Different radiator fan design?

Lemon

Reaction score
Visit site
I seem to have made another mistake. I got a 2006 radiator fan thinking that it would fit on a 2007. Well the only thing that is preventing it from fitting is the bracket that holds the fan in place. The 2006 bracket has slightly different dimensions and doesnt seem to want to fit on the 2007 radiator mounts...

I'm not sure what to do besides buy a 2006 radiator or give up and head to the dealership to get everything back to normal...

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Same thing happen to me as well when I first got my bike. It took two fuses to figure out the fan was jammed. :) Interesting part is fan burned out before the fuse blew which sort of beats the purpose of having the fuse IMO. It took three weeks for the dealer to fix it under warranty. I am going to have to create one of these thingies TownsendsFJR1300 designed. Very cool idea.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, brothers!

Same thing happened to me on my '07 last summer.

The real design issue here isn't the space between the shroud and the fan blades, or placing a blocking plate underneath the shroud. It's: Why is the motor fan burning out before the fuze does?!?!?

Yamaha screwed up on this one.

Does any other things run off that same fuse, thus it being larger than it should be? I agree, it should have blow before frying the fan motor...

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Fitting a Fenda Extenda will help a lot with stuff getting flung up by the front wheel. It definitely stops water etc hitting the engine/headers. I've got details of mine on my website link below.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fitting a Fenda Extenda will help a lot with stuff getting flung up by the front wheel. It definitely stops water etc hitting the engine/headers. I've got details of mine on my website link below.

I have the Fenda Extender on my FJR, a very good product, fits like a glove. I glued mine on instead of bolting it for a cleaner look. Works as advertised. I don't knok how far down it would reach to protect the radiator. The FJR has plastic on the lower end.. Certainly couldn't hurt...

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Same thing happen to me as well when I first got my bike. It took two fuses to figure out the fan was jammed. :) Interesting part is fan burned out before the fuse blew which sort of beats the purpose of having the fuse IMO. It took three weeks for the dealer to fix it under warranty. I am going to have to create one of these thingies TownsendsFJR1300 designed. Very cool idea.

The electrical design of this fan, is not appropriate for the use..... Delta, Sunon, and many other fan mfgs make fan designs that are fused to prevent failure when the rotor locks. The fan Yamaha has selected for this application has no locked rotor protection. That's pretty bad. A proper fan should cost just a few cents more.....

The designs fall into a couple of different categories. One, the rotor 'lock' blows an internal fuse on the fan's internal circuit board. The better design uses a fuse that 'heals' after the locking condition is removed. More like a circuit breaker.

The fuse on the wiring harness isn't able to react quickly enough to protect the fan.... it's there to protect the bike's wiring rather than the fan itself.

Lemon

Reaction score
Visit site
The electrical design of this fan, is not appropriate for the use..... Delta, Sunon, and many other fan mfgs make fan designs that are fused to prevent failure when the rotor locks. The fan Yamaha has selected for this application has no locked rotor protection. That's pretty bad. A proper fan should cost just a few cents more.....

The designs fall into a couple of different categories. One, the rotor 'lock' blows an internal fuse on the fan's internal circuit board. The better design uses a fuse that 'heals' after the locking condition is removed. More like a circuit breaker.

The fuse on the wiring harness isn't able to react quickly enough to protect the fan.... it's there to protect the bike's wiring rather than the fan itself.

Are there other manufacturers/OEM/aftermarket solutions that have fans with these features that would fit a 2007 FZ6?

Lemon

Reaction score
Visit site
So this weekend i worked on a solution. I had this the 2006 radiator fan but saw that the mounting plate wouldn't fit a 2007 model. So i made it work. I took off the 2006 mount from the 2006 radiator fan and then welded the 2007 mount to the 2006 fan. I used a few washers, some plastic spacers to move the fan out from the radiator so it wouldn't touch the radiator. I spiced the wires together (instead of taking the whole bike apart) and once assembled all worked without any problems. Fan comes on at about 210 degrees.

I also made a larger fan guard at the base of the fan. Consisted of a piece of 1" wide steel plate with steal washers welded to the areas where the bolts screw into the radiator fan brackets. Allows for easy removal of the guard. This should deflect any incoming pebbles.

I painted it all black and it looks very clean. You can hardly tell that it is there unless you stick your head into the radiator area. Here are some pictures. Sorry i didnt take any while the radiator and fan were off the bike or being made. I had to get it on my bike to get out and ride...

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Are there other manufacturers/OEM/aftermarket solutions that have fans with these features that would fit a 2007 FZ6?

The things I know are not enough to suggest a replacement with the proper features. Can you provide a picture of the fan that you removed? Particularly the labels on the motor housing.

All I know at this point is that it's a 12v Design, and we can work out the diameter. I'd need to know the CFM it needs to move, and whether the bike monitors the action of the fan. Seems like it's a simple on/off max RPM set up.

What is the fuse rating applied to this circuit?

We can estimate the working current as somewhere around 80% of that fuse rating. There's quite a few fan mfgs out there. Even the same one who supplies Yamaha directly, probably builds exactly the same fan with the appropriate protection features added on.

Last edited:

FZMark

Reaction score
Visit site
Same problem here, found the stone took it out. Then noticed that fan wouldn't come on like normal. Didn't link the two events till some time later but yeah now I'm getting it fixed. Tell you parts in Australia are expensive.