Cracks on front tire

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hey, rather than starting a new thread on the same subject, i thought i'd hijack this one! not a nice start i reckon, this being my first post and all.

this is my front tyre with the worst of the cracks visible - is this safe to ride on? The cracks do not reach the structural part of the tyre, they're only up to ca. 3mm deep.

Keep it or change it?

thanks!

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Once I double click to enlarge the picture, I see numerous fine cracks to that tire. IMO, I'd be replacing it. The consequences should it blow out are not worth it..

bundziur

Reaction score
Visit site
the previous owner did mention that he was running the tyres on low pressures, which i assume caused the low-pressure tyre fatigue. As far as replacing the tyres goes, I do have a spare pirelli dragon supercorsa but im not sure if it will be a good match to the metzeler tyre on the back. the opinions on mix&matching tyres vary greatly!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I would replace it. I've got an abrupt flat on my rear before and that wasn't fun. I can't imagine a blow out.

And a crash is gonna cost you at least a few thousand dollars plus time to heal.