Dead Battery?

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
Two weeks ago I bought an 04' FZ6 with 8200 miles on it. It's been fine till today. At a stop sign it died and would barely turn over before making a bunch of clicks. Could this be a dead battery. I tried during my long ass walk back home to start her up but no dice. As a little background yesterday I did the 2 headlight mod and fixed previously modded podlights, 1 was working as both signal/driving and other was only driving I made both act as both. Also I know TPS sensor recall has not been done but I thought TPS problem wouldn't affect ability to start bike. Anyone have any thoughts,suggestions?

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have an 04 with battery issues...
If you do some searches people have offered loads of advice.

My problem started in a ton of traffic... I replaced the old battery with a Yuasa and was fine till I hit a ton more traffic... Trickle charged and haven't had a problem since

I don't know what kind of traffic you have in San Diego, but not revving enough could be an issue...
Or you could have a bad ground, but as an 04 theres a good chance the battery is just shot...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you break down your battery and charging system it is comprised of many different components. Your battery might not have been in the best of condition and after you did the headlight mod. and fixed the pod lights you may be taxing the system especially while idling. I haven't personally done any tests but I've read people saying that the charging system on most bikes are less efficient in comparison to a car. Not comparing the wattage but the RPMs. It seems the bikes don't charge till higher RPMs compared to a car. There's also the wattage of the system as well as rectification and voltage regulation. All of these combined with good mechanical connections can make a big difference when it comes to a healthy charging system. I've load tested batteries where they pass the load test but the voltage will be off because the battery has become contaminated/sulfated and the charging system thinks the battery is discharged because it doesn't match voltage. Then the charging system loses it efficiency do to heat or expanded duty cycle.

I apologize for being a little wordy on this subject. Most people replace the battery and are good to go in that situation. My son has a Honda 600rr and if he's riding in hot weather he ends up with charging/ battery problems.

I believe if you search the forum you will find a thread that talks about what wattage output our charging systems are rated at with addition discussion about what the mods might draw in comparison. You should be okay with what you're doing and it probably is the battery but you might have to go to someone who has the setup to tell you what's really happening.

Happy Riding...

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading some other threads I got myself a Battery Tender Plus. Looking closer and knowing what to look for now, the previous owner already had the adapter for it on the bike hopefully it solves this issue.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem with the bike dying all the time and I went out and bought a trickle charger. What pissed me off the bike was brand new and i call the dealer and they took it apart and found out what the problem was. I am coping the post that was talked about with my bike

s I BROUGHT MY BIKE ON MONDAY BECAUSE OF THE CHARGING SYSTEM PROBLEM and they called me today and said the the (the spelling might suck) reservoir resonator was bad. What the hell is that???

Well, you either have a really bad telephone connection, or you need to get your hearing checked.

They probably said Regulator/Rectifier, as in Voltage Regulator/Rectifier.

The rectifier part takes the AC from the charging system and turns it into DC. The regulator controls the output of the charging system.

They used to be two separate units, but for about 20 years now, they've all been in the same box, and the name was shortened to Regulator/Rectifier.

Anyway, if it's bad, the bike won't charge. And it's the most common failure point for the charging system. So it sounds like they've solved the problem.

Fred
My Mods- Scorpion C/F cans, arrow mid-pipe,PC111, air box, K&N air filter, speed-0-healer, Dual headlight mod, yellow bulbs, red led kit, F/E, -1/+2 rear sprocket in black, 520 red chain, belly pan, seat cowl, rim stickers, Yamaha logo, Puigg windscreen, FZ6 extended frame sliders, Rizoma grips & bar ends &bars, Pro-Bolt red engine kit, gas cap kit, red sprocket bolts, red radiator panels, red foot pegs, OSO2K rear set plate's, LSL fork sliders & swing-arm sliders.

So I hoped this help you out a little.