Dilemma... Advice??

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright this will probably be a pretty long post so here we go...

I'm currently working for a company in carson city. I have been there for 6 months now. I'm doing tig welding on cast stainless aircraft and nuclear power plant parts. I'm getting paid very poor as far as a tig welding job goes.

The people I work with are fine. Company is good. Full benefits, the whole deal.

I started working there on swing shift. 330 to midnight. After a few months of that, I was offered a dayshift position in our machine shop down the street. Being extremely tired of swingshift I jumped on the opportunity.

I have been down there for a few weeks now, things are going good when... Today I was told by my boss that I have to go back to swing shift back up the street for "3 weeks tops". but we all know how that goes. Needless to say I am very angry about the whole situation. Its all politics and bull. Have to have all kinds of approvals and audits until we can get the shop running again.

So I had already been considering looking elsewhere for work, but with the way the economy is going, and it being winter, its hard to find a job right now. At my current job I have too much work, I literally work as much as I possibly could and never run out.

I may have a couple opportunities to take tig welding/ fab jobs. They would definitely pay much better, at least a 50 percent increase. They would be more of what I would enjoy doing, and more of a challenge.

So heres my dilemma, should I just stick it out with my current job where I know I'll have work no matter what the economy does or take a better job with higher pay that I would enjoy but with the risk of losing it if things slow down??

Oh yeah one other thing, the one that I really want is in Huntington Beach so I could ride year round!!

Anyways if you have any thoughts or suggestions go for it!!

Thanks.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
In all honesty, I'd keep the secure job right now even if the pay isn't competitive. There are very few companies out there hiring right now and you don't want to be the new guy at a company right now --> first to get laid off. I'd stick it out on swing shift while exploring other employment opportunities in the Spring when you know the job market in your area will pick up.

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
In all honesty, I'd keep the secure job right now even if the pay isn't competitive. There are very few companies out there hiring right now and you don't want to be the new guy at a company right now --> first to get laid off. I'd stick it out on swing shift while exploring other employment opportunities in the Spring when you know the job market in your area will pick up.

+1 Agreed. You can't put a price on stability right now.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree , stay put mate.I was offered a job with more money recently but all their work is contract and could be taken away instantly, where the company I,m with now ,and have been for nearly 10 years , owns their own product,so I stayed.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like everyone's already said... stay put.

The economy is going to get much much worse :-/ certainly not the time to be without a job or in a sketchy situation. You may not be getting paid what yuo deserve right now but it seems like that's the situation across the board.

Friend of mine had her hours cut back (4 days a week instead of 5)... then the company she works for said "hey... actually come back and work 5 days a week again, but we're going to pay you what you were making by working 4 days a week"

It sucks for her but what's her other choice? Another friend lost her job, a family member of mine lost his job with a company he'd been working at for over 30 years. A lot of people are facing similar problems. :(