Did Yamaha ever offer a black tank for our bikes?

p-dawger

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I might go from blue to black and wanted to know if there was an OEM blank tank out there from one of the FZ6 years...?

If not would an FZ1 tank work or and FZ6R - if they came in black?

Or am I SOL?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site

p-dawger

Reaction score
Visit site

Not saying you are wrong but I think the color (black metallic) could be referencing the plastics. The tanks on the 2008 or 2009 that I have googled look dark blue...

I could not find a pic of a black tank on a bike that was offered from Yamaha OEM...again I could be wrong...

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not saying you are wrong but I think the color (black metallic) could be referencing the plastics. The tanks on the 2008 or 2009 that I have googled look dark blue...

I could not find a pic of a black tank on a bike that was offered from Yamaha OEM...again I could be wrong...

2009 FZ6, Black (Raven):
2009-Yamaha-FZ6.jpg

2009 FZ6, Dark Blue (Deep Blue):
2009-Yamaha-FZ6e.jpg

Given the prices of new, or gently used, components; you would probably be better off having your parts painted. I know that there are a number of people on the forum that have done this; they may be able to provide some input on the costs.

Last edited:

p-dawger

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL Skooter65...you are probably laughing your ass off at me....can't track a package, can't figure out colors for a bike ;-)

Thanks -

One more question - that tanks says when I go to order that it is CA edition...I assume California...is that for emissions, or more importantly does the tank matter...(I am east coast)

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL Skooter65...you are probably laughing your ass off at me....can't track a package, can't figure out colors for a bike ;-)

Thanks -

One more question - that tanks says when I go to order that it is CA edition...I assume California...is that for emissions, or more importantly does the tank matter...(I am east coast)

Only laughing a little ;) Hey, for all I know, you could actually be colorblind: "They are all gray, light-gray, dark-gray, and darker gray"

The "FOR CAL" only relates to an additional component to help reduce emissions. Otherwise, All years are interchangeable.

Not sure where you are looking for parts but these guys have the best prices that I have found on the net: Metric Parts Outlets' 2009 Yamaha Street Bike FZ6 Parts List

*Edit: I stand Corrected; it appears that Stadium Yamaha has significantly lower prices on the tank...Interesting.

Last edited:

p-dawger

Reaction score
Visit site
Only laughing a little ;) Hey, for all I know, you could actually be colorblind: "They are all gray, light-gray, dark-gray, and darker gray"

The "FOR CAL" only relates to an additional component to help reduce emissions. Otherwise, All years are interchangeable.

Not sure where you are looking for parts but these guys have the best prices that I have found on the net: Metric Parts Outlets' 2009 Yamaha Street Bike FZ6 Parts List

*Edit: I stand Corrected; it appears that Stadium Yamaha has significantly lower prices on the tank...Interesting.

HA - yeah not colorblind...just apparently really slow... So I got an estimate for painting the tank which was around $250 - prolly more like $275 out the door for a good quality job - tank is about 450 with shipping...figure I can get 2 bills for my pristine blue tank...so I call it close to a wash.

That leaves the plastics...found a front fender cheap, side pods are minimal...just need the grab handles and that is it.

My frame is silver w/silver wheels. I got an 07 black swingarm so I am on the fence about leaving it black and painting the front forks black to match and keep the everything else silver...except the wheels - likely black or gunmetal...

Anybody got any pics of all black on silver?

So Skooter what do you think about that....and oh yeah who really killed Kennedy and where are the two chicks that are missing in Aruba?

Thanks again...

PS- got any hedgefund advice?

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
HA - yeah not colorblind...just apparently really slow... So I got an estimate for painting the tank which was around $250 - prolly more like $275 out the door for a good quality job - tank is about 450 with shipping...figure I can get 2 bills for my pristine blue tank...so I call it close to a wash.

That leaves the plastics...found a front fender cheap, side pods are minimal...just need the grab handles and that is it.

My frame is silver w/silver wheels. I got an 07 black swingarm so I am on the fence about leaving it black and painting the front forks black to match and keep the everything else silver...except the wheels - likely black or gunmetal...

Anybody got any pics of all black on silver?

So Skooter what do you think about that....and oh yeah who really killed Kennedy and where are the two chicks that are missing in Aruba?

Thanks again...

PS- got any hedgefund advice?

First; why paint the forks when I have an excellent used set from an 07' that would go very nicely with your 07' swing-arm (Yes, I am shamelessly plugging)

Black on Silver Photo:
pic_L_silver_black.jpg

*This will teach you to be specific next time :)

Kennedy assassination was done by amabO kcaraB tnediserP...I Had to put this in code so that only a crypotologist could decipher.

Still working on the Aruba abduction.

Leave your hedgefunds alone or they won't grow ;)

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Kennedy assassination was done by amabO kcaraB tnediserP...I Had to put this in code so that only a crypotologist could decipher.

President Osama Binladen,:banghead: I mean Barak Obama

and on the HEDGEfund quality slow release 16-16-16 fertilizer and appropriate water. Spent last 7 years in landscaping.:thumbup:

p-dawger

Reaction score
Visit site
First; why paint the forks when I have an excellent used set from an 07' that would go very nicely with your 07' swing-arm (Yes, I am shamelessly plugging)

Black on Silver Photo:
pic_L_silver_black.jpg

*This will teach you to be specific next time :)

Still working on the Aruba abduction.

Nice!...I just did my forks with the race-tech etc...I think an 05 to 07 fork mod is alot of work? Anyway got pics...any scratches?

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice!...I just did my forks with the race-tech etc...I think an 05 to 07 fork mod is alot of work? Anyway got pics...any scratches?

How did the race-techs treat you??

The 05' to 07' is a straight bolt-on swap. Simply drop the 05' forks out of the triple and insert the 07's. The sale also includes the upgraded calipers which are not interchangeable between the years. Check them out: http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/38776-f-s-2007-front-fork-caliper-set.html

The only thing that you would need is an 07' fender which, if you are switching colors to black, would have been on the docket anyway!

p-dawger

Reaction score
Visit site
How did the race-techs treat you??

The 05' to 07' is a straight bolt-on swap. Simply drop the 05' forks out of the triple and insert the 07's. The sale also includes the upgraded calipers which are not interchangeable between the years. Check them out: http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/38776-f-s-2007-front-fork-caliper-set.html

The only thing that you would need is an 07' fender which, if you are switching colors to black, would have been on the docket anyway!

Decisions decisions...

Race tech's are a great mod...I have an Ohlin's rear, gave them my specs, weight with gear on etc and they setup the forks for me. Probably the single best mod I have made to the bike...suspension.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
mine's an 06 model, with black frame and engine, and black tank, maybe european bikes came in different colours?