Did some work.......

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally got my fan in the mail tuesday and put it in Wed. Flushed out the coolant and replaced it. One thing I really didnt like was my airbox IDK if some of you guys have ever seen it but there is a tiny little rectangle that leads down than shoots the air right at the filter through another rectangle. Kinda looked like my engine was breathing through a straw... So in all my noob genius I decided to cut out the tube in the air box and just make the rectangle at the top the resistance for air flow besides the filter... And wow what a difference it made. Keeping the paper filter and just cutting the box so it still has to pass through the filter I felt a whole new amout of torque from the 1000-8000 rpm range and it sounds better too. Shes like a whole new monster at low rpm's. Above 8000 I didnt really notice a difference in power or torque just the sound is more aggressive. Then I went back in and changed my paper filter to a K&N air filter and I cant help but get on the throttle any chance I get....BIG TIME difference in power my baby can breathe.... I will put up some pictures eventually when I figure out how to. -Matt

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
It would be interesting to know what difference your mod made for gas mileage over a couple tanks compared to before. Since you report it runs more freely/better the injection feedback must have made up the difference. Why would Yamaha restrict the flow? Maybe for noise is all I can think of.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Neat!

Looking forward to some pic's of the mod!:thumbup:

BTW, was the coolant nasty? The temps staying pretty even now?

I noticed, (more so on my old FJR), with a coolant change, the bike cooled down slightly faster than with the old coolant...

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
Neat!

Looking forward to some pic's of the mod!:thumbup:

BTW, was the coolant nasty? The temps staying pretty even now?

I noticed, (more so on my old FJR), with a coolant change, the bike cooled down slightly faster than with the old coolant...

Yeah the coolant smelled a little burned and was slightly discolored. But now that I changed it out I have noticed that she warms up a little faster but but stays in the 160-190 deg F range depending on how long im sitting. Right now its cold here in AZ so once I start moving she cools right down..Not looking forward to the summer :( -Matt

tdbill

Reaction score
Visit site
You should definitely snap some pics!

Why would Yamaha restrict the flow? Maybe for noise is all I can think of.

Noise, emissions, cost, too much saki... Trying to second guess an engineer will make your head hurt (sometimes knowing the real reason they did something, will make it even worse!).

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally got my fan in the mail tuesday and put it in Wed. Flushed out the coolant and replaced it. One thing I really didnt like was my airbox IDK if some of you guys have ever seen it but there is a tiny little rectangle that leads down than shoots the air right at the filter through another rectangle. Kinda looked like my engine was breathing through a straw... So in all my noob genius I decided to cut out the tube in the air box and just make the rectangle at the top the resistance for air flow besides the filter... And wow what a difference it made. Keeping the paper filter and just cutting the box so it still has to pass through the filter I felt a whole new amout of torque from the 1000-8000 rpm range and it sounds better too. Shes like a whole new monster at low rpm's. Above 8000 I didnt really notice a difference in power or torque just the sound is more aggressive. Then I went back in and changed my paper filter to a K&N air filter and I cant help but get on the throttle any chance I get....BIG TIME difference in power my baby can breathe.... I will put up some pictures eventually when I figure out how to. -Matt

Are you going to do a Power Commander (Juice Box Pro)?

The reason I ask is I spoke with the Two Brothers customer service manager for about 30 minutes on the effects of modding the intake and exhaust systems. He said the safest mod is to do a slip on, no real change that could potentially damage the engine. He said if you do anything to improve the intake whether by installing a K&N (similar air filter) or an airbox mod that you should definitely do a Power Commander/Juice Box Pro. He said that the increased air flow will cause the bike to run lean (that's why you feel the snappier throttle response down low) but in time he said it can lead to all kinds of problems (valves, cylinders, plugs). The Power Commander properly tuned will help balance the fuel/air issue out. The guys at Apache Motorcycle had said the same thing to me before I even talked to the Two Brothers guys. They said all the bikes that they see with major mechanical issues have been modded. The stockers they said, just need oil changes and tuneups then the bike runs forever. This is what stopped me from modding my bike, when a group of guys that would have made a few hundred dollars off a noob tell them not to do something, I listen.

Glad you're happy with the bike, but worth checking into a fuel system manager for the longevity of the bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the coolant smelled a little burned and was slightly discolored. But now that I changed it out I have noticed that she warms up a little faster but but stays in the 160-190 deg F range depending on how long im sitting. Right now its cold here in AZ so once I start moving she cools right down..Not looking forward to the summer :( -Matt

Well, I'm in SW Florida and have the humidity to deal with too besides low 90's in the summer. Its very rare my temps even hit 190F in the summer. Right now, 70's during the day, temp's stay between 165 and 180. I don't do much sitting in city traffic (I have my shortcuts). I don't think my fan has ever turned on since I've owned it. On chilly days, (below 60F) it'll stay right at 160 until I stop. I know the fan does work as the original owner, when learning to ride it (especially with the clutch throw), exercised the fan a bunch!

Keeping the coolant changed as specified has many benefits (and its easy enough to do)...

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you going to do a Power Commander (Juice Box Pro)?

The reason I ask is I spoke with the Two Brothers customer service manager for about 30 minutes on the effects of modding the intake and exhaust systems. He said the safest mod is to do a slip on, no real change that could potentially damage the engine. He said if you do anything to improve the intake whether by installing a K&N (similar air filter) or an airbox mod that you should definitely do a Power Commander/Juice Box Pro. He said that the increased air flow will cause the bike to run lean (that's why you feel the snappier throttle response down low) but in time he said it can lead to all kinds of problems (valves, cylinders, plugs). The Power Commander properly tuned will help balance the fuel/air issue out. The guys at Apache Motorcycle had said the same thing to me before I even talked to the Two Brothers guys. They said all the bikes that they see with major mechanical issues have been modded. The stockers they said, just need oil changes and tuneups then the bike runs forever. This is what stopped me from modding my bike, when a group of guys that would have made a few hundred dollars off a noob tell them not to do something, I listen.

Glad you're happy with the bike, but worth checking into a fuel system manager for the longevity of the bike.

Yeah I was reading into that as well about a power commander. Im not sure if I should wait till I get my exhaust (thinking Leo Vince) or if i should just get it now. Will Apache motorcycles tune it and install it for me? -Matt

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I gather the airbox design had to do with resonant airbox stuff. The gist is that pressure fluctuates rapidly in an airbox (there isn't constant suction from the cylinders) kind of like sound waves. So when the freq of the pressure changes hits the resonant frequency (like opera singers and wine glasses, lol) the restriction on air flow hits zero effectively. So engineers can "tune" the airbox to help when the engine is struggling the most. Smooth out a flat spot, as it were.

So it won't hurt it. You might have more power down low, but you probably lost it somewhere else. A power commander can help smooth the new flat spot back out, at a cost of increased fuel consumption.

Some people get butt hurt about it, like you're gonna destory the engine doing that or something. If you're just running a tad lean, then it's not gonna cause a huge issue. But shoot, decat the bike, add some slip-ons, put a KN in there, and get your PC custom dyno tuned, and you might make as much as 10 more hp. Then you'll really have the extra ooph to go along with the new intake sound. lol

And if your dyno guy is good, you might even get better gas milage after doing all that.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm kinda torn between places to do the Dynotune. Apache Motorcycle in Scottsdale doesn't have one, I don't know about the Mesa location.

I've talked to 2 shops.

GoAZ is big and corporate with a lot of stuff. I believe they said their DynoTune is I think they said $250. The sales guy raced dirt mx, and was going on and on about the head mechanic being something like the only Dynotuned certified mechanic or dyno-station in AZ or something. And he also listed off all these racers that had their bikes tuned by this mechanic. He did say something like he only does 2 or 3 maps or something specific to the bike so that you can have a street and track day setting and then they start charging you for additional maps.

DTR Motorsports
I was out riding one Sunday and found these guys up off Cave Creek Road. Dustin is the shop owner and he said it's $350 for a Dynotune. He also said he has some type of special Ducati certification and they are Racetech certified installers. Dustin personally setup my stock suspension for $30 on the spot and it was amazing when it was done. I trust the guy but may have to beat him down on the price for the Dyno.

I'm personally waiting a good 6-8 months to go for the PC because I've already got enough go power with the Fz1. The only reason I may do it sooner is I kind of want to get setup with an economy map for commuting, a canyon carver map, and a track map. We'll see. I need to do my slip on first, then new Rad Guard and protector and then new tires and put them on to my new black rims.

Youtube Dustin Apgar from DTR Motorsports and watch him drag his helmet on the track. The dude is crazy but has a lot of bike experience.