Decat...power increase.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
i also gutted my cat and drilled little holes in the baffles , after that i threw it in the garbage and had to spend money to get the parts again , nothing was gained and it sounded crappy , and it ran crappy with gutted cat too.
i imagine your air box mod probably added more whistle while it destroyed the bikes proper air intake requirement .

if you can not mod the bike with high end parts , properly, dont think by punching holes and cutting things will gain anything .
everyone would be doing it if it was good, you will lose performance .my stock fz6 will smoke any of your ghetto modded fz6's any day :D

im sorry but you have been told wrong, and really dont understand how a engine works. first theres is 0 difference between a decat pipe and a gutted cat, 0. is there a big gain from doing that alone...no. drilling holes in the exhaust wont do anything but change the sound of the bike some people like it and some dont, like you. i never drilled mine but i made my own exhaust, why dont everyone make there own exhaust...becasue they cant, and the few that could have done so and do so on a kickarse level. the air box mod....really, half the forum members on here has it becasue it works and its free, dont beleive me look up airbox mod dyno runs. it works simple try running a marathon breathing through a snorkle and see how fast you can go, for the bike its the same thing, the engine is really just a air pump the faster you can get air in and out the better it will run, and wether you beleive it or not my bike is moving some air on "ghetto mods" and havent met a fz6 yet who can keep up in a straight, and theres some guys on here who can attest to that. so in a long story its better to be thought of as a idiot then to open your mouth and prove it....read up and learn up and if your ever in the south ill give you a nice view of my "ghetto" exhaust till you can no longer see it only hear it......

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Man! Are we going to have a Pi55ing contest?!?! Where's my box of......oh here it is..:popcorn: and ....wait a minute.......ah! glug glug glug ahhh! :iconbeer: That's better!
Ready...set.....Go! :rof:

I do agree the dyno will tell you something...:D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I take offense to someone calling my blood sweat and tears "ghetto"

I like ghetto when it's done right! Actually, Ghetto done wrong has provided me with some great entertainment. I have nothing bad to say about home made! I've seen off the charts talent and performance from ghetto or home made on this forum not to mention the self servicing and sharing of experience.

As you stated you were looking for sound....

D

Dave.TX

Proper air requirement... The previous owner of my bike did the airbox mod. It doesn't whistle. I do hear more of a roar from the intake when twisting the throttle. The stock system is set up to be very quiet. I don't believe the cat is restrictive, just the stock intake and muffler and only at higher rev's. Yamaha designed a gem of a motorcycle that few appreciate (outside anyone that's ridden one).

Like anything else we have we "mod" them to our liking. Since you may not mod yours the same way someone else might don't look down or trash the other person or their bike. ChevyFazer has done a lot of his own work, some of it I like and some I don't, but it's his bike and not mine. I'm sure he would like some things and not others about mine but it's my bike and not his. Can everyone afford a $500 exhaust system? That's where ingenuity kicks in. Let's stick to the topic of the thread.

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like Yammie did the homework to make it "sound good" to start with lol

Engine:
Super-light and compact YZF-R6-based engine is tuned for enhanced midrange performance as well as strong rev-ability.
Cams and intake tracts are designed to produce maximum torque at 10,000 rpm, maximum power at 12,000 rpm.
Group fuel injection combines simplicity with excellent response and performance.
Powerful 32-bit processor and 4-jet bi-directional injectors negate the need for the R6’s suction-piston vacuum assist system and is 75% lighter.
Six-speed gearbox with triangulated input and output shafts, heavy-duty clutch and through-the-frame shifter for years of precise, positive shifting.
Stainless steel underseat exhaust system with heat shield looks cool and doesn’t interfere with passengers or luggage.
Acoustic analysis of the downdraft intake tract and exhaust produce a bike that sounds as cool as it looks.
Large radiator with ring-type fan for excellent cooling capacity.
Yamaha Air Induction System, along with a metal honeycomb type catalytic converter, let the FZ6 pass strict EU2 and CARB emissions standards.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol what that actually said was

acoustical analysis on the downdraft intake and exhaust produce a bike that is 100% noise emmision legal all over the world

geo999

Reaction score
Visit site
hello people,

these days I was reading the decat threads in search of an increase in power and/or mpg for my s1 fz6.
after going through the forums I thought I take a look for myself at this catalytic converter ...
and to my surprise there is not much of it ... after putting a flashlight at one end we can clearly see that it has big openings ... the airflow restrictions are minimal.
also the back pressure created by this guy is also minimal.
I would bet the increase in power by removing this guy it's only in our heads - placebo :) or in the range of measuring errors on a dyno.

IMG_20180721_200329440.jpg
IMG_20180721_200413145.jpg
IMG_20180721_200445258.jpg

Last edited: