Desert Season is Open - Street Riders Beware

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Mostly for So. Cal people, but thought it would be a good reminder for everyone.

Desert season is officially on and the masses are making their way out to our deserts every weekend, myself included. So why should street riders beware? Because there's a lot of people in very large rigs and or towing trailers of all shapes and sizes.

Often these large rigs cross the double yellow and on our twisty roads heading out to the desert, this can be a major problem for street riders. So keep an eye out when on roads like Montezuma, Hwy 78, Hwy 76, and Banner.

This was posted on another forum:

Im not sure where to post this, im not on here much.

Today i headed out for a ride, just wondering... no where to be. probably 3ish I was ridin west on the S22 going up the montezuma grade. Traffic was a total bitch, backed almost to the bottom, slowly working my way up, on the shoulder and with traffic was taking forever.

About half way up i found out why. By the looks of it a female rider on a 07 blue/silver was coming down the mt and a toy hauler was going up. They hit each other head on. All i could see for the rider was she was female and had brown hair, wearing jeans. I didnt see a helmet. the bike was toast.

I ride this grade a lot, and the trailers are a total pain, coming over the line. I dont know if it was rider error or the other driver. Sad sight to see though.

R>I>P> Oct. 08. 2009.

Be safe everyone.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mostly for So. Cal people, but thought it would be a good reminder for everyone.

Desert season is officially on and the masses are making their way out to our deserts every weekend, myself included. So why should street riders beware? Because there's a lot of people in very large rigs and or towing trailers of all shapes and sizes.

Often these large rigs cross the double yellow and on our twisty roads heading out to the desert, this can be a major problem for street riders. So keep an eye out when on roads like Montezuma, Hwy 78, Hwy 76, and Banner.

This was posted on another forum:

Be safe everyone.

Thanks man and you know me these days. I'm out there all the time! It's so close to me. I call it my back yard. Yeah it gets really busy out there in the winter season with toy haulers etc. It's nothing but tribes out there. It becomes like wagon train camps except it's duelly's trailers and toys and they'll play till 4 in the morning! Yeeeeee Haaaaa! It turns into Yahooteeville. The thing I really like about it is seeing families, friends, dads, moms and kids doing things together. I'll be out there camping with my baby and off roading very soon.:rockon:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Going up Banner Grade the other day a thought passed through my mind. A few of those curves don't have much leeway for you if, say, a large truck pulling a camper were to cross the yellow. And now that you report that Desert Season is in effect, that scenario is a likely reality. Thanks for the heads-up!

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know. I'm hoping to be out in Glamis next weekend, I'll make me sure me and my buddy don't add to this!