want to.

BTW - I would also suggest getting a 4 stroke as opposed to a 2 stroke (2 cycle). A 2 stroke runs real good wide open, but other then that a 4 stroke would be the better choice (IMHO). My KDX is a 2 stroke, but I wish I had gotten a 4 stroke bike instead. LOL

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would get an older bike, you do not want to scratch up a pretty new bike in the woods. I found a DR350s 6-speed and it does great on the highway and dirt. Plenty of power and the 6spd does great at higher speeds and it rides 2up fine too. the seat hight stock is a little over 35" and with the seat I have on it now it is a little over 36". You need the ground clearance that is why the seat height is up there. Nothing is more fun than riding in the dirt :)

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Dirt Bikes : 2009 dirtbike going cheap

Anyone have any opnions on this thing? Looks clean but also a very dodge make?

You certainly can't beat the price but can you easily find parts for it. And I would get a knobby front tyre for it. Some of the chinese bike are pretty good they seem to rip off the Japanese bikes design.

I'm a KTM fan but you won't find one for what you want to spend. If you can find a old KDX 200/220 or XR 250 they are good for all level riders.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I met a guy once that had a Sukida, he was pretty happy with it. Having an electric start AND a kick start is also nice.

X2 on making sure parts are available, you will be replacing some but that's to be expected.

discobiscuit

Reaction score
Visit site
If your looking for something to goof off on there is nothing more fun than a pit bike. I have owned 2 125cc pitbikes and a modified Kawasaki KLX110.
Granted, the chinese cheap-o bikes are not going to last forever but they are inexpensive and fun to beat the snot out of. The chinese bikes are just a beefed up Honda CRF50. The frame is stretched 2", disc brakes, the front and rear suspension is taller and can handle the weight of an adult and the wheel size is increased. As stated in the previous postings, they are toys and usually poor quality. The parts are super easy to find, ebay will be your best friend. I took a quick look at the ebay listing and noticed a few things to stay away from, I would keep looking. First try and find a pitbike to take a spin on and see if a fun toy is what you want.
During the winter we travel to different MX tracks and always tear up the kids tracks on our pit bikes, by far the most fun we have. The attached pic is our collection from last year, the first 2 are chinese imports, followed by a Kawasaki KLX 110 and a Kawasaki KLX 110L and then 2 Honda CRF250R's.
Now, if you want to take things more serious with a proper dirt bike you are looking at a completely different budget.
I started off with a well maintained 2 stroke for a great price, as I realized it was a sport I wanted to take more serious I sold and bought and upgraded as I could afford better bikes. Find yourself a nice bike that fits your needs and rip it, when your ready to upgrade sell it and invest in something better.