Dangerous Motoring

NorcoT

Reaction score
Visit site
This weekend we went for a short ride in the country in the South West of England. Armed with the GoPro we were filming some of our journey to make a video.

For about a 2 miles (riding at the 50mph speed limit) a white van had been tail gating me, I rode in a defensive position as you should to avoid encouraging an overtake unless they are sure they have the space. He then makes an overtake, breaking the speed limit and forces my friend to move over due to an oncoming car.

It may not look significant but what if the car oncoming had to swerve to avoid something kerb side? What if the biker on the left had to avoid a pot hole? What if the biker nor the driver was paying attention to the situation?

Luckily all was fine this time. Here is the video we caught during the incident, what do you think? I would like to hear other opinions as I am biased after being angered by the van driver tailgating me!

Van Driver Make Dangerous Overtake - YouTube

We also made a video of our ride that day here (its not very eventful but it was first time getting the GoPro on the FZ6 so I was playing with angles)

Ride to Weston-Super-Mare on the Fazers - YouTube

Please share your videos of dangerous motorists if you have any

Be Safe :)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This weekend we went for a short ride in the country in the South West of England. Armed with the GoPro we were filming some of our journey to make a video.

For about a 2 miles (riding at the 50mph speed limit) a white van had been tail gating me, I rode in a defensive position as you should to avoid encouraging an overtake unless they are sure they have the space. He then makes an overtake, breaking the speed limit and forces my friend to move over due to an oncoming car.

It may not look significant but what if the car oncoming had to swerve to avoid something kerb side? What if the biker on the left had to avoid a pot hole? What if the biker nor the driver was paying attention to the situation?

Luckily all was fine this time. Here is the video we caught during the incident, what do you think? I would like to hear other opinions as I am biased after being angered by the van driver tailgating me!

Van Driver Make Dangerous Overtake - YouTube

That was such a stupid move by the van driver, it could have gone really wrong, especially with the oncoming red car :eek: I'm pleased your mate was OK.

We also made a video of our ride that day here (its not very eventful but it was first time getting the GoPro on the FZ6 so I was playing with angles)

Sorry when you said Bristol to Weston I couldn't help but think of a blast down the M5 :spank:

Nice vid with some nice effects, loved the west country, even weston-super-mud ;)

Brought back some memories for me, way back when I was based at RAF Locking (now closed).

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that overtake was ridiculous!! Can you read his tag from the video? In the states, that would work well as evidence and he'd get a considerable summons for reckless driving!

And the edited video.. AWESOME job!! You really took the time to *connect* it with background music and the shots in general are interesting. Very well done! :thumbup:

NorcoT

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks :) I could read the plates but I'm not going to follow it up, everyone was ok in the end and tbh I don't want the hassle of getting into legal issues etc of being witness and so on..

I have been involved with closer calls however on the bike where I wished I had video evidence though!

I just published the video to raise some awareness about stupid over taking.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks :) I could read the plates but I'm not going to follow it up, everyone was ok in the end and tbh I don't want the hassle of getting into legal issues etc of being witness and so on..

I have been involved with closer calls however on the bike where I wished I had video evidence though!

I just published the video to raise some awareness about stupid over taking.

I'd pursue it. Those kind of people will end up getting someone killed one day. Maybe a nice hefty fine will be a wake up call that they shouldn't continue their reckless behavior. Even if it doesn't affect him, it at least adds to his driving record so if he continues to act like an ******* he's one step closer to losing his license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
as my motorcycle instructor put it, these guys are liabilities, let them get passed so that they don't do something unexpected and take you out

if i'm honest, if conditions were favourable, i might have been a mile an hour or two over the limit. I don't tend to stick around or get overtaken :eek:

NorcoT

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I will look into what can be done. But my main message is the same none the less, I want drivers and riders out there to think before attempting to overtake.

NorcoT

Reaction score
Visit site
as my motorcycle instructor put it, these guys are liabilities, let them get passed so that they don't do something unexpected and take you out

if i'm honest, if conditions were favourable, i might have been a mile an hour or two over the limit. I don't tend to stick around or get overtaken :eek:

I was taught to ride defensively, so I kept an out position until I could see he was making the over take upon where I gave him more space and moved in, my fear is that if I keep close to the kerb before he moved to overtake that this would encourage him to try overtake in a smaller space as the road would look wider to him initially.

I was definitely up at the speed limit, the last line is that he shouldn't be going faster than I was.

My friend and I were in radio contact so we were aware of him a while back. To be clear when I mentioned riding defensively I don't mean I was stopping him from over taking or anything like that, I was merely riding in the middle of my lane.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Always treat the others as if they're going to do something stupid that way you're hardly ever surprised and in a better frame of mind for alternative maneuvers and actions.

You are a natural at making video! :rockon:

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks for sharing your videos. I know dangerous moments happen too frequently, but I wonder how many are so perfectly captured on video. Probably too many.

It is unusually rainy and cold today in southern California yet I feel like I just got back from a great ride with friends. I don't have a camera and my editing skills are only equal to the 9-year old who taught me iMovie last summer, but I am inspired now to work on these things!

Awesome job on your ride day video! Please keep them coming!! :steve::steve: