Demo video on ABS braking on a motorcycle

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
A false sense of security comes to mind. I'm sure they do what is intended but you still need to ride for the conditions.

In the video I felt the rider on the non-ABS bike made no attempt to control the bike. Take the training wheels off and place a [last minute] landmine at the end and see how well he stops. :)

zuull

Reaction score
Visit site
Put Me in the "I Wish I had ABS Column".
I have had the rear wheel try to come around
to pass the front when panic braking on wet road.
It's worth the $500-$1000 dollar option to me.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to zuull.. I have ABS on my FJR-love it. When riding the FZ I just do not use the rear brake at speed. A drum brake on the rear would be better for not locking up so easily.

I try to pratice hard front braking only every ride.

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
I'l have to find the article when I get home (out of town atm). It was a rather well done test of several different bikes with and without ABS with 5 different riders ranging from 50K racers to >1k newbies. Article was from 93-95 if I recall correctly, but it still made some valid points. Under optimal conditions an experienced rider can stop faster without ABS, but only by about 5-10%. They defined optimal conditions as warm tires and dry, good condition pavement. Under any other testing conditions the ABS almost halved the stopping distance. The "experienced" riders were quoted to be amazed at exactly how much traction was actually available in poor conditions that the ABS took 100% advantage of.

Edit, yay google! Found it:
Sep 1992
http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/abstests.html

Last edited:

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
ill rather have my bikes with abs. Its a good safety feature worth paying for. As they say,prevention is better than cure.

too bad my local dealer dont sell 1 with abs

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
A false sense of security comes to mind. I'm sure they do what is intended but you still need to ride for the conditions.

In the video I felt the rider on the non-ABS bike made no attempt to control the bike. Take the training wheels off and place a [last minute] landmine at the end and see how well he stops. :)

So following this line of thinking, I hereby suggest that we all starting now, stop using helmets, glowes, and any kind of padding. Also everyone should dismount their frame sliders !!!!!
"COZ REAL BIKE RIDERS NEWER MAKES MISTAKES!!!!"

:spank:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So we should not buy cars with airbags, just to feel unsafe and drive in a more conservative way? What you say about riding in a more carefree way does make sense, but I would still pick an ABS bike over one that doesn't have one on any given day. If you intend to drive in bad conditions (i.e. loose surface roads and ice) you can disable it by taking a fuse out. Simple, really.
I don't think BM is trying to say remove all safety features.
He is just making the point that technology may decrease the overall basic skills required.
To operate a vehicle.

For me, I will get ABS on my next bike and to turn BM's point around slightly.
I have spent ages teaching myself to not grab a handful and to be light on the rear brake whilst increasing pressure.
With ABS one of the things you are not meant to do is release the brakes until you are stopped.
This would take a little re-learning for some riders.

Nelly

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do not think that this is a true reflection of what would happen.

I am not saying that ABS is not better, it is.

But it is easy to over exaggerate the braking without ABS just to prove a point.

Steve

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'l have to find the article when I get home (out of town atm). It was a rather well done test of several different bikes with and without ABS with 5 different riders ranging from 50K racers to >1k newbies. Article was from 93-95 if I recall correctly, but it still made some valid points. Under optimal conditions an experienced rider can stop faster without ABS, but only by about 5-10%. They defined optimal conditions as warm tires and dry, good condition pavement. Under any other testing conditions the ABS almost halved the stopping distance. The \\"experienced\\" riders were quoted to be amazed at exactly how much traction was actually available in poor conditions that the ABS took 100% advantage of.

Edit, yay google! Found it:
Sep 1992
Internet BMW Riders - No Fault Braking, A Real-World Comparison of ABS Systems
I will read the article thanks.

Nelly

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The same reason many of the cars offered in the US come equipped with super high gas mileage engines everywhere but here...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I cant stop laughing ahahahahahhahahahaha ahahahahahahah lmfao:BLAA::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks...amazing.

Somebody send me ABS upgrade for my bike please :p that would be well worth the money in my opinion. My biggest riding fear is that somebody will pop out in front of me and I won't be able to stop in time, or will grab a hand full of brake and go tumbling.

Mud