Difference in models?

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard little bits here and there and have been going over my manual a bit trying to find out what the difference is in all the fz6 models.

So far, all I can tell is that the California version (who's number ends in C) has more stuff on it for emissions.

My own documents are a bit conflicted. One says FZS6XB and another says FZS6XL and the model number on my manual is FZS6X(C).

Is there a better way to tell which one is the one I have?

I wonder if I did somehow wind up with the CA model (which doesn't make sense because I'm in IL and the bike was transfered to my dealer from TN)

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
My manual also says FZS6X(C). I haven't checked my other documents to see if they match. Would the model be on the VIN sticker?

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
The HAYNES manual has a really good section that describes the differences between the '04 and '07 models (S and S2). There's also more explanations for the N (naked) models and ABS ones (A).

There's many details to go through, so I'll simply say the big words:

THROTTLE BODIES
SWINGARM
FRONT BRAKES
FRONT FORKS
PASSENGER FOOTRESTS REMOVABLE (S2)
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
FUEL INJECTION CPU REMAPPED
FORWARD COOLANT RESERVOIR STANDARD
O2 SENSOR HONEYCOMB CATALYSER MATRIX
SPECIAL BOLTS IN ENGINE
NEW SEAT FOR S2
BODYWORK
COLORS

-This list doesn't include differences in HEIGHT, WEIGHT, TIRES or FUEL CONSUMPTION.

Raid has a FZS6V (49 States). If he lived in Europe, he could've bought a FZ6SV, FZ6SAV, FZ6NV or FZ6NAV.

A = ABS
N = Naked
C = California Emission Standard Model
S = 04 - 06 (Standard)
S2 (W or X) = 07 - 08 model

Essentially, if you live in Europe, you can choose to buy a Naked and/or ABS FZ6. Some European models didn't come equipped with a center stand (2004 Naked models being one of them).

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The HAYNES manual has a really good section that describes the differences between the '04 and '07 models (S and S2). There's also more explanations for the N (naked) models and ABS ones (A).

There's many details to go through, so I'll simply say the big words:

THROTTLE BODIES
SWINGARM
FRONT BRAKES
FRONT FORKS
PASSENGER FOOTRESTS REMOVABLE (S2)
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
FUEL INJECTION CPU REMAPPED
FORWARD COOLANT RESERVOIR STANDARD
O2 SENSOR HONEYCOMB CATALYSER MATRIX
SPECIAL BOLTS IN ENGINE
NEW SEAT FOR S2
BODYWORK
COLORS

-This list doesn't include differences in HEIGHT, WEIGHT, TIRES or FUEL CONSUMPTION.

Raid has a FZS6V (49 States). If he lived in Europe, he could've bought a FZ6SV, FZ6SAV, FZ6NV or FZ6NAV.

A = ABS
N = Naked
C = California Emission Standard Model
S = 04 - 06 (Standard)
S2 (W or X) = 07 - 08 model

Essentially, if you live in Europe, you can choose to buy a Naked and/or ABS FZ6. Some European models didn't come equipped with a center stand (2004 Naked models being one of them).
Hi Elm,
Thanks for the explanation, Please can you post the ISBN number of the manual. I am finding it harder to locate than Rocky Marciano's millions.

Nelly

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused of the reason for the two images posted? Are you thinking the canister [oil cooler] you are focused on is model/location specific?

Someone posted a pic of their raven with a silver canister on the front of the engine saying that it's a catalytic converter that only the CA models have.

Once I posted the pic of mine, I found that post was gone. :confused:

So, are you saying that this silver thing in the picture isn't actually a Cat but an oil cooler?

EDIT: Spelling

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone posted a pic of their raven with a silver canister on the front of the engine saying that it's a catalytic converter that only the CA models have.

Once I posted the pic of mine, I found that post was gone. :confused:

So, are you saying that this silver thing in the picture isn't actually a Cat but an oil cooler?

EDIT: Spelling

Yep, thats the oil cooler.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, that's a bit of a relief, but my sales documents still are misleading as to which I have.

As long as it's not the CA model I'm not worried but I think it'd be better to know in case I need it later.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's usually a bit of a decrease in performance when you add more emissions equipment. So I'm told. I'm not an expert on that sort of thing.

Aside from that, I just prefer to do without it because of a recent bad experience I had with emissions testing for my cage. And as long as it's not required by law here, I don't see much sense in it.

Last edited: